University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

PGCE Primary at Leicester University 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sbubbles
Yeah I did move away for uni :smile: so it'll be strange for me as well living at home full-time again! Ah right, what did you study at Southampton? Are you working at the moment up until you start the PGCE? :smile:

It'll definitely take some getting used too again! I studied Magazine Journalism…so a really random move from that to teaching! Yeh I work in a primary school as a teaching assistant at the minute, the school has LOTS of challenging children so I feel things can only get better after working here lol have you had much experience in schools? I've just realised I don't even know your name yet? :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by espeight11
It'll definitely take some getting used too again! I studied Magazine Journalism…so a really random move from that to teaching! Yeh I work in a primary school as a teaching assistant at the minute, the school has LOTS of challenging children so I feel things can only get better after working here lol have you had much experience in schools? I've just realised I don't even know your name yet? :smile:

That is quite a random move :tongue: What made you want to go into teaching? Ah right, a lot of people become teaching assistants before a PGCE don't they? Lots of people I spoke to at the interviews had already graduated and were working in schools full time and that made me worry I wouldn't get a place on the course. I've had placements in 3 different schools and I've got another one lined up, and my name is Sophie haha what's yours? :smile:
Reply 22
That is quite a random move :tongue: What made you want to go into teaching? Ah right, a lot of people become teaching assistants before a PGCE don't they? Lots of people I spoke to at the interviews had already graduated and were working in schools full time and that made me worry I wouldn't get a place on the course. I've had placements in 3 different schools and I've got another one lined up, and my name is Sophie haha what's yours? :smile:

Yeh well it was one of few courses that focused more on writing for magazines rather than newspapers which I preferred the idea of, plus we got to go to paris and new york :tongue: ermm I'm not really sure to be honest, I've always wanted to do it (probably because I really enjoyed school, got on with my teachers etc) but a couple of years before I applied for uni I changed my mind. As soon as I'd finished my degree I realised it was still teaching I wanted to do. How about you? I bought a couple of books earlier for helping you through your NQT year and how to be an outstanding teacher…is it too keen to buy this stuff before I've even started the course? ha. Ahh you see it's really good having experience across numerous schools, so that would have given you an advantage :smile: oo ok I'm Emma :smile:
You need to withdraw from other choices before you're able to accept an offer :smile:

Thanks, have now accepted the conditional offer for the University of Leicester :smile:

Just got the skills tests to do now!
Reply 24
Original post by chloesc1992
Thanks, have now accepted the conditional offer for the University of Leicester :smile:

Congratulations! How long did you have to wait before they told you? I went for my interview on the 8th Jan and I just want them to put me out of my misery :frown:
Reply 25
Just officially accepted my place at Leicester for Upper Primary eekk :smile: very excited!
Reply 26
Yeh well it was one of few courses that focused more on writing for magazines rather than newspapers which I preferred the idea of, plus we got to go to paris and new york :tongue: ermm I'm not really sure to be honest, I've always wanted to do it (probably because I really enjoyed school, got on with my teachers etc) but a couple of years before I applied for uni I changed my mind. As soon as I'd finished my degree I realised it was still teaching I wanted to do. How about you? I bought a couple of books earlier for helping you through your NQT year and how to be an outstanding teacher…is it too keen to buy this stuff before I've even started the course? ha. Ahh you see it's really good having experience across numerous schools, so that would have given you an advantage :smile: oo ok I'm Emma :smile:

Ah right, going to Paris and New York is always a bonus :tongue: same, well I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I applied to do my English degree, but I didn't want to do a Primary Education degree cos I wanted to keep my options open just encase I changed my mind! You're very prepared! I'll probably get something like that over the summer, but reading posts on TSR is already making me panic!
Also, congrats on accepting your offer! :biggrin: Do you have any idea how to set up a FB group?
Reply 27

Congrats :smile: - same as me! They have given me until 6th Feb to do them, mine are booked for the 30th and I really hope I pass first time!
Reply 28
Ah right, going to Paris and New York is always a bonus :tongue: same, well I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I applied to do my English degree, but I didn't want to do a Primary Education degree cos I wanted to keep my options open just encase I changed my mind! You're very prepared! I'll probably get something like that over the summer, but reading posts on TSR is already making me panic!
Also, congrats on accepting your offer! :biggrin: Do you have any idea how to set up a FB group?

Yeh I was kinda won over by it :tongue: mm it's always good to keep options open for as long as you can! Ahh yeh I know, I was reading a thread on here yesterday about how tired and stressed pgce students are…I was like oh god lol and thank you! :smile: it all seems very real now! And yes I do however you have to add somebody to the group before it can be made…I could add you and start one? :smile: I'd need your full name/facebook name :smile:
Reply 29
Yeh I was kinda won over by it :tongue: mm it's always good to keep options open for as long as you can! Ahh yeh I know, I was reading a thread on here yesterday about how tired and stressed pgce students are…I was like oh god lol and thank you! :smile: it all seems very real now! And yes I do however you have to add somebody to the group before it can be made…I could add you and start one? :smile: I'd need your full name/facebook name :smile:

Yeah I've read that thread, it stresses me out just reading it! :tongue: Okey dokey, I'll PM you my FB details :smile:
Reply 30
Hey, I've set up a Facebook group for anyone starting the PGCE at Leicester in September…feel free to join :smile: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413151862259015/
Original post by tomh1993
Congratulations! How long did you have to wait before they told you? I went for my interview on the 8th Jan and I just want them to put me out of my misery :frown:

I found out two days after the interview - but my interview was just before the Christmas period so they had to do that or else they would have left it three weeks.

How did you think the day went?
Reply 32
I found out two days after the interview - but my interview was just before the Christmas period so they had to do that or else they would have left it three weeks.

How did you think the day went?

Ah yeah, I know somebody who went on that day and got accepted within a couple of days too.

I think the day went quite well, it's hard to tell really. I'm happy with how the tests, interview and group discussion went. Not so sure on the role play bit, I think that was the hardest part of the day. It's just so agonising sitting waiting for the UCAS email. Especially since I get about 20 junk emails a day and every time the notification comes on my phone I think it might be from UCAS!
Original post by tomh1993
Ah yeah, I know somebody who went on that day and got accepted within a couple of days too.

I think the day went quite well, it's hard to tell really. I'm happy with how the tests, interview and group discussion went. Not so sure on the role play bit, I think that was the hardest part of the day. It's just so agonising sitting waiting for the UCAS email. Especially since I get about 20 junk emails a day and every time the notification comes on my phone I think it might be from UCAS!

Ha! Yes I know that feeling :smile: shouldn't be too long now - I think they said ten or seven working days...
Reply 34
Hi guys,

Recently found out I have a conditional offer at Leicester for Primary PGCE! So excited, have now firmed it!

Is anyone else going or had an interview? (My interview was on 6th December) I'm thinking of making a FB group if anyone is interested :smile:
Hi Sophie!
I think I recognise you from the interview on 6th Dec... we sat next to each other at the beginning! Glad to hear you got a space on the course... so did I :smile:. Did you end up going to any other interviews?
Vikki
Reply 35
Heyy just came across this! I have my interview pretty soon :smile: I'm nervous because its my first one, I've had the letter come in the post, I was just wondering what the maths and english tests consist of?
Reply 36
Original post by Vikki170
Hi Sophie!
I think I recognise you from the interview on 6th Dec... we sat next to each other at the beginning! Glad to hear you got a space on the course... so did I :smile:. Did you end up going to any other interviews?
Vikki

Ahh hi Vikki! Wooo well done! Have you accepted your offer at Leicester? Yeah I had an interview at Cambridge but was unsuccessful, but didn't really surprise me. I declined my interview at UEA because I'd prefer to go to Leicester anyway! Did you go to your other interviews?
Reply 37
Original post by mjkp
Heyy just came across this! I have my interview pretty soon :smile: I'm nervous because its my first one, I've had the letter come in the post, I was just wondering what the maths and english tests consist of?

The Maths and English tests are only 15 mins each. I didn't revise for them, they're fairly simple. It's basically KS2 maths and you can't prepare for the English one really!
Reply 38
Yeah I accepted it before Christmas... so all official now! Ahhh okay, I went to Derby but didn't bother with Nottingham. Got in to Derby but like you said I'd prefer to go to Leicester too! Really couldn't tell how the Leicester interview went as well so was really pleased to get in! Seems like ages until we start but I have a feeling its going to come round really quick. How's your skills revision going?! I bet you feel as though you have a lot of work to juggle at the minute.
Reply 39
Original post by Vikki170
Yeah I accepted it before Christmas... so all official now! Ahhh okay, I went to Derby but didn't bother with Nottingham. Got in to Derby but like you said I'd prefer to go to Leicester too! Really couldn't tell how the Leicester interview went as well so was really pleased to get in! Seems like ages until we start but I have a feeling its going to come round really quick. How's your skills revision going?! I bet you feel as though you have a lot of work to juggle at the minute.

Ah that's good :smile: same - I didn't think my one on one interview went that well because the woman kept asking me about my weaknesses, like once I said a weakness she kept going on and on about it so I wasn't sure how it went! I know, in a way I hope it does come around quickly because I'm fed up with my degree. Ummm well I haven't really done much revision for my skills tests :s-smilie: because I have two more essays to do :frown: how long did it take you to prepare for your them?
Btw, there's a Leicester PGCE Facebook group if you want to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413151862259015/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending