The Student Room Group

Muslims help rebuild a church

In September, Zamboanga City in the Philippines was ravaged by an armed conflict between the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and the local government. The battle created tension between local Christians and Muslims, but when the fighting ended, members of both religious groups joined forces to pick up the pieces, the Inquirer Mindanao reports.

Among the damaged buildings was the Christ the King chapel, a Catholic church. Local Christians -- who make up the majority of Zamboanga's population, according to a news release from the Asia Foundation -- were shocked when their Muslim neighbors came to help them rebuild the church's walls.

“We thought they were just looking for damaged mosques to rebuild,” Jimmy Villaflores, the village head of Zamboanga's Santa Catalina district, told the Inquirer. "We have not heard of any Muslim helping build a chapel before."

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4454923?utm_hp_ref=tw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's good stuff.
Reply 3
This has really changed my mind about Islam
Nice :smile:
Why would they do that? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
That's good to hear.
Reply 7
Original post by Secretnerd123

Because they're not dicks?
maybe you can tell your grandchildren about this one day
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I hope some people here will at least acknowledge that Muslims are strongly advised to help anyone in trouble, no matter what their religion, race, creed, background etc is.
Original post by Hellcat12
I hope some people here will at least acknowledge that Muslims are strongly advised to help anyone in trouble, no matter what their religion, race, creed, background etc is.

how come you're allowed to generalise when it's something positive? :tongue:
Reply 11

Original post by Secretnerd123

So which does the Qur'an say?
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
how come you're allowed to generalise when it's something positive? :tongue:

i didn't generalise, perhaps you misread my post. :biggrin:
Cool story bro.
i didn't generalise, perhaps you misread my post. :biggrin:
Well, you did. You said: "Muslims are strongly advised to help anyone in trouble, no matter what their religion, race, creed, background etc is"

All Muslims? Some Muslims? The Muslims of this town specifically? Who Muslims? Without outlining this, we're left with no choice but to conclude that you're generalizing (i.e. all Muslims - and we all know that's not the case).
Reply 15
Original post by pmc:producer
Well, you did. You said: "Muslims are strongly advised to help anyone in trouble, no matter what their religion, race, creed, background etc is"

All Muslims? Some Muslims? The Muslims of this town specifically? Who Muslims? Without outlining this, we're left with no choice but to conclude that you're generalizing (i.e. all Muslims - and we all know that's not the case).

I am sorry but you misunderstand me :smile:
I am talking about Islamic teachings, bordering to morals. ALL muslims are supposed to observe such acts when their neighbours, even if they are completely different, are in trouble. Holy Prophet (pbuh) said, 'The one who sleeps with a full stomach, yet his neighbour sleeps starved, is not among us.' This Hadith directs us to be charitable, helpful, friendly with anyone. It's another case that Muslims don't do as such (even people of other religions), that isn't the part of Islamic teachings itself but the fault of the community. In Islam, teachings are meant to be followed by every muslim, noone is exempted from those directing us all.
I will quote more verses for clarification, but a bit busy at the moment.
I am sorry but you misunderstand me :smile:
I am talking about Islamic teachings, bordering to morals. ALL muslims are supposed to observe such acts when their neighbours, even if they are completely different, are in trouble. Holy Prophet (pbuh) said, 'The one who sleeps with a full stomach, yet his neighbour sleeps starved, is not among us.' This Hadith directs us to be charitable, helpful, friendly with anyone. It's another case that Muslims don't do as such (even people of other religions), that isn't the part of Islamic teachings itself but the fault of the community. In Islam, teachings are meant to be followed by every muslim, noone is exempted from those directing us all.
I will quote more verses for clarification, but a bit busy at the moment.

Nope, I didn't misunderstand you. You said 'Muslims are strongly advised to...' Maybe the problem lies in your own wording. Maybe, 'Islam teaches all Muslims...' would have been a better fit.

I'm sure you see the confusion - some Muslims are advised to kill soldiers in broad daylight for nothing based on another Muslim's extremist views... Islam teaches Muslims to be nice people... The difference is vast.

EDIT: With all due respect, please don't 'quote more verses for clarification' - I didn't even read your post beyond 'Islamic teachings' as it was irrelevant. I'm aware of the point you were making, it doesn't need further clarification. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
cracking stuff, this stuff happens a lot in the arab world and even in the balkans
Reply 18
Original post by pmc:producer
Nope, I didn't misunderstand you. You said 'Muslims are strongly advised to...' Maybe the problem lies in your own wording. Maybe, 'Islam teaches all Muslims...' would have been a better fit.

I'm sure you see the confusion - some Muslims are advised to kill soldiers in broad daylight for nothing based on another Muslim's extremist views... Islam teaches Muslims to be nice people... The difference is vast.

EDIT: With all due respect, please don't 'quote more verses for clarification' - I didn't even read your post beyond 'Islamic teachings' as it was irrelevant. I'm aware of the point you were making, it doesn't need further clarification. :tongue:

A better fit for whom? People without an ounce of knowledge about Islam and believers of the trash they read, hear and see everyday? I wasn't posting that to teach babies 1+1=2. :smile:

There is a difference between what extremists do and what the Quran teaches us. Just like atheism doesn't ask people to insult other religions. If you talk about terrorism, it's purely against Islam, the terrorists might be deluded that they serve Allah by blasting themselves and the public into smithereens but we aren't. If you talk about war, I hope that even you have the basic idea that to defend your country, you would fight the enemy. Don't judge us all by the idiotic extremism of a few groups. Who is generalising now?

That's awfully great of you, with all due respect, I suggest if you have any query about us, but prefer to ignore the crucial points of our posts, better not quote us and waste our time in answering us. It isn't irrelevant if you have a little less arrogance.
Peace.
A better fit for whom? People without an ounce of knowledge about Islam and believers of the trash they read, hear and see everyday? I wasn't posting that to teach babies 1+1=2. :smile:

There is a difference between what extremists do and what the Quran teaches us. Just like atheism doesn't ask people to insult other religions. If you talk about terrorism, it's purely against Islam, the terrorists might be deluded that they serve Allah by blasting themselves and the public into smithereens but we aren't. If you talk about war, I hope that even you have the basic idea that to defend your country, you would fight the enemy. Don't judge us all by the idiotic extremism of a few groups. Who is generalising now?

That's awfully great of you, with all due respect, I suggest if you have any query about us, but prefer to ignore the crucial points of our posts, better not quote us and waste our time in answering us. It isn't irrelevant if you have a little less arrogance.
Peace.

Excuse me? There is a massive difference between being taught something, and being advised to do something - if you can't see this, you're stupider than your first paragraph here suggests. I'm not asking you to speak in laymen's terms, I'm asking you to use proper words. You generalized. You told us all Muslims were advised to be nice, it's as black and white as that. In actual fact, they aren't. They might be 'taught to' by the Koran, that's about it. And even at that, it's debatable since the words 'Koran' and 'it's down to interpretation' go hand in hand.

As for this comment: "People without an ounce of knowledge about Islam and believers of the trash they read, hear and see everyday?"

Two things, firstly - you should be explaining things for people based on the assumption that they don't have an 'ounce of knowledge about Islam' - particularly if you're trying to educate us by highlighting what Muslims are taught (not advised). Secondly, what people have read, heard and have seen today about Islam is the guilty verdict of two extremist Muslims who butchered an innocent man because he 'was wearing a help for hero's t-shirt and carrying a camouflage bag'. To some, that isn't deemed 'trash'.

Just accept you ****ed up and move on.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that contrary to your last paragraph, I didn't have any queries regarding Muslims.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending