The Student Room Group

Year 12 student - planning to study in the US after year 13.

Hello to all! Basically I'm a 16-year old boy that really wants to study in the US after year 13, I feel it's a good option for myself and a chance to explore new land as well as making new friends. There's also the bonus of becoming more independent!:wink: I don't, however, know how to plan these next 1-2 years. The process must be a lengthy one, and I hope I've began to plan at around the right time! :biggrin: I have no idea what I want to study when making the trip across the pond, but I'm currently studying English Language, Sociology, Media and Modern History. Is there anyone who was in a similar position to myself and can offer some guidance? Anything will be extremely helpful! I also have a few queries over the costs, like if they can help lower them or are there loans available in the US? The costs are large for university in the UK, so hopefully it'll be worth paying a bit more but having a better experience, along with improving my employability. Thank you in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 1
bump.
Reply 2
I'm looking at exactly the same thing! I'm in year 12 and I want to study in the US after A levels. My dad brought me this brilliant book called 'Uni in the USA' which is a bit expensive but it's full of loads of information that's really useful (you could try and borrow it from your local library). It gives loads of information about just general study in America and then it does at least a page on loads of the unis over there.

Also, there are a few colleges that offer international aid (unfortunately they're all the good ones, so you have to work really hard) but it's definitely worth a try! Some are need based aid, but some are scholarships for sports etc.

You've certainly begun to plan at the right time though, you've got ages now to prepare for your SATs :smile: hope I've helped!
Original post by WalkyTalky
Are there loans available in the US? The costs are large for university in the UK, so hopefully it'll be worth paying a bit more but having a better experience, along with improving my employability. Thank you in advance! :biggrin:

I agree that tuition fees can be quite costly in the U.S.!
I attend the University of Texas at Austin. I am German, but have permanent residency, so fortunately I pay in-state tuition. International students, however, do not receive financial aid from the U.S. government. Most of my intl friends apply for scholarships. In my experience, applying to private universities may be easier for intl students b/c they are more likely to receive partial to full tuition scholarships from the university itself, should the university accept you. Cost of living can also be inexpensive in certain areas and regions. For example, the cost of living is low in Texas compared to the East coast.

American universities are wide in range. Americans base university rankings on the US News & World Report, so do a bit of research there if ranking and reputation is important to you. For you and every other intl student who has to pay costly tuition fees, I would advise you to pick among the top tier (top 100) schools to get a bigger 'bang for your buck', as they say it here.

I also wanted to add that for requirements, SATs are a must. You will be tested in Maths and Verbal reasoning, as well as writing. Admissions will also look at personal statements and recommendation letters. Unlike in the UK, U.S. schools like well-rounded students and put more emphasis on extra-curricular activities.

Hope this helps!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending