The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

English interview at QMUL - 11th December

Anyone else got an interview at QMUL for English on the 11th of December? If so, any ideas on what they may ask,what to expect, etc?

also, those of you who do have an interview then - is QMUL your first choice? Hoping to put QMUL as an insurance choice, myself :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Is there really no one on here with an interview at QM for English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
when did you send off your ucas?
Reply 3
Studying English with Film Studies instead of just straight English, but just got an email inviting me to an interview on 15th January. Little surprised as I wasn't expecting to have an interview for QM as there wasn't any mention of it on UCAS like there was with some of my other choices before I sent it off. Not too fussed about it though as I have another interview about a week after so I can prepare for them together. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's standard practice and they interview everyone who they're considering to give an offer, or if they're just interviewing me because I'm borderline? Not too sure what the interview will involve but the bit about possibly being asked to comment on an unseen text sounds a bit scary :eek::tongue:
Original post by FranBishop
when did you send off your ucas?

I sent mine off on November 7th. Got a confirmation email on the 15th and then an email inviting me to an interview on the 21st. (I think)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiallD
Studying English with Film Studies instead of just straight English, but just got an email inviting me to an interview on 15th January. Little surprised as I wasn't expecting to have an interview for QM as there wasn't any mention of it on UCAS like there was with some of my other choices before I sent it off. Not too fussed about it though as I have another interview about a week after so I can prepare for them together. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's standard practice and they interview everyone who they're considering to give an offer, or if they're just interviewing me because I'm borderline? Not too sure what the interview will involve but the bit about possibly being asked to comment on an unseen text sounds a bit scary :eek::tongue:

I applied knowing I was going to be interviewed, so I'm not really surprised. I'm surprised it didn't say so on UCAS though. I applied to King's too and it said "you may be interviewed" for them even though they rarely do interviews for English, so I'm surprised QM didn't say so even though they seem to interview most (if not all) candidates. Where is your other interview at? QM is the only university which are interviewing so I'm pretty nervous. Never really had an interview before, not even for a job or anything. How are you preparing for both your interviews?

Edit: Oh wait, you said yours is on 15th Jan! Silly me, I didnt read properly. That's quite far away then, lucky. Mine is in a few days! Eeeeek

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
I applied knowing I was going to be interviewed, so I'm not really surprised. I'm surprised it didn't say so on UCAS though. I applied to King's too and it said "you may be interviewed" for them even though they rarely do interviews for English, so I'm surprised QM didn't say so even though they seem to interview most (if not all) candidates. Where is your other interview at? QM is the only university which are interviewing so I'm pretty nervous. Never really had an interview before, not even for a job or anything. How are you preparing for both your interviews?

Edit: Oh wait, you said yours is on 15th Jan! Silly me, I didnt read properly. That's quite far away then, lucky. Mine is in a few days! Eeeeek

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same, on UCAS it only said I may be interviewed for King's and Warwick out of where I applied for, my other interview is for Warwick and I haven't got a reply from King's yet but apparently they only interview if you're really borderline. I don't actually mind having an interview though tbh, there was a lot I wasn't able to books I mentioned but I'm not sure if I have time and not really sure if there's much point! I found this as well: http://www.sed.qmul.ac.uk/english/undergraduate/apply/interview/index.html which makes it look like it will be quite informal so shouldn't be too scary, best of luck! I have to prepare an essay to discuss for my Warwick interview but nothing like that for QM.
Original post by NiallD
Yeah same, on UCAS it only said I may be interviewed for King's and Warwick out of where I applied for, my other interview is for Warwick and I haven't got a reply from King's yet but apparently they only interview if you're really borderline. I don't actually mind having an interview though tbh, there was a lot I wasn't able to books I mentioned but I'm not sure if I have time and not really sure if there's much point! I found this as well: http://www.sed.qmul.ac.uk/english/undergraduate/apply/interview/index.html which makes it look like it will be quite informal so shouldn't be too scary, best of luck! I have to prepare an essay to discuss for my Warwick interview but nothing like that for QM.

Yeah, from what I've heard King's don't interview until you are really borderline - and even then I know people with predicted grades of AAB who have gotten offers without interview (last year) so not really worried about them. From what I'm hearing about QM it sounds like it's going to be pretty informal, so I hope it'll go alright. I hope I don't get an unseen text though, apparently whether or not you get one is down to the discretion of the interviewer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just afraid they'll ask something I can't answer! Have you heard anything from King's???? I didn't apply there because I thought it would be a sure rejection but then you've mentioned people with AAB with offers and no interview?! How is that even possible??
Also, what questions do you reckon they'll ask????
Original post by katrina27149
I'm just afraid they'll ask something I can't answer! Have you heard anything from King's???? I didn't apply there because I thought it would be a sure rejection but then you've mentioned people with AAB with offers and no interview?! How is that even possible??
Also, what questions do you reckon they'll ask????

Honestly I don't know, but I've heard quite a few people say it's possible to get an offer with AAB predictions so don't lose hope! My predicted grades are A*AB so I'm hoping they'll see that as equivalent to AAA :/ And no I haven't heard back from them, I don't think they've started giving out offers properly yet. Still a waiting game

And I have no idea! I think it'll be relatively informal though. I really hope I don't get an unseen text, eeeek

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think they give out offers after the interview :smile: i got my interview tomorrow!! a bit nervous but hey. it would be dead helpful to know what kind of questions they ask and what they expect after they give you a tetx to read and discuss!! any ideas?
also, any replies from UCL??
Reply 12
Good luck to all of you who have interviews tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Elizabeth96
i think they give out offers after the interview :smile: i got my interview tomorrow!! a bit nervous but hey. it would be dead helpful to know what kind of questions they ask and what they expect after they give you a tetx to read and discuss!! any ideas?

I have no idea :s different people have said different things, so I think it just depends on who you get. It also depends on the interviewer whether or not you get an unseen poem - some people have gotten them and some haven't :s And it also depends on the interviewer if he/she gives you the poem to annotate before your interview or during. Some people were given it while they were waiting, but my friend (who's at QM doing English this year) was given it during the interview and was told to read it and discuss there and then. Sheesh

What kind of questions do you think they'll ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys
how long dyou think it'll take for the uni to tell you if you've got an offer or not after wednesday's interview?
Reply 15
Applied for English Lit and Linguistics. Got an interview on the 29th January. Very scared. :frown:
Original post by Elizabeth96
hey guys
how long dyou think it'll take for the uni to tell you if you've got an offer or not after wednesday's interview?

My interviewer said within 2 weeks, so yeah. How did your interview go, do you think? I thought mine went pretty well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
As I have my interview on Jan 15th, just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to tell me what happened in their interview and what to expect? Just like what kind of things they asked you etc so I know what kind of things to expect, and also in general what were people wearing? I'd usually expect an interview to be formal dress but apparently this interview is quite informal so I'm not really sure what I should wear, would like to know in particular what males were wearing in general :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by NiallD
As I have my interview on Jan 15th, just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to tell me what happened in their interview and what to expect? Just like what kind of things they asked you etc so I know what kind of things to expect, and also in general what were people wearing? I'd usually expect an interview to be formal dress but apparently this interview is quite informal so I'm not really sure what I should wear, would like to know in particular what males were wearing in general :tongue:

Yeah, I would appreciate this information too!
Reply 19
Original post by NiallD

Can anyone at all answer this? I just want to know what the general dress code was more than anything :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending