The Student Room Group

Why are there so many girls on dating sites so shallow? This is hilarious!

So, I thought I'd create a fake dating profile on POF. I put up a couple of pics of some below average/average looking (facially) guy from instagram. The pics I posted were of him having fun (one with a couple pals in a club and other in the garden at what looked like a birthday party with a female friend/relative. I made the profile really interesting, added humour, said I had a great job in the city as a stock broker. I got a few msgs from girls, but mainly of low quality/below average looking.

I went about a week without many msgs, but lots of girls were viewing the profile, yet not saying hi. so i decided to bring out the big boys! the guy had some pics on his insta of him posing in the mirror, flexing his muscles etc and i thought i'd post them. guess what? more replies, but this time higher quality girls (and also some munters) commenting "nice bod ;-)" "Mmm, do you work out?" and one girl said "would love to feel your muscles." the girl who said the latter quote was average, but cute looking.

1st week of making the profile = 5 msgs (no of attractive girls = 0)
2nd week = 16 msgs (number of attractive girls = i'd say at least 7)

I found this bamboozling if i'm honest. Is this the case with a lot of dating sites or just POF. I would expect girls on this site to be looking for something different from a dating site because, well, you girls on TSR are smarter than the average POF girl (no offence average POF girls).

Scroll to see replies

I don't know why you're posting pics of some other dude on a dating site, I doubt he'd appreciate you using his pics.
I have no idea what kind of a dating site that is, it sounds like most of the people who go there aren't looking for personality. You don't really have a large enough sample to say much of anything though.
I imagine with dating sites, there's little to comment on besides the photos when initially starting up conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by incipientT
I have no idea what kind of a dating site that is, it sounds like most of the people who go there aren't looking for personality. You don't really have a large enough sample to say much of anything though.

It's plenty of fish dating site
Original post by WhiteWalker
It's plenty of fish dating site

Short of going and spending a heap of time on the site that won't help me.
Reply 6
Original post by shuheb789
I don't know why you're posting pics of some other dude on a dating site, I doubt he'd appreciate you using his pics.

Maybe not, but I've closed the account now, anyway. I just wanted to experiment, like some women do on there with fake pics of attractive girls.
Reply 7
Wait wait wait, are you trying to tell me you're surprised that posting an attractive photo (on a dating site no less) attracts attention and comments about your physical appearance? :s-smilie:

Why are you using some random guy's photos on a dating website? I doubt he'd appreciate that...

Also, I find it quite entertaining that you judged the girls messaging you at first as "low quality/below average" in physical terms, then proceeded to call the better looking girls shallow...

EDIT: Plenty of Fish is fairly image-based in general, there's nothing specific to women about that. My Dad was on there for a while and used to show me profiles, and from what I've seen there isn't very much space or scope for describing yourself, unfortunately, and the photos take precedence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not sure why your using someones photos - bit odd. Its not rocket science that if you put a good looking photo on a dating site your more likely to get replies.

Anyway, I havent heard very good things about POF. If your going to use a dating site maybe there are better ones
errrr... you are aware you broke the law right?

also you are the one that sounds shallow... you are the one that keeps using average/ugly - that is YOUR opinion and nothing else
Why does this bamboozle you?
A more attractive man gets more messages?

On dating sites everybody is a lot more picky. If somebody "unattractive" approached me in a bar I might still find myself interested due to personality/charm/chemistry etc. You can't see these qualities on a dating site, and majority of girls aren't going to message back someone they don't like the look of. It doesn't make them shallow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
also p.s my friend is on there she is a model (a very good and well respected one) everyone thinks its fake/stolen images but it is 100% her, she uses the site because she doesn't go out much between her work as a model and running her own animal rescue center.... dont assume people arent using their photos
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
having been on POF before, it seems to be more a place for finding a sexual partner rather than a relationship. As a woman you really have to filter through some pretty gross messages which many of the guys think are acceptable to send. Also you do have to send messages to the girls you like not wait for them to come to you. I dont think your experiment is a very good one, putting topless photos on there suggests that your out looking for sex so you will get more women messaging you as that is what they are looking for. If someone is looking for sex, they probably care more about the looks than your personality.
Original post by WhiteWalker
low quality/below average looking.

higher quality girls (and also some munters)

average, but cute looking.

And it's them that's shallow :rolleyes:

You can't blame them for going off photos when all they have is that and a few sentences. It sounds like you judged the girls by their facial attractiveness pretty quickly, why is that so much better than judging someone's body?
Reply 14
Original post by rattusratus
errrr... you are aware you broke the law right?

Probably not! Agree the guy's a bit weird but that's just scaremongering!

Unless someone tries to make money out of it (see Rihanna and Topshop recently) you have no right to stop others using your own image, unless you are under 18 in which case your parents do.
Reply 15
So hang on a second...
You post pictures of a below average looking guy and get a few responses from below average girls.

You post more attractive photos and you get more responses from better looking girls.

What the **** did you expect???? Really stupid, pointless endeavour. And take the poor boys photos down.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by roh
Probably not! Agree the guy's a bit weird but that's just scaremongering!

Unless someone tries to make money out of it (see Rihanna and Topshop recently) you have no right to stop others using your own image, unless you are under 18 in which case your parents do.

I worked as a photographer and model for 6 years so yes actually it is illegal... think you need to learn about COPYRIGHT laws, who ever took the photo owns copyright (despite the fact it might just be a crappy camera phone picture) you cannot use it without permission or you have stolen it which is ILLEGAL

not to mention the more serious point of identity theft, falsifying information in an attempt to deceive and they could pull you for suspected attempted entrapment too as that is what it looks like and you cant prove otherwise... its a ridiculously stupid thing to do

they can crack down pretty hard on this stuff, how do you think they catch large amount of pedophiles? :rolleyes:
You have proved that generally, below average men attract below average women, and vice versa. This has almost been gospel in the world of social psychology for years, and I fail to understand why this is so terrifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by rattusratus
I worked as a photographer and model for 6 years so yes actually it is illegal... think you need to learn about COPYRIGHT laws, who ever took the photo owns copyright (despite the fact it might just be a crappy camera phone picture) you cannot use it without permission or you have stolen it which is ILLEGAL

not to mention the more serious point of identity theft, falsifying information in an attempt to deceive and they could pull you for suspected attempted entrapment too as that is what it looks like and you cant prove otherwise... its a ridiculously stupid thing to do

they can crack down pretty hard on this stuff, how do you think they catch large amount of pedophiles? :rolleyes:

To copyright something you need to copyright it.

I'd wager it isn't, though it's not totally clear. It would seem under Seward (2005) you need to make, or attempt to, money out of it before it becomes a serious issue. Yes this may develop further and it's not 100% clear cut, but there's no sign the CPS wishes to change the situation from where it currently stands by putting a test case through.
Original post by roh
To copyright something you need to copyright it.

I'd wager it isn't, though it's not totally clear. It would seem under Seward (2005) you need to make, or attempt to, money out of it before it becomes a serious issue. Yes this may develop further and it's not 100% clear cut, but there's no sign the CPS wishes to change the situation from where it currently stands by putting a test case through.

learn the law... copyright is issued the second the shutter is pressed lol you dont have to apply for it at all

money has nothing to do with it... piracy is still illegal if you dont exchange money what you copied :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending