The Student Room Group

Paying rent at Uni - advice?

Hey,

So I don't know how often this happens with people, but it turns out my rent for this quarter is due a month before my student finance comes in. I can just about afford the rent, but it means I'm going to be pretty much broke for the next couple of months...

I was wondering if anyone had ever had this problem, and was wondering if anyone thought it was worth going and talking to our letting agents about pushing back the rent date? I know it's different for each town/agents, etc. But if anyone has any experience or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a job, so I'm hoping there'll be more work in the next few months, but it isn't guaranteed, and I'm just really worried!

Thanks
The same thing has happened with me this year, my 3rd loan payment comes two/three weeks after my rent is due. Luckily, my parents are willing to give me the money until I can pay them back once my loan comes in but I understand this may not work for you. It can't hurt to talk to the agents who run the management of your house, though if you do talk to them then take a copy of your payment schedule in to prove you aren't just making it up, and also so they know the date they can expect the payment by. I suppose it depends on how used to students they are as for many student-specific types of accommodation they're very flexible when it comes to rent dates.
Reply 2
Original post by who.the.heck
Hey,

So I don't know how often this happens with people, but it turns out my rent for this quarter is due a month before my student finance comes in. I can just about afford the rent, but it means I'm going to be pretty much broke for the next couple of months...

I was wondering if anyone had ever had this problem, and was wondering if anyone thought it was worth going and talking to our letting agents about pushing back the rent date? I know it's different for each town/agents, etc. But if anyone has any experience or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a job, so I'm hoping there'll be more work in the next few months, but it isn't guaranteed, and I'm just really worried!

Thanks

It's happened to me before and my landlords have been quite understanding and happy to wait until we got our loans in. So no harm in asking.
Original post by who.the.heck
Hey,

Thanks

There is no harm in asking or maybe asking if you can pay a smaller percentage of your rent. If your rent is due to be paid quaterly, would switching to paying monthly help? Offering to pay something rather than nothing will probably go down better than asking to pay nothing at all for a few months.

However, the landlord may well have a morgage to pay, and might not be able to cover the morgage payment that month unless he gets all his rent in. If they say no, then you do need to pay as much as you can afford (ideally all of the rent you owe) as if you get into significant rent arrears, then the landlord can issue a section 8 notice and start eviction proceedings. Even if you don't get into a large amount of arrears, it may be a problem when you want to rent somewhere else and you want a reference from them.

If they say there's nothing they can do, is there a family member you can ask for a loan, or can you access an interest free overdraft? If you end up in genuine financial hardship, the university may also be able to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending