The Student Room Group

Any Animators/Illustrators for University in 2015?

Is anyone else hoping to do animation or illustration at university in 2015? I'm just asking because at the moment my portfolio is really low and I have almost nothing to write on my personal statement, so I need to get some work experience aswell. Have any of you taken some steps in the university path to help you?
Reply 1
For the statement (for animation this is) talk about the directors / animators that inspire you (and don't just fawn over Disney, amazing though they are, try to know some more leftfield animators). Find out about what areas of animation you might be interested in and say why. Mentioning influences from other visual fields is also good. Think about where you want to go with an animation degree in future. Getting work experience in animation before university is rare (awesome if you can get it, but no one will expect it). Getting to visit an animation company to look around does happen, many companies will allow students in on visits when they have some downtime. What sot of animation course ar you looking for? As a minimum, get as much life drawing practice as possible, learn perosective drawing, make characte designs, front, side, back, three quarter to scale in colour, draw pose sheets, draw environments, props, work digitally and traditionally, if applying to a 3D animation course, get hold of the student copy of Maya and make something in it... that lot should keep you busy for a year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest