The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I would apply to Leeds but my brother goes there :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd just rather go somewhere on my own, so I learn independence better. It's nice to go to a uni no-one in your family has gone :smile: but I don't mind much. About not applying there I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by martynsteel
I'm starting studying Geology at Leicester in two weeks and this is exactly what persuaded me to go to Leicester, all the staff at Leics showed such a deep passion for the subject and that's a really important factor for me

That's awesome! Just out of interest what was your offer from Leicester and did you get offers from other places?

But yeah the teachers I have at sixth form at the minute are so passionate about geography, I've had them for 7 years and they really helped me to get inspired so I think it would be so strange to go to a uni where the lecturers didn't show the same passion :frown:

Good luck for when you start, expect a bunch of questions from me in two weeks haha :wink:
Reply 183
Original post by FlyHigh_er
A lot of people are applying for Leicester :smile: i love the look of UCL too, ad i miss london, moved out two years ago, so wanna go back but i honestly am in love with Manchester at the moment.

I've heard that the Geology dept at Bristol isn't as nice as other unis, but I also read a post by a geology student there on TSR and she said she loves it there etc. so same, I'm still gonna apply and see if I get an offer.

I'm reading two books that have been the commended to me so that I can finish mine off. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never really been a city person which makes applying to UCL seem like the stupidest thing ever but I've recently fallen in love with London as a city, I have family there so I go there often but it would be really different to live there myself, got a feeling I'd miss the quiet :smile:

Which books are you reading? I nearly picked up the Earth by Richard Forley the other day but wanted to look at reviews first haha :smile:
Reply 184
I remember I ruled Leeds out for some reason but now I can't remember the reason :confused: I'll have to have a look again :smile:

Does anyone know what Cardiff's earth science dept is like?
Original post by RumanaK
That's awesome! Just out of interest what was your offer from Leicester and did you get offers from other places?

But yeah the teachers I have at sixth form at the minute are so passionate about geography, I've had them for 7 years and they really helped me to get inspired so I think it would be so strange to go to a uni where the lecturers didn't show the same passion :frown:

Good luck for when you start, expect a bunch of questions from me in two weeks haha :wink:

Oh thats fine haha :smile:

My offers were:
Leicester - BSc Geology - ABB (Firm)
Leeds - BSc Geological Sciences - ABB (Insurance)
Edinburgh - BSc Earth Sciences with Physical Geography - ABB
Lancaster - BSc Environmental Science - ABB
Manchester - MGeol Earth Sciences - AAB

I ended up with AAC and Leicester accepted me :smile:

Edit: If people want to see my personal statement I've uploaded it to here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Geology_6
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RumanaK
I've never really been a city person which makes applying to UCL seem like the stupidest thing ever but I've recently fallen in love with London as a city, I have family there so I go there often but it would be really different to live there myself, got a feeling I'd miss the quiet :smile:

Which books are you reading? I nearly picked up the Earth by Richard Forley the other day but wanted to look at reviews first haha :smile:

Sorry my spelling is horrendous, typing on a broken phone screen :frown:

I'm reading Supercontinent by Ted Nield, and I've also got the Earth by Richard Fortey as well. I want to read Supercontinent first because I heard that its more understandable and I retesting where as the Earth is more inspiring. But read both of them, they're the books that make sure that you want to do Geology. Supercontinent is amazing. Enjoying it so much, then again tectonics is my fave part if geology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Sorry my spelling is horrendous, typing on a broken phone screen :frown:

I'm reading Supercontinent by Ted Nield, and I've also got the Earth by Richard Fortey as well. I want to read Supercontinent first because I heard that its more understandable and I retesting where as the Earth is more inspiring. But read both of them, they're the books that make sure that you want to do Geology. Supercontinent is amazing. Enjoying it so much, then again tectonics is my fave part if geology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooohh ok I'm a little bit obsessed with tectonics, it's actually worrying how much I love it! I'll give that book a go :smile:
Original post by RumanaK
Ooohh ok I'm a little bit obsessed with tectonics, it's actually worrying how much I love it! I'll give that book a go :smile:

It's great honestly, reading it now, started yesterday so not that far but it's already so good. :biggrin: it's primarily about Pangaea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
It's great honestly, reading it now, started yesterday so not that far but it's already so good. :biggrin: it's primarily about Pangaea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just ordered it! Description sounds so good, hurry up 3-5 working days!!!
Original post by RumanaK
Just ordered it! Description sounds so good, hurry up 3-5 working days!!!

I got it from my local library. I love the style that Nield writes in because even though some of the the explanations are degree level stuff, you can still understand it.

The Earth is written by Fortey, and I just found out that he's specifically a palaeontologist and I noticed that all his books are on that part of geology which I'm not so keen on so I'm a bit put off, still gonna read it though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
I got it from my local library. I love the style that Nield writes in because even though some of the the explanations are degree level stuff, you can still understand it.

The Earth is written by Fortey, and I just found out that he's specifically a palaeontologist and I noticed that all his books are on that part of geology which I'm not so keen on so I'm a bit put off, still gonna read it though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAHA "Forley" I'm so uneducated...
Original post by RumanaK
HAHA "Forley" I'm so uneducated...

Looool I didn't even notice. Then again I can't chat, my post before last I think it was, if it was an English essay, would get a U grade :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Looool I didn't even notice. Then again I can't chat, my post before last I think it was, if it was an English essay, would get a U grade :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And they say the education system is failing, I don't see it myself......
Original post by RumanaK
And they say the education system is failing, I don't see it myself......

Haha I know right 😅 what A2 subjects are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Haha I know right 😅 what A2 subjects are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geography, Biology and Psychology - not the most hardcore subjects in the world! You?
Original post by RumanaK
Geography, Biology and Psychology - not the most hardcore subjects in the world! You?

Maths, Chemistry and Economics, I dropped biology after AS though. Just couldn't stand it anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Maths, Chemistry and Economics, I dropped biology after AS though. Just couldn't stand it anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dropped chemistry after AS, couldn't stand the poor teaching hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RumanaK
I dropped chemistry after AS, couldn't stand the poor teaching hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's peak, and geology is mostly chemistry as well. You have good subjects though. What's you're first choice atm? And have you done any ECs? I didn't go to any open days as well. Battling on whether to apply to imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
Oh that's peak, and geology is mostly chemistry as well. You have good subjects though. What's you're first choice atm? And have you done any ECs? I didn't go to any open days as well. Battling on whether to apply to imperial.

I do really enjoy chemistry so hopefully I'll be able and to pick it up easily with the right teaching.
Leicester is my favourite atm and I've only been to Leicester and Bristol open days and don't plan on going to anymore. I'll apply to 5 that i like the look of and then I'll have a look round the ones I get offers from before I choose firm and insurance.
I've done stuff like conservation voluntary work, I go horse riding and hill walking a lot, I entered a geography competition with a geology essay and I'm head girl at my sixth form so I had a fair bit to talk about!
Imperial prospects look amazing but it's far too maths orientated for me :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending