The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this a taboo or something like that? No one wants to talk about salaries?
Reply 2
Bank Robber
Reply 3
most probably jobs in financial sector. front office jobs
Reply 4
Actuaries are high earners. Need to be good with your maths though..
giwtis10
I think that being a manager or a doctor or even a solicitor can provide you good money, without the need of a lot of money to begin your career.

Wouldn't studying longer mean you have to pay more even if its just in terms of tuition fees.
Reply 6
These are the following jobs that i can think off and pay well
Pilot
Accounting
Doctor (very stressful for the first 10 yrs, that is if you do choose to train/study through the first 10 years or else its hard all time)
Lawyer
Civil Engineering
Financial Sector
Estate
Management mostly at big or fairly meduim organizations

Lots more but cant think of them

The 1 thing that can bring the most money is your own business, i made survey 2 years ago with a span of 1200 people and got 80% who think its real estate as i insured all variety of people were included

Regards
Hashem
Investment Banking has the highest starting salary. Some companies pay over 65k for graduates. This can rise up to a 200k in 5 or so years if youre very good.
Reply 8
Prad
Actuaries are high earners. Need to be good with your maths though..

how about Maths and economics from warwick?? will i get a decent job like in goldman sachs,morgan stanley...etcetc...
Any job can make you loads of dosh if you put your mind to it.
Finance is a well paid area although it depends on what area you specialize in, other then that dentist is a well paid job.
Reply 11
beach_surf_babe
Any job can make you loads of dosh if you put your mind to it.

I think it should be noted that the above is a particularly vacuous statement.
Reply 12
Whats the average salary for a solicitor and accountant upon graduation?
Reply 13
Given that you're going to be spending at least 8 hours per day for around 240 days a year doing this job (more time if you really want to succeed at it), is the salary really the only important factor? If you were offered a job that paid incredibly well but never gave you any free time, would you take it? What about one that you found horribly dull or immoral?
Reply 14
Hit the nail on the head Trousers:smile:

You people are obsessed with money, its quality of life and enjoyment that are the most important things, as more money definitely doesn't mean a better quality of life.
Reply 15
x.narb.x
Hit the nail on the head Trousers:smile:

You people are obsessed with money, its quality of life and enjoyment that are the most important things, as more money definitely doesn't mean a better quality of life.

It does up to a point. I don't see the benefit of 60k over 50k, though.
Reply 16
For a normal salaried job, investment banker, followed by actuary, accountant and corporate lawyer.

If you meant at all though, then entrepreneur, professional sportsman, singer and movie star would probably be top.
Reply 17
coughsyrup

Yes, obviously you have to earn enough to get by. But if you're thinking of a career rather than a job (ie, you're not going to be behind the counter at McDonald's until you retire) then you'll almost certainly be comfortable money-wise (unless you have seven kids to support or someone steals your house).

Maybe I'm strange, but it has never occurred to me to choose a career on the basis of how much money I'll earn doing it. The thought has never even crossed my mind.
Reply 18
coughsyrup

Not at all, I'd rather be earning 30k in a job I love than 100k in a job I hate.
Reply 19
Trousers
Yes, obviously you have to earn enough to get by. But if you're thinking of a career rather than a job (ie, you're not going to be behind the counter at McDonald's until you retire) then you'll almost certainly be comfortable money-wise (unless you have seven kids to support or someone steals your house).

Maybe I'm strange, but it has never occurred to me to choose a career on the basis of how much money I'll earn doing it. The thought has never even crossed my mind.

It is of some importantance. To some more than others. Some will be because thats all they want, in minority probably though. I see it as important, as starting environmental consultants dont tend to start on more than 15k a year tops, before tax. Enough to get by. Buy you might be doing to butlins for your hols.

Latest

Trending

Trending