The Student Room Group

Foundation year engineering without Maths A-level

Hi there,

So I'm at uni right now, but not enjoying my course and thinking of applying/transferring to Foundation Engineering, which is an option for me.

The only thing giving me pause so far is that, while it is a Foundation year, I've heard suggestions that even then, most people have A-level Maths and it'll be nigh on impossible without it. The course director at my current uni seemed discouraging, although a history of depression and suicidality which has now passed may have also been putting them off...

I've heard one person's experiences so far, and I just wanted to ask here to other people who did the Foundation year what their experiences were?

Thank you!
Original post by DeanFoley
Hi there,

So I'm at uni right now, but not enjoying my course and thinking of applying/transferring to Foundation Engineering, which is an option for me.

The only thing giving me pause so far is that, while it is a Foundation year, I've heard suggestions that even then, most people have A-level Maths and it'll be nigh on impossible without it. The course director at my current uni seemed discouraging, although a history of depression and suicidality which has now passed may have also been putting them off...

I've heard one person's experiences so far, and I just wanted to ask here to other people who did the Foundation year what their experiences were?

Thank you!

I thought the purpose of foundation was to introduce the relevant maths that you'll be using later on in the engineering course for those who didn't have the opportunity to do A level maths!

Latest