The Student Room Group

How long is too long?

Hi everyone,

I've been waiting for almost a month to hear back from a company after completing an assessment day, and telephone interview prior to that, for a graduate scheme. I kept in contact with one of the other graduates attending the assessment day and she heard back that she had not got the job over a week and a half ago.

I phoned up the HR person who had organised the assessment day and she said she'd let me know by last Tuesday! I then emailed her on Thursday and have had no response. So I've given up trying to communicate with her. My next plan was to phone up the general number and make an enquiry.

They've taken all my details (passport, driving license, bank statement) and even required that I fill out a load of paperwork (police checks etc) before the assessment day. It just seems wrong that I haven't even had an email saying they are still considering my application and will let me know as soon as possible.

Have any of you had to wait this long? And how long should I wait before I start getting pushy?
Original post by RichF
Hi everyone,

I've been waiting for almost a month to hear back from a company after completing an assessment day, and telephone interview prior to that, for a graduate scheme. I kept in contact with one of the other graduates attending the assessment day and she heard back that she had not got the job over a week and a half ago.

I phoned up the HR person who had organised the assessment day and she said she'd let me know by last Tuesday! I then emailed her on Thursday and have had no response. So I've given up trying to communicate with her. My next plan was to phone up the general number and make an enquiry.

They've taken all my details (passport, driving license, bank statement) and even required that I fill out a load of paperwork (police checks etc) before the assessment day. It just seems wrong that I haven't even had an email saying they are still considering my application and will let me know as soon as possible.

Have any of you had to wait this long? And how long should I wait before I start getting pushy?

A month is a reasonably long time to wait, but that amount of time (or longer) isn't unheard of. For example, I had an AC in January 2012 that I still haven't heard back from.

Based on the information above, you are a borderline candidate that they don't want to reject, but also don't want to accept until they have seen a number of other candidates. They have probably run/will be running assessment centres over the next few weeks and will hear back after that.
Reply 2
Original post by RichF
Hi everyone,

Which grad scheme is it?
I would write them a light hearted email or make a similar call to them, and say I was following up the above and wondered if I was still in the running for the position? If they farm you off with a lame reason, then move on and look for another. I know its disheartening but just stay strong, I am sure there's more out there.
I think at this point you can probably chase again. Best to stick with the person whose contact details you have, rather than going for a general phone number.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice guys. I did contact them again and then they finally emailed me this:

Thank you for attending the Graduate Assessment Centre on Friday 16th August 2013. Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for appointment on this occasion.

We would, however, like to keep your details on file for any future suitable vacancies that may arise.

In the meantime if you have any queries, or no longer wish to pursue your application please do not hesitate to contact me.

Can't believe after jumping through all their hoops and waiting a month all I get is a generic rejection email with no reasoning. I have responded and asked for full feedback as they did mention this and it seems that most companies offer this if you attend a full assessment day, but I have a funny feeling they won't bother!

Back to the drawing board then.
Original post by RichF
Thanks for the advice guys. I did contact them again and then they finally emailed me this:

Can't believe after jumping through all their hoops and waiting a month all I get is a generic rejection email with no reasoning. I have responded and asked for full feedback as they did mention this and it seems that most companies offer this if you attend a full assessment day, but I have a funny feeling they won't bother!

Back to the drawing board then.

Email, or call and ask for feedback . . might be useful to you for future applications/interviews. It might simply be that you all interviewed very well on the day, but someone had that little bit extra 'spark'.

Good luck on your quest though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending