The Student Room Group

Would you recommend going to university at 17?

So I'm wondering if i should take a gap year or not, if i don't I'll be 17 throughout my whole first year at university.. I plan on studying in the UK and as far as I know the laws are quite strict there, you can't go clubbing or go to pubs.. And that's where a lot of the social life takes place.. Your opinion would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by hadukilami
So I'm wondering if i should take a gap year or not, if i don't I'll be 17 throughout my whole first year at university.. I plan on studying in the UK and as far as I know the laws are quite strict there, you can't go clubbing or go to pubs.. And that's where a lot of the social life takes place.. Your opinion would be much appreciated :smile:

+1 vote for a gap year and starting uni at 18.
Definitely take a gap year, you'd miss out on a lot
Reply 3
It is not completely unknown for people in the UK to go drinking and clubbing at 17 years of age.

I'd take the gap year if it was me.
Original post by Old_Simon
It is not completely unknown for people in the UK to go drinking and clubbing at 17 years of age.

or 15...
Reply 6
Original post by Old_Simon

Not at all, but the generally the underlying knowledge that you shouldn't be 'having fun' as you are wouldn't be very enjoyable for a year. Also, university-owned clubs and union bars etc almost always ID, at least mine do and those I have visited do as well. Clubs in London almost always ID as well, unless you look like an A-list model etc. It's much better not to have the fear of being caught or of being embarrassed in front of older students.
I knew a guy who started at 17 and his first year was pretty rubbish as he could never join in with people drinking etc so he missed out on making friends and it then threw him and he never caught back up, others I know who took the gap year came with extra life experience and maturity and enjoyed their time much more
Reply 8
You can't do my course unless you're 18, but for you, I'd take a gap year!
Reply 9

I went to uni at 17 - in first year I'd say the majority of boozing was house parties with occasional sneaking into pubs/clubs. It's all part of the fun.
Reply 10

Depends what you want from uni, if you want a decent grade then you won't be partying that much anyway, and at 17 you would still get in the pubs etc no doubt. But a gap year would be my vote for you, as long as you use it productively and not sit and play COD online for a solid year.
your paying £30,000 to drunk so might aswell participate in the freshers week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I didn't realise you could go to Uni at 17? :confused:

When looking at Uni's some of them say that you must be 18 because of the adult environment.
Reply 13

There is always a way to bypass that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending