The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
fuglyduckling
Rare jobs: entreprenuer; actor; music star.

Regular jobs: hedge fund; investment banker; barrister; private surgeon; management consultant.

Management consultancy isn't that brilliantly paid. My brother left business school at the same time as his flatmate (obviously) and in the first year earnt $100k more than his flatmate as an investment banker rather than management consultant.
coughsyrup
Management consultancy isn't that brilliantly paid. My brother left business school at the same time as his flatmate (obviously) and in the first year earnt $100k more than his flatmate as an investment banker rather than management consultant.

No, but consulting is much harder to get into.

By the way fuglyduckling, how could you rate hedge fund trader as being a "regular" job? A lot of them are worth 9 figures, some even in the billions.
Reply 42
coughsyrup

Depends where you are. Management consultants can earn a fortune, and even recent grads can be on £40-50k. Plus full pay while doing an MBA, and onto shed loads afterwards. Not quite banking, but as close as you'll get with another salaried profession.
Reply 43
Kittennffc
That all depends on what type of property you want to get into. Say you buy a house in a student area, you're bound to make money if theres the demand for them (ie. not a load of student accomodation shooting up), but more than likely it'll be a big winner.

Not "bound" to make money - however much you make from rentals can be wiped out if the market falls. If it has a minor correction, say, and loses 10% of the value, for an average house that's over £20,000. That's a long time's rental income.

Kittennffc
Say for example you buy a house, do it up in an area that isn't so desirable its slightly pointless. But in the next 10 or 20 years the area might be redeveloped into somewhere that people actually want to live.

Or it might not. And even so, houses in undesirable areas usually have it priced into them a little that it might be redeveloped, and hence aren't always that cheap.

Key rule of investment - for you to make above odds money, someone else has to make less. If you think you're better informed than the 80% of all investment that comes from institutional investors, who have teams of people working all hours to find out what's undervalued, then expect above average returns. If not, then the odds are against you.
wave_o_mutilation
He means that it was an empty, meaningless statement. Because you said *any* job will make you money if you work hard enough - this isn't true of someone at mcdonalds.

Well if you climbed your way up the ladder to management then you would.
beach_surf_babe
Well if you climbed your way up the ladder to management then you would.

I think thats fairly unlikely if you're trying to move up from flipping burgers. Staff turnover at places like McDonalds is very high, I wouldn't say the career of a lot of people at McDonalds lasts more than a few years at the most.
I know a smart young guy who started out by flipping burgers and now co-manages one branch of that sickly, disgusting 'restaraunt'. Still, he's off to do a nanotechnology degree now so I guess it wasn't a very rewarding career anyway. :p:
Reply 47
Drogue
Depends where you are. Management consultants can earn a fortune, and even recent grads can be on £40-50k. Plus full pay while doing an MBA, and onto shed loads afterwards. Not quite banking, but as close as you'll get with another salaried profession.

They both had studied for MBAs, banking in New York and management consultancy in London. The salaries in management consultancy are higher than many careers, like an engineering career, for example, and there are serious perks but the salary really can't stand in a bracket with hedge fund managers.
Reply 48
LBC213

By the way fuglyduckling, how could you rate hedge fund trader as being a "regular" job? A lot of them are worth 9 figures, some even in the billions.

Really? how come.
Reply 49
coughsyrup
They both had studied for MBAs, banking in New York and management consultancy in London. The salaries in management consultancy are higher than many careers, like an engineering career, for example, and there are serious perks but the salary really can't stand in a bracket with hedge fund managers.

As said, it depends where you are. On average, you may be right. However I know of hedge fund managers earning less than £1m and consultants earning more than £2m, so it is possible to be in the same bracket. To compare like with like, a hedge fund manager is as high as a partner at a consultancy. I'm not saying banking doesn't usually earn you more, but to say it always does wouldn't be true. Consultancy is very well paid.
LBC213

Well, not regular per se ... but different to being a sports star or actor.
fuglyduckling
Well, not regular per se ... but different to being a sports star or actor.

I'd much rather be a hedge fund manager than a sports star or actor, hedge funds offer higher earning potential, and managers at good hedge funds usually out do actors and sports people in pay. Fame holds no value to me.

AYE

Really? how come.

Because a similar number of people who apply to banks apply to management consultancies yet the consultancies have MUCH less openings and take on less people.
LBC213
Because a similar number of people who apply to banks apply to management consultancies yet the consultancies have MUCH less openings and take on less people.

Depends what types of MCs and areas of IB you're on about. Competition for the top MCs (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) and front-office of top ~7 IBs should be roughly on par.
Edit: Actually it may not be, some stats would be useful.
Reply 53
x.narb.x
Not at all, I'd rather be earning 30k in a job I love than 100k in a job I hate.

i agree with you same here
Reply 54
Chassez
Depends what types of MCs and areas of IB you're on about. Competition for the top MCs (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) and front-office of top ~7 IBs should be roughly on par.

I'm not sure, each of the top MCs takes on less than 20% of what the top IBs does. In apps per place, especially credible apps per place, I reckon McKinsey and BCG would be harder than front office atthe top IBs.
Yeah perhaps. I've seen a lot of wannabe-consultants not even bothering with McKinsey on the premise that they know they have no chance, and hearsay that you need a 1st.
Reply 56
Yeh, it's almost a shame I'm becoming slightly tempted :redface:
Well if ur after money, study law, become a lawyer/solicitor for a few years (good pay anyway), then apply to be a solicitor on the queens bench (QB), as they earn at LEAST £200,000 per year......some even get £500,000. lol u have to be good though.
seanaldo123
Well if ur after money, study law, become a lawyer/solicitor for a few years (good pay anyway), then apply to be a solicitor on the queens bench (QB), as they earn at LEAST £200,000 per year......some even get £500,000. lol u have to be good though.

How much is a "few years"? How easy (or difficult) is to gain a place on the Queen's bench?

The point I'm trying to make is £500k isn't that rare for a good associate (5-ish years in) in banking to be earning (I assume the lawyers who are on QB are "very good" at what they do).
Reply 59
BombShell
I agree with narb and trousers. My brother earns 50K basis and gets up to 150k bonuses, but he has to work from 7 in the morning until 10.30 - 11 at night. He loves the job, and says he'll give it up in a few years when he burns out, but I don't know if I could put up with that... You only have a short life, why spend it obsessing over money and working yourself into the ground?

Although I don't quite have his luxury of choice with jobs (us ex-poly grads aren't afforded quite as much of a selection :p: ) I'd still prefer to be comfortable and happy.

There's a lot of high paid jobs out there. Tere is the traditional route - doctor, lawyer, investment banker - and there's a generation of new jobs that all bring high wages. You need to find what you're good at and work round that idea to do the best you can in it.

What job does your brother do?

Latest

Trending

Trending