The Student Room Group

Fashion design or fashion journalism

Hi guys this might be long so I'm going to try to break it down.

I am currently on a gap year because I quit my law degree as it was something I had an interest in and not a passion and found it boring and unmotivating

I have currently applied to do fashion journalism and journalism at a few university's

My dilemma is I've always had a passion for fashion and would love to be able to actually study fashion design as that's the the best way to break into the industry as not many ppl make it without a fashion design degree while as I could always do a quick course to become a joirnalist ( I want to work in magazine)

However I love writing and I dont want to spend 4 years or five because I'm scared of wasting time ( I'm already 20 I should be graduating from uni next year)

I don't have any experience in fashion design which will mean I'm going to have to take a foundation year of some sort - with the addition of 4 years for degree ( I'll be 25 when i grauate)
I'm just scared of eating time I've already had a year plus this gap year (2 yrs off) I just want a good job a field I love - I've learned from law not to do something just for the sake of prestige or laziness

Guys please help I need advice thank you for reading this xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
If you want to do fashion design you would probably have to do a foundation because they would want to see a portfolio of your work. They usually only accept people onto design courses who have done a foundation or BTEC on an art&design course of some type. But if you want to do fashion journalism, I don't see why you would have to do a design course, it seems a bit pointless. I wouldn't matter about your age and the timing, if its really what you want to do, go for it, in the long term you'll be a lot happier with it:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest