The Student Room Group

AS WJEC Computing CG1 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by WebGeek96
Just thought I'd chuck you some notes I've been given with regards to network topologies. This should get you all required marks as long as you include a definition alongside the advantages/disadvantages set out below.

Bus
Advantages
Very cheap, as it requires a
minimal amount of cabling
Easy to add or remove
computers

Disadvantages

Failure in the main cable will
cause failure of the network
The network can be
significantly slowed by high
network traffic

Star
Advantages

If one cable fails, only the
device attached to it is
isolated from the network
Faults are easy to find
It is easy to add extra
devices
The system is secure, as data
is only sent to devices that
need that data
Disadvantages

Lots of cable, which means
more expensive to install
than other topologies

Ring
Advantages

No collisions, as there is
typically only one batch of
data allowed on the network
at any one time
Very high rates of
transmission are possible

Disadvantages

Failure of a single cable can
bring down the entire
network
Failure of a single device can
bring down the entire
network
Security is not ensured, as
data passes through other
devices en route to its final
destination

Also, I do have a copy of the Jan '14 paper including MS for CG1 if you want it PM me. :smile:

Hi - could you shoot me a copy to my email? Can't find the PM button on here..!

[email protected]

Cheers!
Reply 61
Original post by CD223
Well good luck! You'll do well I'm sure! Focus on bio if that's your main priority :smile: I'd love to get an A* predicted in Maths - I still have M1 to go which I forgot to say - but I don't know if my core exams went well enough. I did AQA - how did you find maths?

I think ring networks are difficult to justify choosing as speeds are the only real advantage!

Yeah, I'm AQA too for maths.
I hated Core 1 - I was in the black drama room, which in that weather turned into and oven, and I was all flustered after a bunch of stupid stuff (running into my ex as my teacher asked both her and I to go and see her in the morning, realizing I didn't have my calculator before realizing it was Core 1 and non-calc.. , and realizing halfway through the exam my phone was in my bag :wink: ). My mates all liked Core 1. However, I quite liked Core 2 (there were only a few marks I couldn't do), but all my friends hated it?

Kinda relying on MS1B to carry my maths grade lol. I love stats.
Reply 62
Original post by Jamoooo
I hated Core 1 - I was in the black drama room, which in that weather turned into and oven, and I was all flustered after a bunch of stupid stuff (running into my ex as my teacher asked both her and I to go and see her in the morning, realizing I didn't have my calculator before realizing it was Core 1 and non-calc.. , and realizing halfway through the exam my phone was in my bag :wink: ). My mates all liked Core 1. However, I quite liked Core 2 (there were only a few marks I couldn't do), but all my friends hated it?

Haha, oops! Sounds a hectic C1 exam but if C2 wasn't bad for you and a lot of people struggled I'd take that as making up for whatever you felt you lost in C1! :smile:

I hated the logs question on C2, all my friends got different answers haha!

Do you know when we can discuss answers on here after the computing exam? (This is my only WJEC exam so I've no idea on their discussion policy afterwards).
Reply 63
Original post by Jamoooo

Mechanics is easy maths-wise but you can get 7 mark questions that if you misunderstand, you're screwed haha.
Thread invasion. :tongue:

I don't do A-Levels yet but I'm doing WJEC Computing at sixth form in September. How is WJEC as an exam board for Computing? Is it really difficult, is the subject really demanding?

Sorry, just wondering. :colondollar: Good luck to you AL students.
Reply 65
Just to check - with questions where the mark scheme is asking us to give answers that "fully and accurately describe", do they mean all the points they give, or just 1 per mark?
Original post by Jamoooo
In terms of the syllabus for the exam, providing you're relatively good at accurate recall, you'll have no issue. The coursework could be a serious issue depending on your school, and I'd advise making sure you get it done well before Easter so you can revise for your other subjects. Mine ended up being stupidly long and sucking up all my time.

Also try and talk to students at your college and see if the teachers are any good. I've certainly been back to my old school and warned the current IT prefect lot to stay away from computing at my college.

Okay, thanks. :smile: I'll ask and see what people think of the teachers there. Is the knowledge you need to learn/recall extremely hard or is it quite easy to pick up on. Would it be difficult to cope with alongside subjects like Maths AL?
Reply 67
I think my teacher id quite good. Mainly because he let me on the course without a C in English after previously being out-right refused by everybody else at the college (Bearing in mind I had previously had a spelling, reading and comprehension test at 14, the results of which were far in excess of the average person attending the college), other students though seem to think he's bad. I think they're just bad at the subject.
Reply 68
Original post by Jamoooo
Just to check - with questions where the mark scheme is asking us to give answers that "fully and accurately describe", do they mean all the points they give, or just 1 per mark?

I'm pretty certain the questions that they list a ton of answers for are just guidelines? You could pick say two or three of what's on the list, and one point that isn't (because it says "sensible answers may include" so it doesn't HAVE to be in the MS). As long as you extend your points you'll get better marks than just remembering bullet points that could chance year on year! :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by yellowcopter
Okay, thanks. :smile: I'll ask and see what people think of the teachers there. Is the knowledge you need to learn/recall extremely hard or is it quite easy to pick up on. Would it be difficult to cope with alongside subjects like Maths AL?

Its not hard to understand it's just very specific recall. My advice would be to start revising once you've covered a subject in class straight away. It sounds stupid, and it doesn't have to be serious revision, but make sure that you come out of each lesson understanding everything at least, so that by the next lesson you feel confident that you could teach someone else.

Don't be put off by a few peoples bad experiences! :smile:
Reply 70
This sort of time tomorrow eh guys? Can't wait for it to be over!
Reply 71
This might sound really stupid, but when is it correct to say "disc" and when is it correct to say "disk"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by CD223
This might sound really stupid, but when is it correct to say "disc" and when is it correct to say "disk"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Instinctively, I'd have said disk when talking about hard drives and disc when talking about DVDs etc.
Wikipedia says its a largely US vs UK thing, so I can't see WJEC penalizing either.
Reply 73
Original post by Jamoooo
Instinctively, I'd have said disk when talking about hard drives and disc when talking about DVDs etc.
Wikipedia says its a largely US vs UK thing, so I can't see WJEC penalizing either.

Yeah that makes sense, but I don't trust the mark schemes as they have spelling errors anyway! I hope they don't care... How's your prep going? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by CD223
Yeah that makes sense, but I don't trust the mark schemes as they have spelling errors anyway! I hope they don't care... How's your prep going? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Busy freaking about biology lol. Just scraped an A in the last paper (Jan '14) so panicking a little.
Reply 75
Original post by Jamoooo
Busy freaking about biology lol. Just scraped an A in the last paper (Jan '14) so panicking a little.

Given that grade boundaries change and an A is still the highest grade (so it's meant to be hard to get) I'd say that's commendable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Good luck tomorrow everyone, if you're remotely interested in IT, you know most of the course already!
You know when they ask for one benefit of something or one other possible problem, do you lose the mark if you write two?
Reply 78
Original post by Amberfernandes
You know when they ask for one benefit of something or one other possible problem, do you lose the mark if you write two?

No. As long as both are correct they can't penalise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Nivarka
Good luck tomorrow everyone, if you're remotely interested in IT, you know most of the course already!

Good point haha - what do you hope doesn't come up? For me it's bloody feasibility studies as it's so repetitive and boring and nothing to do with the inner workings of a PC!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending