The Student Room Group

The bar I work in doesn't recycle nobody cares. It's really getting me down. Help!

I work in a huge club/bar. You can imagine how many glass bottles a bar goes through in a night - A LOT. Not only glass but also plastic bottles and cardboard, plus all the paper from the office. This is a huge amount of recyclable stuff we're talking here. As well as the obvious environmental impact, as of today, all businesses and organisations MUST recycle plastic, card, glass etc. or face a fine. This is in Scotland anyway, not sure if England has similar new recycling laws.

They just throw everything in the bin. Everything. Bags and bags and bags full of glass. It gets me so angry and frustrated because NOBODY CARES. I have to do something. Who should I go to? The manager? What if he doesn't care either? Can I report my work to the council or something? I don't even mind losing my job over it because I feel really strongly about it. Anyone got any ideas on how to approach this?

Scroll to see replies

They obviously aren't interested in recycling for its own sake but they might be interested if you point out the new rules and the potential they'll end up being fined now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I thought there would have been laws on this too. Approach your manager - is he a presence in the bar? Does he know what gets chucked in the bin?

After living in Germany, this kinda thing pees me off too :banghead:
Depending where you live it may actually costs money for bars to recycle if the local council doesn't have some sort of scheme. I work in my uni bar and we have to recycle or we get fined by the uni estates people, but our bar doesn't need to pay for the recycling the university estates pays for that. (this is in england btw)

I used to work in a bar in glasgow and it did recycle glass because glasgow city council provided them with glass collecting which is payed for through council tax.
Original post by LinzyLoo
I work in a huge club/bar. You can imagine how many glass bottles a bar goes through in a night - A LOT. Not only glass but also plastic bottles and cardboard, plus all the paper from the office. This is a huge amount of recyclable stuff we're talking here. As well as the obvious environmental impact, as of today, all businesses and organisations MUST recycle plastic, card, glass etc. or face a fine. This is in Scotland anyway, not sure if England has similar new recycling laws.

They just throw everything in the bin. Everything. Bags and bags and bags full of glass. It gets me so angry and frustrated because NOBODY CARES. I have to do something. Who should I go to? The manager? What if he doesn't care either? Can I report my work to the council or something? I don't even mind losing my job over it because I feel really strongly about it. Anyone got any ideas on how to approach this?

No point in recycling.
Reply 5
Original post by rachel.h
I thought there would have been laws on this too. Approach your manager - is he a presence in the bar? Does he know what gets chucked in the bin?

After living in Germany, this kinda thing pees me off too :banghead:

Yeah, he is fully aware of what gets chucked in the bin. I'm trying to find out who is held responsible for the recycling; if it's the business owner (our club is part of a larger group) or the actual manager of the venue. Can't seem to find this information anywhere.. =/ Is Germany good at recycling?

Original post by BAD AT MATHS
Depending where you live it may actually costs money for bars to recycle if the local council doesn't have some sort of scheme. I work in my uni bar and we have to recycle or we get fined by the uni estates people, but our bar doesn't need to pay for the recycling the university estates pays for that. (this is in england btw)

I used to work in a bar in glasgow and it did recycle glass because glasgow city council provided them with glass collecting which is payed for through council tax.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. This bar is actually in Glasgow so I'm hoping the council will provide them with bins. Not sure if they already have, and they just don't use them, or they've never asked for some.

Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
No point in recycling.

Why is that?
Reply 6
It's true. Glass is unusual as I would have thought the brewery / drinks supplier would collect - but in general small businesses don't recycle because it costs them a lot. They get charged for it, and everyone thinks these things are a good idea until someone has to pay for it.
Reply 7
Yeah, he is fully aware of what gets chucked in the bin. I'm trying to find out who is held responsible for the recycling; if it's the business owner (our club is part of a larger group) or the actual manager of the venue. Can't seem to find this information anywhere.. =/ Is Germany good at recycling?

Germany is amazingly environmentally friendly. I lived with a family for a year and barely anything went in the rubbish bin in their house. It's just a part of daily life in Germany, whereas here it's seen as a chore.

In fact, as far as glass goes - my favourite part about going to the supermarket was returning glass bottles and receiving a voucher for money off my shopping.
(edited 10 years ago)

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. This bar is actually in Glasgow so I'm hoping the council will provide them with bins. Not sure if they already have, and they just don't use them, or they've never asked for some.

Why is that?

Why should i recycle. I pay council tax to deal with my waste. Its the councils problem, not mine.
Reply 9
Why should i recycle. I pay council tax to deal with my waste. Its the councils problem, not mine.

That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. We're killing our planet and it's not like we have another one to move to when we screw this one up. That's everyone's problem. We have limited space - we can't just spend billions making items, using them once and then burying them in the ground. It's not sustainable, it doesn't make economical sense, and we don't have the natural resources to keep making new plastic bottles etc. forever. If you live on this planet then you have to take responsibility for your actions and see the bigger picture. Everybody has to work together to make schemes like kerbside recycling work. Just like everybody has to do their bit to not waste energy. How selfish are you?? You're basically just saying, "it doesn't affect me personally so I don't care".
That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. We're killing our planet and it's not like we have another one to move to when we screw this one up. That's everyone's problem. We have limited space - we can't just spend billions making items, using them once and then burying them in the ground. It's not sustainable, it doesn't make economical sense, and we don't have the natural resources to keep making new plastic bottles etc. forever. If you live on this planet then you have to take responsibility for your actions and see the bigger picture. Everybody has to work together to make schemes like kerbside recycling work. Just like everybody has to do their bit to not waste energy. How selfish are you?? You're basically just saying, "it doesn't affect me personally so I don't care".

Te pollution from the uk compared to the rest of world is nothing, there is no point recycling, the council can find my glass bottles if they care that much.
Reply 11
Te pollution from the uk compared to the rest of world is nothing, there is no point recycling, the council can find my glass bottles if they care that much.

Because the UK is a small country compared to America which has massive highways and very long roads.
Most EU countries are very eco-friendly and recycle much more than us.
You just sound very ignorant and stuck up.
Original post by ETRC
Because the UK is a small country compared to America which has massive highways and very long roads.
Most EU countries are very eco-friendly and recycle much more than us.
You just sound very ignorant and stuck up.

Exactly, so we can do whatever we want. You can rummage though your trash like an animal, i shall continue it throw evrrything into the bin.
Exactly, so we can do whatever we want. You can rummage though your trash like an animal, i shall continue it throw evrrything into the bin.

The idea is to sort your trash beforehand, rather than throw it all into a pile like an animal.

If you lack discipline with the small things, you cannot exercise discipline with important things
Original post by Architecture-er
The idea is to sort your trash beforehand, rather than throw it all into a pile like an animal.

If you lack discipline with the small things, you cannot exercise discipline with important things

Councils job, not mine.
Councils job, not mine.

That... doesn't have any relation to anything I posted, but ok

Recycling costs money. Would you be happy for your employer to take the fees out of your wages (or terminate your employment entirely?)

Thought not. These things need paying for. Ecohippies are resented because they increase costs for everybody else.

im gonna go full hippie here
but yes! preach it sister <3
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Recycling costs money. Would you be happy for your employer to take the fees out of your wages (or terminate your employment entirely?)

Thought not. These things need paying for. Ecohippies are resented because they increase costs for everybody else.

She already said in the OP: 'I don't even mind losing my job over it because I feel really strongly about it.'.
Reply 19
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending