The Student Room Group

external funding for MSc

I'm starting an MSc in Artificial Intelligence at Edinburgh University in September. I'm finding it difficult to find any external funding sources. Does anyone have any ideas for organisations or companies I can ask for support? I'm of UK Scottish nationality living in Scotland. :confused:
Reply 1
Wish I could offer help, but all I can do is commiserate. Anywhere in the UK it's fearsomely difficult to find funding for a Masters as Research Councils now focus their funding on PhD-level research and above.

Your best bet is probably to approach the course leader of your MSc and ask how current/past students have funded themselves.
Reply 2
There is something called "The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding" written by 2 students who managed to secure over 45 k funding - mainly from charities. There is a free demo version online, but you can get it all for free from the University of Cardiff website where you fill in a form and they will email you a link to download the publication.

Here is the link for the Cardiff page:
http://cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/postgraduate/funding/alternative-funding-guide.html

*It's not just for people who study at Cardiff. You might find something useful in there, but it does require a lot of work, from what I read so far.
Reply 3
Klix88 is correct in her assessment. At current level, you stand a better chance to secure a scholarship abroad, try EU's Erasmus Mundus or go to Germany/Scandinavia.
Reply 4
Become part of the brain drain to Europe. Laughable to even think you can get funding for a masters, even in a highly technical subject like artificial intelligence. PhD, probably much better chance.

What are masters fees like in Scotland for Scots? On the order of £3000 or £9000?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your replies. Fees in Scotland generally about 9k. Unfortunately I cannot go to Scandinavia though :getmecoat:. Not sure I have the time to get much from charities but I'll try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending