The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Offer from Imperial!
Reply 381
Original post by kkohli17
Offer from Imperial!

How long does it take to get a reply after the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
They told me about a week.
Reply 383
Original post by FlyHigh_er
hey :biggrin: always pick a course that is accredited if you can. if you don't, then you will find it hard to get jobs, according to a student I spoke to. Geological firms value accredited courses because they will know the base content of the degree, thus, they will know what you should know by the time you graduate. it does make a difference. what unis are you thinking of applying to?

Thank you for answering! The universities I have filled in currently are: Exeter, Liverpool, Royal Holloway and Southampton. I am considering applying to Leicester, but don't know which one to switch it out for! Portsmouth is only there as a lower entry requirement back up, and at the same time I don't quite see myself at Royal Holloway so I have reached a bit of an impasse. :s-smilie:
Original post by Owlette
Thank you for answering! The universities I have filled in currently are: Exeter, Liverpool, Royal Holloway and Southampton. I am considering applying to Leicester, but don't know which one to switch it out for! Portsmouth is only there as a lower entry requirement back up, and at the same time I don't quite see myself at Royal Holloway so I have reached a bit of an impasse. :s-smilie:

If you know that you can get the grades for any of the other ones then you don't necessarily need a lower one. I didnt apply to anything under ABB. But if you're wary then apply. I would say swap Royal H for Leicester. But it depends on what you think you can do
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 385
Got an offer from durham! Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 386
Original post by cclelaine

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you send your application?
Reply 387
Original post by cclelaine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, what are the conditions? :biggrin:
Reply 388
Just received an offer from Edinburgh, very surprising, thought that they waited until February - March to give out places.
Original post by Dolanja
Just received an offer from Edinburgh, very surprising, thought that they waited until February - March to give out places.

congrats, when did you send your UCAS?
Reply 390
Original post by Charlottecl
congrats, when did you send your UCAS?

Thanks :smile: Early october-ish, between the 10th and the 15th.
Original post by Dolanja
Thanks :smile: Early october-ish, between the 10th and the 15th.

ah right, i sent mine on the 18th of october, so i hope to hear from them soon! congratulations i really want an offer!
Reply 392
ah right, i sent mine on the 18th of october, so i hope to hear from them soon! congratulations i really want an offer!

Hopefully they'll get back to you soon then :biggrin: Are you from Scotland by chance? They might give out all the Scottish offers at a later date or something similar, out of all the people that I know that have applied to Edinburgh this year and in previous years, most of them didn't get offers before Christmas. :s-smilie:
Reply 393
Original post by Juvula
When did you send your application?

Around 9-10 Oct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 394
Original post by Dolanja
Congrats, what are the conditions? :biggrin:

AAA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dolanja
Hopefully they'll get back to you soon then :biggrin: Are you from Scotland by chance? They might give out all the Scottish offers at a later date or something similar, out of all the people that I know that have applied to Edinburgh this year and in previous years, most of them didn't get offers before Christmas. :s-smilie:
Nope I'm from Newcastle, someone in my school has an offer and the sixth form staff were surprised because Edinburgh are one of the slowest usually, loads of uni's seem to be offering really quickly this year, Glasgow gave me an offer in like 3 days or something haha
Reply 396
Original post by Dolanja
Yeah, applied already and I ended up applying for the 3 year, mostly because it has lower entry requirements, the first and second year is the same and you can switch to the MGeol at the end of a year with satisfactory performance. I really needed a uni that I liked that had ABB, so there we go. It's a weird system they have, but I'm not complaining :biggrin: How about you, where are you applying to?

Are you going to do the 4 year course? I really want to and I think I'm gonna apply for it but quite concerned over finances... hahah
Reply 397
Original post by deecharrl
Are you going to do the 4 year course? I really want to and I think I'm gonna apply for it but quite concerned over finances... hahah

Yeah, definitely going for the 4 year. Leicester is the only one that I applied to that is a 3 year, and that's only because it's so easy to change between them.
I was lucky enough to meet a climate scientist and geologist over the summer, and the #1 thing that they recommended was getting a masters, and ideally doing it in a 4 year course, rather than paying extra + taking longer to do a research masters. Apparently it's a lot more difficult to compete in the field without a masters these days and with a BSc you're kind of limited to things like mudlogging. I mean, it's another year without work like you said, which is expensive, but it's so worth it in the long run. :smile: You should definitely apply for it :biggrin:
Reply 398
Nope I'm from Newcastle, someone in my school has an offer and the sixth form staff were surprised because Edinburgh are one of the slowest usually, loads of uni's seem to be offering really quickly this year, Glasgow gave me an offer in like 3 days or something haha

3 days?! That's amazing :biggrin: What was the offer if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Dolanja
3 days?! That's amazing :biggrin: What was the offer if you don't mind me asking?

AAb so it's abit lower :smile:, might end up having it as my insurance or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending