The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't even remember what the questions were like. I don't know, I don't think the content itself had got easier for science, but GCSE was much more structured and it was easy to revise, using the specification... so it seemed easier? Plus I didn't really know how to study or revise when I was in Year 9 so that might've made it seem harder.
Reply 2
LOL red samuri, also gammon a level 6 equates to a D at GCSE not a B, a B is level 8.
We didn't have to do external SATs so I can't really comment.
Reply 4
If there was an idiot smiley, now would be a good time to enter it.
Reply 5
:stupid:

This is the closest match.

:sucks:
Hobbesian
LOL red samuri, also gammon a level 6 equates to a D at GCSE not a B, a B is level 8.

I've heard this before too, but I find it hard to believe I got the equivalent of a B at GCSE Maths in Year 9. Anyone got proof?
Reply 7
Hashshashin
I've heard this before too, but I find it hard to believe I got the equivalent of a B at GCSE Maths in Year 9. Anyone got proof?

My English Teacher always said that a level 7 in English = Grade C/B at GCSE level. There is a small bridge between KS3 and KS4 and many of the skills are used but GCSEs are no way easier than SATs, if that was the case every Year 9 should be doing GCSEs now.
Gammon
I really think so especially in science.
I remember really trying to revise for my science SATs but finding the questions so difficult.GCSE science has been kinda simple. I got a 6 in SATs which I am told equates to a B grade whereas I am on course for an A a GCSE!!
Also english was tricky I got a 5 which is meant to be a C bt now i'm predicted an A!! (My paper went badly though so I guess I wont get it)
What do y'all think??

It's just you :wink:
Hobbesian

She doesnt mean like that! She means, basically if you get a level 6 in maths, they tell you within two years studying for GCSE you should be able to get a B. Of course, this is just the rough guide that teachers work on.

And my brothers in year 9, and i can safely say that maths is stupidly harder, english is a silly one, and in science i think its the questions. Some questions suite different people and the SATs have a very different style of asking things compared to some boards.
probably you have academically improved since year 9 and you revised more fir the GCSE's and thats why you feel GCSE's were easier.

& about the whole level\ grade thing- people should not get it twisted.
in yr 9 SATs, if you get a level 6 and you carry on what your doing (i.e. learning the content and doing coursework and homework etc) you are ON COURSE of getting a B/C @ GCSE.
if you get level 7 in SATs you are ON COURSE of getting a A/B @ GCSE
LEVEL 8 = ON COURSE of getting A/A*
but of course nothing is guaranteed if you start to slack- you will no longer be on course to getting the grade.

in math a level 8= B/C
but in sci and eng, you cannot really compare as the content at SATs is clearly very different from the one at GCSE.
Reply 11
Even still there are exeptions because i know someone who got 666 in sats and came out with 8A* and 2A at gcse
Reply 12
Gammon
I remember really trying to revise for my science SATs

I don't understand people revising for SATs. Do they actually count for something? We didn't even have to do them, I just did GCSE seperate award science instead. They made changes to the maths sets from the SATs results and completely ignored the results in english. Are they used as an entrance test for schools in the mainland UK or something?
Reply 13
You're all making me feel so stupid.
Thank you Janine, that is what I mean.
My teachers told me that if you get an 8 in SATS, you are capeable of an A* at GCSE.
if you get a 7, you are capeable of an A
If you get a 6, you are capeable of a B
If you get a 5, you are capeable of a C

And I stick by words. I found the SATs science questions extremely difficult in their structure compared to GCSE's. Also the english was much more creative in the SAT's (a skill that I lack) whilst now we are tested on poem analysis and it is much more intersting. Creative writing accounts for a smaller percentage.

I am not dumb, it is a good observation I made. :-)
Reply 14
And please ignore the fact that I have just spelt capable wrong four times lol
Reply 15
My teachers told me that if you get an 8 in SATS, you are capeable of an A* at GCSE.
if you get a 7, you are capeable of an A
If you get a 6, you are capeable of a B
If you get a 5, you are capeable of a C

I think I would agree with that. It sounds roughly like how people are doing and what they are expecting compared with what they got. People that I know anyway.

NM
You got to say that the Edexcel Maths Paper 2 was proper piss, I think I found Maths SATs harder, apart from that...
ashmufc
You got to say that the Edexcel Maths Paper 2 was proper piss, I think I found Maths SATs harder, apart from that...

Really? I very much doubt you'd have achieved better than a B if you'd taken that paper in year 9. It'd be the rough equivalent of taking an easy A2 paper.
Reply 18
harr
I don't understand people revising for SATs. Do they actually count for something? We didn't even have to do them, I just did GCSE seperate award science instead. They made changes to the maths sets from the SATs results and completely ignored the results in english. Are they used as an entrance test for schools in the mainland UK or something?

They mean sod all to the student, but the school budget it worked out from the results. We were told they were life-changing exams, looking back I really hate my teachers for saying it...
Morgan141
They mean sod all to the student, but the school budget it worked out from the results. We were told they were life-changing exams, looking back I really hate my teachers for saying it...

Well doing well will benefit you too, as good SATs results will give the school a larger budget which will allow it to invest more money into computers, new science labs and other teaching resources.

Latest