The Student Room Group

Thinking about setting up a flight simulator

I am building an Airbus a320 home cockpit in my house. ATM I dont charge for people to use it but I'm thinking I could probably charge £100/hour. This is based on other flight sims such as the one in Stratford.

To do this I would need to move the sim out and into a proper workshop or office. There has been some interest but not sure if the charges could cover rent each month (£400-£700).

Also as I'm already employed I have no interest in setting up a business, filling out tax returns etc.
Original post by GodAtum
I am building an Airbus a320 home cockpit in my house. ATM I dont charge for people to use it but I'm thinking I could probably charge £100/hour. This is based on other flight sims such as the one in Stratford.

To do this I would need to move the sim out and into a proper workshop or office. There has been some interest but not sure if the charges could cover rent each month (£400-£700).

Also as I'm already employed I have no interest in setting up a business, filling out tax returns etc.

Wow that sounds very ambitious :smile:! How did you build it? Any pics?
Reply 2
heres a pic of the main cockpit. i plane to add 3 projectors with a wraparound screen and cockpit shell. this has been a hobby for a long time!

SKALARKI_recent4.jpg
Wow, very impressive.

It's great, but it's not to the same standard as commercial fixed base simulators:

Spoiler

£100 an hour is an acceptable rate for that type of sim, but again you'd need to make it much more realistic (we're talking proper seats and everything, like you're sitting in a real cockpit).

There is a company who set their sims up in a shopping centre and charge £X for say 10 minutes or something. I guess it's just a take off and landing at a nearby airport. Obviously they can't do 60 minutes as it would be too expensive for the customer, however 10 minutes would work out at a reasonable £17 a go.

It would all depend on if you want to give the 'real flight experience' or just an experience to impress the footfall at a popular shopping centre.
Reply 4
Original post by Runninground
Wow, very impressive.

There is a company who set their sims up in a shopping centre and charge £X for say 10 minutes or something. I guess it's just a take off and landing at a nearby airport. Obviously they can't do 60 minutes as it would be too expensive for the customer, however 10 minutes would work out at a reasonable £17 a go.

It would all depend on if you want to give the 'real flight experience' or just an experience to impress the footfall at a popular shopping centre.

Thanks! Yes the shopping centre company charges 15 mins for £55.
Original post by GodAtum
Thanks! Yes the shopping centre company charges 15 mins for £55.

Just out of interest how much did it cost you to build so far?
Reply 6
Around £6k over 10 years. This is a very long-term project.
Original post by GodAtum
Around £6k over 10 years. This is a very long-term project.

Wow. Must be pretty cool- do you fly it much or just build it? :biggrin:
Reply 8
yeah its awesome! I fly it every weekend :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by GodAtum
heres a pic of the main cockpit. i plane to add 3 projectors with a wraparound screen and cockpit shell. this has been a hobby for a long time!

SKALARKI_recent4.jpg

That's amazing, keep up the work.
Very nice, but a 'real' 737 sim can be had, with an instructor, for £100 per hour

http://www.virtual-aerospace.com/product/5-hour-737-flight-simulator-course-plus-briefing/
Reply 11
Original post by ProStacker
Very nice, but a 'real' 737 sim can be had, with an instructor, for £100 per hour

http://www.virtual-aerospace.com/product/5-hour-737-flight-simulator-course-plus-briefing/

i think its actually £149/hour

http://www.virtual-aerospace.com/product/60-minute-flight-simulator-session/
(edited 10 years ago)

If you read my post again, you will see I said 'can be had' for £100 per hour. I'd say that 5 hours for £499 was close enough to £100 per hour.
Reply 13
Ah Ok sorry for my misunderstanding. i will change a discount the more hours you book.
If you want to be better than VA, then you could max out Microsoft Flight Sim so it's on the best possible settings with add ons, or pick a professional flight sim. When I went there it was amazing but the graphics were slightly disappointing (They were literally the same as you'd get on Flight Sim on your computer)
Reply 15
Original post by Runninground
If you want to be better than VA, then you could max out Microsoft Flight Sim so it's on the best possible settings with add ons, or pick a professional flight sim. When I went there it was amazing but the graphics were slightly disappointing (They were literally the same as you'd get on Flight Sim on your computer)

I've been doing that with my current Microsoft Flight Sim X software. Have over £1000 worth of add-on airports!
hi I don't have a problem building mine except for the price of the throttle and trim wheel and the overhead panel how much di your throttle and trim wheel cost and were may I get them? (also the overhead panel if possible)
tell me more

Latest

Trending

Trending