The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FlyHigh_er
Oh that's good then, and your subjects are good. By the way, not that you don't want to, but don't feel like you have to do geology a level just because your school does it if you don't want to, because most applicants don't have it, because if you eventually feel like you want to drop it because of teaching in your school etc you probably can't as it wouldn't look right. Not saying you are picking it because of that, just making a point because geology doesn't require the subject at A Level. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :biggrin: but I really want to do Geology! I think it will just let me see what kind of topics you study and I have a really keen interest in things like fossils and volcanoes :smile: and it goes well with Geography :smile:
Original post by Marcusroye98
Thanks :biggrin: but I really want to do Geology! I think it will just let me see what kind of topics you study and I have a really keen interest in things like fossils and volcanoes :smile: and it goes well with Geography :smile:

That's good then, I hope you don't get turned off! I didn't do it at a level but I've read books so uni shouldn't really take by surprise ... I hope. Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 783
What are imperial interviews like??
Who's going to the interview day at Manchester on the 5th of Feb!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone thinking of firming Edinburgh or Imperial? I am seriously having issues deciding...:frown:
Original post by Charlottecl
anyone thinking of firming Edinburgh or Imperial? I am seriously having issues deciding...:frown:

I'm firming Edinburgh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey :smile: has anyone had an interview at Southampton for geology? mine is next week and I was wondering what kind of thing to expect!
Reply 788
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new and am pretty glad this forum exists :smile:

I've applied for Environmental Geoscience, so hopefully I can contribute :biggrin:

Otherwise I've got offers from Edinburgh, UCL and Bristol and still waiting for a reply from St. Andrews and Durham.
Don't know if this is helpful or really relevant but to anyone stumbling across the internet who is curious, I've also applied to McGill, University of Toronto and UBC in Canada (International Student).

How's everyone feeling about their firms and insurances? I'm have a tough time deciding between Edinburgh and UCL (haven't visited and won't get the chance to) as those are my two top choices right now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 789
What area of geology are you all thinking you want to go intonow? :smile:
Petroleum/oil and gas

Posted from TSR Mobile
I absolutely love Edinburgh but I'd feel so guilty turning down imperial!
Original post by Charlottecl
I absolutely love Edinburgh but I'd feel so guilty turning down imperial!

:smile: just go where you'd be happy, don't feel guilty. They won't mind :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geology vs Geophysics?
Original post by deecharrl
What area of geology are you all thinking you want to go intonow? :smile:

As it stands I'll probably go down the petroleum/oil and gas route also. Really fancy working in an offshore rotation capacity, my friend does it, 28 dats on, 28 off, so where most 9-5ers get 1 month a year or something off, he gets 6 months.
Reply 795
Anyone going to ucl on Wednesday? Do you know if they are emailing us a programme of the day?
Original post by deecharrl
Anyone going to ucl on Wednesday? Do you know if they are emailing us a programme of the day?

Hello again! :smile: Dr Wood emailed the programme when he replied to my RSVP. Didn't you get it? If not, here it is:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390238620.229681.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797
Original post by Joules hebden
Anyone who has an offer for Earth sci at Oxford willing to share their reasons for accepting or rejecting their offers. Daughter torn between her imperial and oxford offer. Thanks

Hello there! :smile:

Wow, congradulations to your daughter. I cannot speak on behalf of her of course but my main reason that I will choose Oxford EarthSci over Imperial is because of the course and the teaching itself. I applied for Geology and Geophysics at Imperial, so we may not be in the same position but I felt that talking to the tutors at both universities, the course at Oxford suited me better and will allow me to gain a wider scope of the subject (obviously I don't know very much at this point, but this is what I felt).

Also as both courses at both unis are highly respected, with excellent opportunities to go abroad and 90%+ graduate employment, I felt that I could weigh my decision more on how I feel about the universities themselves and which one I preferred overall... I know that this may be a lot different for your daughter, but after visiting both I felt more at home at Oxford - the people were friendlier and I preferred the city to the area that Imperial is in.

I realise this is a hard decision - I hope I've made the right one and hope this helps (even if it's just a little bit!). Best of luck to her :biggrin:
Original post by loua96
Hello there! :smile:

Wow, congradulations to your daughter. I cannot speak on behalf of her of course but my main reason that I will choose Oxford EarthSci over Imperial is because of the course and the teaching itself. I applied for Geology and Geophysics at Imperial, so we may not be in the same position but I felt that talking to the tutors at both universities, the course at Oxford suited me better and will allow me to gain a wider scope of the subject (obviously I don't know very much at this point, but this is what I felt).

Also as both courses at both unis are highly respected, with excellent opportunities to go abroad and 90%+ graduate employment, I felt that I could weigh my decision more on how I feel about the universities themselves and which one I preferred overall... I know that this may be a lot different for your daughter, but after visiting both I felt more at home at Oxford - the people were friendlier and I preferred the city to the area that Imperial is in.

I realise this is a hard decision - I hope I've made the right one and hope this helps (even if it's just a little bit!). Best of luck to her :biggrin:

Thanks Ioua96 for your reply. Reading comments from others on TSR has helped her. We are going down to Oxford again soon, spending a few hours there again may well be all she needs to make that decision. Well done on your offers and good luck with your future exams, you may well meet up in October.:smile:
Hi I was just wondering, for anyone thats been to the Manchester interview already, what did you wear? I have no clue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending