The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestCat
Its been mentioned a couple of times- last student/faculty meeting about academics they mentioned that it is high on their list of priorities- only ESAs though so hopefully I'll avoid it. Its a ridiculous idea!

Oh and you know the infamous neuro lecturer... well in the latest idiocy they emailed today saying if we don't fill in module feedback we will receive a formal write up for not fulfilling our professional duties. WTF?!

So PPE, IPE and Finals will be spared from that stupid idea?

Ah, I wrote an entire A4 page of feedback for Head and Neck after we got told the same. Nothing ever changes though!
Original post by chillisauce
So PPE, IPE and Finals will be spared from that stupid idea?

Ah, I wrote an entire A4 page of feedback for Head and Neck after we got told the same. Nothing ever changes though!

The MSK vertebral column lecture included the highlight of "The vertebral column, also known as the vertebral column" :facepalm: and thats about as much as I learned that lecture.

Going to try and self teach a bit of head and neck over the summer, just because two straight weeks of it is going to be hellish otherwise!

I think PPE onwards should be spared. TBH I think all of our year would refuse to do it on Ipads, no one thinks its a good idea! They're just trying to use the ipad as much as possible, but its not designed for writing exams etc. I suppose it could work for SBA but Ipads are too temperamental and who is to say it wouldn't just crash half way through?
(edited 8 years ago)
The MSK vertebral column included the highlight of "The vertebral column, also known as the vertebral column" :facepalm: and thats about as much as I learned that lecture.

Going to try and self teach a bit of head and neck over the summer, just because two straight weeks of it is going to be hellish otherwise!

I think PPE onwards should be spared. TBH I think all of our year would refuse to do it on Ipads, no one thinks its a good idea! They're just trying to use the ipad as much as possible, but its not designed for writing exams etc. I suppose it could work for SBA but Ipads are too temperamental and who is to say it wouldn't just crash half way through?

Yeah, I reckon you can self teach quite abit of it. If you need a run through of what to learn, I'll give you a list of what I did. I did pretty well in HnN without learning crazy amounts of detail.

I would refuse to do it also, particularly because I've used workbooks throughout as opposed to iPads. Imagine the stress of not being able to write an answer properly.
Yeah, I reckon you can self teach quite abit of it. If you need a run through of what to learn, I'll give you a list of what I did. I did pretty well in HnN without learning crazy amounts of detail.

I would refuse to do it also, particularly because I've used workbooks throughout as opposed to iPads. Imagine the stress of not being able to write an answer properly.

We've used Ipads throughout but it is so buggy. And its not easy to write long pieces of texts, either by using a pen or a keyboard. A couple of my formatives I've hand written because it is such a pain on the Ipad.

Personally, although Ipads are good for lecture slides, I'd much rather have printed work books!

Yeah a list of HnN topics would be good. Currently snowed under with all the joys of ESA2. I hate MSK because we don't really know what we need should know. And half of the clinical stuff they just quickly mention in the DR but thats it.
We've used Ipads throughout but it is so buggy. And its not easy to write long pieces of texts, either by using a pen or a keyboard. A couple of my formatives I've hand written because it is such a pain on the Ipad.

Personally, although Ipads are good for lecture slides, I'd much rather have printed work books!

Yeah a list of HnN topics would be good. Currently snowed under with all the joys of ESA2. I hate MSK because we don't really know what we need should know. And half of the clinical stuff they just quickly mention in the DR but thats it.

MSK isn't too bad in the exam, it's usually basic stuff. They often give some form of an x-ray which you have to label, identify bones/ligaments/neurovascular structures. In my ESA2, I had a question of femoral fractures and then a dislocated elbow, which were both quite straight forward. The reason they chill on the MSK in ESA2, is because of the OSCE. My ESA2, had a lot more MOD, I think we had 3 cancer questions (lung, breast and skin)
MSK isn't too bad in the exam, it's usually basic stuff. They often give some form of an x-ray which you have to label, identify bones/ligaments/neurovascular structures. In my ESA2, I had a question of femoral fractures and then a dislocated elbow, which were both quite straight forward. The reason they chill on the MSK in ESA2, is because of the OSCE. My ESA2, had a lot more MOD, I think we had 3 cancer questions (lung, breast and skin)

I don't mind msk in a written exam so much, its more the OSCE that I am worried about :s-smilie:

I think we're expecting quite a bit of repro to come up in the written papers. I still need to revise all of ESA1 as well! Its going to be a looonnnnggg 4 weeks!
Original post by Medicine Man
Real patients, with real pathology where you're required to diagnose and think about investigating and managing them from 3rd year? That's very tough to do - I don't think I'd have been able to do that comfortably as a 3rd year; I'd barely been let loose on a ward. :s It's the reason everyone starts flocking to wards in final year to find patients with signs. :p: The struggle was real. :p: I guess it depends on the structure of your course though and what you've been taught by each stage. Just out of curiosity, does your final year vary to 3rd year then?

Third year was similar (real patients with signs), but less emphasis on investigation and management. We would have been on the wards for a year and half at this point so it's a little less alien.

Ha yeah, during my finals I saw more signs than I've seen during my entire final year. Most of which I'd only ever read about.

Very strange doing an examination and actually finding something (other than your usual crackles or pitting oedema). You have to suppress the inner thought of "oh wow, that's really cool, I've never seen that before!".

The MSK vertebral column included the highlight of "The vertebral column, also known as the vertebral column" :facepalm:

Lmao, I hope on the second time you pronounced it slightly differently.

The vertebral column, also known as the verTEEbral column.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Etomidate
Third year was similar (real patients with signs), but less emphasis on investigation and management. We would have been on the wards for a year and half at this point so it's a little less alien.

Ha yeah, during my finals I saw more signs than I've seen during my entire final year. Most of which I'd only ever read about.

Very strange doing an examination and actually finding something (other than your usual crackles or pitting oedema). You have to suppress the inner thought of "oh wow, that's really cool, I've never seen that before!".

Lmao, I hope on the second time you pronounced it slightly differently.

The vertebral column, also known as the verTEEbral column.

Lol I missed the word lecture in that sentence. It was an hour long lecture and thats about all I came away with. Our neuro lecturer spends ages on over explaining the most simple of things and then skips over complex stuff saying we can learn it ourselves.
Original post by noregrets
In my OSCE this week I said that the patient's tongue was fasciculating...the examiner looked at me like wtf :confused: so I quickly said 'or the patient is just shaking' and they nodded. Mortified :redface:

Lol, I had a gynae history question about at what stage might a pregnant woman give a negative pregnancy test and why (3-4 months and because hCG drops around 9 weeks, thus giving a negative result) I said luteal phase, they looked at me with disgust and repeated it with simple words.....
Original post by noregrets
We had head and neck in 2.5 weeks and it was taught horrendously..expect to be looking up an anatomy atlas an awful lot! It's fine eventually though!

we get like a whole separate term to learn just the head and still lots of people complain about it.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Really strange OSCE style - all of ours are skill sets, with 12 stations and 8 from this year;
Thyroid/Sensory/Motor/Cranial Nerve/Spine/Shoulder/Knee/Hip/Lymph Node/Oral/Abdominal/Ear/Eye

Plus Histories
(Gynae/GI/Thyroid/Headache/Collapse)

Very first aid-y.

Preclinical years at GKT is basically all lectures. There's clinical skills workshops here and there, but most of them were in first year and our OSCE is at the end of the second year where all this stuff can be examined. So we forget what we learned in the hour session and have to practice it from scratch basically in prep for the OSCE. -_-

I think they've made it basically all first aid and some comm to get the basics down. We haven't been taught any examinations thus far.
I don't mind msk in a written exam so much, its more the OSCE that I am worried about :s-smilie:

I think we're expecting quite a bit of repro to come up in the written papers. I still need to revise all of ESA1 as well! Its going to be a looonnnnggg 4 weeks!

The anatomy in the OSCE is really straight forward. Some lecturers can be difficult in the stations, but just stand by what you say.

I remember the grad rotation in my cohort had the easiest OSCE in terms of the anatomy assessed (they were the Wednesday slot) so hopefully yours will be similar.
The anatomy in the OSCE is really straight forward. Some lecturers can be difficult in the stations, but just stand by what you say.

I remember the grad rotation in my cohort had the easiest OSCE in terms of the anatomy assessed (they were the Wednesday slot) so hopefully yours will be similar.

Thanks for the reassurance! I really hope our OSCE isn't on the Monday, the later the better. It bodes well that previous grads have been later :smile:

I hope its going well for you, whatever you're doing atm :smile:
I best get back to revision!! :yawn::unimpressed:
Ah I got a Wellcome Trust scholarship for the summer! :awesome:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
You may infer that, I couldn't possibly comment. Just trying to think happy thoughts and not dwell for the next week.

Fingers crossed will be a pass! :yep:
Original post by Asklepios
Ah I got a Wellcome Trust scholarship for the summer! :awesome:

Can't rep but congrats! What are you going to use it for?
Urgh, I have no ****ing idea what to do for the elective. Kind of wish it could just be bypassed. So much fuss.
So my boyfriend's mum is in hospital from a car accident. He's so emotionally drained and it's killing him. :frown:
He wants me to be there for him but the thing is our relationship is sort of not working out and I was planning on leaving him next weekend when we meet. (LDR)

I don't know what to do now :/ I don't want to be horrible and leave him out of the blue but I also don't want to carry the relationship further. Should I wait till after June when exams are over? I really don't want a distraction from my work and I planned to see him once before exams begun:/
Original post by Mrs House
So my boyfriend's mum is in hospital from a car accident. He's so emotionally drained and it's killing him. :frown:
He wants me to be there for him but the thing is our relationship is sort of not working out and I was planning on leaving him next weekend when we meet. (LDR)

I don't know what to do now :/ I don't want to be horrible and leave him out of the blue but I also don't want to carry the relationship further. Should I wait till after June when exams are over? I really don't want a distraction from my work and I planned to see him once before exams begun:/

Oh, that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear. :frown:

I've always thought these sounded like incredibly sticky situations: you don't want to lead him on like you still want to be together, but at the same time you don't want to hang him out to dry at a stressful time. If it was me, I'd stick the relationship out for a little while more to help him get to terms with it and then break up. Whether that's the right thing to do or not I don't know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Oh, that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear. :frown: I've always thought these sounded like incredibly sticky situations: you don't want to lead him on like you still want to be together, but at the same time you don't want to hang him out to dry at a stressful time. If it was me, I'd stick the relationship out for a little while more to help him get to terms with it and then break up. Whether that's the right thing to do or not I don't know!Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks:smile: it really is a sticky situation and something that I'm quite scared of:frown:

I'm leaning more to sticking it out till June but I know he would want someone to talk too and stuff and I just don't have the time to get more emotionally involved.

Latest

Trending

Trending