The Student Room Group

Is it possible to change your course after you enroll in your course?

So if you begin your studies in a course and are dissatisfied with it, will you be able to change it (within the same university) without problems?

I am very sure about my course now, but it is possible that I realize that this course isn't the right one for me at a later time. Will I be able to change then, i.e. from an Engineering course to another Engineering course or Business?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by samman282
x

It depends on how far your desired course is from your current course. It's not that rare of a thing for students to change within departments - say, from Genetics BSc to Biomedical Sciences BSc, or from International Relations to Political Sciences for example - and it does happen quite often. It'd be much harder to switch to a completely unrelated course, say from aforementioned Genetics to Pol. Sci, especially if you have no prior knowledge or qualifications for the new course.
Reply 2
Original post by hslakaal
It depends on how far your desired course is from your current course. It's not that rare of a thing for students to change within departments - say, from Genetics BSc to Biomedical Sciences BSc, or from International Relations to Political Sciences for example - and it does happen quite often. It'd be much harder to switch to a completely unrelated course, say from aforementioned Genetics to Pol. Sci, especially if you have no prior knowledge or qualifications for the new course.

So as you say, would it be almost impossible to change from Aero-Mechanical Engineering to International Business in the first year?
So as you say, would it be almost impossible to change from Aero-Mechanical Engineering to International Business in the first year?

It depends on when in the first year. If you were to want to do it two weeks in, you'd have a good chance. After two months, you'd have missed too much, so you'd probably just have to restart the following year.
Its also worth mentioning that having sudden doubts about your chosen course or Uni is perfectly *normal* at this stage. Most people go through something like this in the months or weeks leading up to leaving home/going to Uni. Just re-read the course description, think about your thoughts from the Open Day or other visits. You'll probably realise that you have made the right choice and you have nothing to worry about.
yeah why not yolo
Normally if you want to change courses near the start of first year, it is possible.

However, you will usually need to meet the entry requirements of the course you wish to switch to. Also, it may be that at the start of the year, some courses have no room to take transfers. Most will be able to squeeze an extra student in, but not all. You can ask to switch but the new course is not required to accept you.

For a switch between unrelated courses (e.g. engineering and business), you would need to justify your reasons and show you are commited to the new course. These sorts of switches are much less usual than switching between closely related courses, e.g. two different engineering courses.
Reply 7
Thank you guys!
Well then, I hope I made the right choice :smile:.
Reply 8
But would you say my chances are good, if I would want to change from Mechanical Engineering to Industrial Engineering / Engineering with Management and Enterpreneurship? For example on the first day of the course.
But would you say my chances are good, if I would want to change from Mechanical Engineering to Industrial Engineering / Engineering with Management and Enterpreneurship? For example on the first day of the course.

You are giving out mixed messages. First you say you are 'very sure' you have chosen the right course but you might want to change later. Then you say you might want to change sometime in your first year. And now you might want to change on the first day. I think you need to work out what you want to study and why you want to study it, rather than seek advice on how to implement late changes of strategy.
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
You are giving out mixed messages. First you say you are 'very sure' you have chosen the right course but you might want to change later. Then you say you might want to change sometime in your first year. And now you might want to change on the first day. I think you need to work out what you want to study and why you want to study it, rather than seek advice on how to implement late changes of strategy.

Oh, I didn't intend to do this. However Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering are basically the same, they do only differ in the third and fourth year, where Industrial Engineers have additional topics like project management. That's why I think changing the course would be a good idea, but I'm pretty sure until know that so made the right choice. It's only details which I would like to study in addition, since I like everything which is about economy and business.
First, I wanted to study business, but then I made ny decision for engineering. The combination between these two courses seems perfect for me, because after graduation I can still work in product development branches while seeing everything from an engineers eye.

So would I have good chances?
Oh, I didn't intend to do this. However Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering are basically the same, they do only differ in the third and fourth year, where Industrial Engineers have additional topics like project management. That's why I think changing the course would be a good idea, but I'm pretty sure until know that so made the right choice. It's only details which I would like to study in addition, since I like everything which is about economy and business.
First, I wanted to study business, but then I made ny decision for engineering. The combination between these two courses seems perfect for me, because after graduation I can still work in product development branches while seeing everything from an engineers eye.

So would I have good chances?

OK, but if you want to change do it now rather than wait until the first day. There could be a limit on numbers. Contact the uni now and ask if it is possible.
Reply 12
OK, but if you want to change do it now rather than wait until the first day. There could be a limit on numbers. Contact the uni now and ask if it is possible.

But if I ask them to change, is it possible that they withdraw their offer?
I am waiting for three decisions anyway. Should I ask those to change now or wait until I get (hopefully) an offer?
But if I ask them to change, is it possible that they withdraw their offer?
I am waiting for three decisions anyway. Should I ask those to change now or wait until I get (hopefully) an offer?

They won't withdraw their offers. Call the others and ask if you can change. They will most likely ask if you are still interested in being considered for your original choice if they won't be able to consider you for the new one. That's up to you.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
They won't withdraw their offers. Call the others and ask if you can change. They will most likely ask if you are still interested in being considered for your original choice if they won't be able to consider you for the new one. That's up to you.

This.
Reply 15

This.

Okay, thanks :smile:. But don't you think it will have an influence on a possible offer, if they think that I'm unsure about my course (which I'm certainly not, it's just a better course than the one I chose, but basically the same).
Okay, thanks :smile:. But don't you think it will have an influence on a possible offer, if they think that I'm unsure about my course (which I'm certainly not, it's just a better course than the one I chose, but basically the same).

It's a very common thing. They don't get huffy in the admissions office.
Reply 17
It's a very common thing. They don't get huffy in the admissions office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending