The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carcinoma
1. Medicine in the UK is completely different to Law firms. Only a select few universities offer medical degrees, as opposed to law which is more widespread.

2. You are just wrong. You won't be able to understand why until you are a medical student/doctor. I can offer you many similar "I know a consultant" answers, but the fact is just knowing the requirements for the post FY2 posts including the consultant posts makes you realise how little it matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough then. I am not a medical student/doctor so I guess I'm not qualified to comment on any of this. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. But maybe if I get into medical school one day, I'll learn that I'm wrong, who knows :redface:

I see that you're at Newcastle, which I've applied to. Can I ask for your opinions on the SSCs? Are they similiar to EPQs at A level?
Reply 21
I was only asking because when I graduate I would like to train in London but I figured that you have to score really highly inorder to be accepted for a foundation post there. I just thought it would be unfair for say someone for oxbridge getting a higher ranking than me simply because they are from oxbridge. This means that the system is unfair to slow-developers.
Original post by Rubysmith
I was only asking because when I graduate I would like to train in London but I figured that you have to score really highly inorder to be accepted for a foundation post there. I just thought it would be unfair for say someone for oxbridge getting a higher ranking than me simply because they are from oxbridge. This means that the system is unfair to slow-developers.

If anything it would be harder for someone from Oxbridge to get a higher ranking, because you get points based on your decile within your year. So it'd probably be easier to get a higher decile if you want to a less academic med school.
Reply 23
Okay. I just had a look at the website to see how the whole ranking thing works. Apologies if some of my points are repeated but here is what I found.

YOU AFFECT YOUR MED SCHOOL`S RANKING and not the other way round.

At the end of medical school you are scored out of 100 (95 or 97 if you dont have a degree). 50 points from your position in your medical school: What that means is that if you are ranked as the top 10% in your medical school you score 43, 20% scores 42 and soon... you get an extra 5 if you have a degree and 2 points if you have other educational achievements.

And 50 points from the SJT test you do towards the end of your 5th year. The questions are similar to the SJT section you did (or you will do) in the UKCAT test.

At the end of 5th year you get to choose which hospital you would like to train in. London is popular + more people from around the globe will be applying here.

Your score out of 100 will determine your likelihood to work in your first hospital choice. It will also determine what position your school is at, so if the majority of people in your medical school scores round about 89-100 points your school will be highly rated and vice versa.

It all depends on you and where you want to go and what you want to do. For example if you want to be a paediatrician in Scotland and you need about 75 points to get there then you can aim for that.

Is anything is wrong there please tell me. Here is the link if anyone wants to have a look. file:///C:/Users/asus/Downloads/FPAFP_2014_Applicants_Handbook_FINAL.pdf
Reply 24
Although post-FY2 specialty applications do have your medical school written on them, it's not a selection criteria.

Applications are still scored against objective criteria in about 10 different categories - there's a certain number of points available for additional degrees, prizes, publications, audit, teaching, commitment to specialty etc, and the criteria for scoring are very clear. Which medical school you went to is not included in any of this, so there is no chance of bias at the pre-interview stage.

Even the interviews are standardised as far as possible - often multiple stations with different panels and different aims (I had to do a presentation, a clinical scenario and a portfolio station). Although there might be the tiniest chance of your university impressing someone in the portfolio station, the difference it could make would only be marginal as the mark schemes are quite rigid.

At consultant level, I think things are more flexible, but by that point you'd have been a doctor for at least 10 years, usually more, so it really is pretty irrelevant.
Original post by Helenia
Although post-FY2 specialty applications do have your medical school written on them, it's not a selection criteria.

Applications are still scored against objective criteria in about 10 different categories - there's a certain number of points available for additional degrees, prizes, publications, audit, teaching, commitment to specialty etc, and the criteria for scoring are very clear. Which medical school you went to is not included in any of this, so there is no chance of bias at the pre-interview stage.

Even the interviews are standardised as far as possible - often multiple stations with different panels and different aims (I had to do a presentation, a clinical scenario and a portfolio station). Although there might be the tiniest chance of your university impressing someone in the portfolio station, the difference it could make would only be marginal as the mark schemes are quite rigid.

At consultant level, I think things are more flexible, but by that point you'd have been a doctor for at least 10 years, usually more, so it really is pretty irrelevant.

This! Much more concise than I managed.

Latest

Trending

Trending