The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Under no circumstances bring a bike onto campus. You'll be expelled from the univeristy without a second thought if caught with a bike :p:

But seriosuly, campus is full of bikes...loads of them. If you have room to transport over here, bring your bike with you :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
On the Cambridge open day, back last year my dad said "if you get into Cambridge, I'll buy you a bike". I'm not going to Cambridge, but I got in, so am still trying to claim the bike, but he's arguing it doesn't hold if I don't choose to go there :frown:
Reply 3
Bikers are shot on-sight in York =p

seriously now, York is the most biker-friendly city in Europe I think, there are cyclepaths all over the town and the campus.
I didnt buy a bike on my first year, but then, a friend gave me his bike for two weeks or so and I really liked the fact that I didnt have to walk, didnt have to wait for the bus, etc so I am actually thinking of buying one when I get back.
King Leigh
On the Cambridge open day, back last year my dad said "if you get into Cambridge, I'll buy you a bike". I'm not going to Cambridge, but I got in, so am still trying to claim the bike, but he's arguing it doesn't hold if I don't choose to go there :frown:

Keep pushing, if what you quote your Dad as saying is exactly what he said, you've got a good claim for a new bike.

Good luck in getting it :biggrin:
Reply 5
His exact words were "If you get into Cambridge son, I'll buy you a bike myself".

I got an offer from Cambridge, so I'm still trying to stake that claim!
Go you!
Reply 7
Bikes are really popular on campus and in town in general. They are very handy to get from one end of campus to the other (If you live in halifax and have a lecture in Alcuin for example) and there are loads of places to lock them up-Beware York has a high rate of bike thefts! The journey into town is pretty flat as well and it only takes about 10 mins to cycle into town.
Much much cheaper than the buses in any case.
Reply 9
I'm finally for my third year going to have a bike in York. Joy, joy. I will never set foot in a bus again, if I can help it. Maybe.
Fo sho, that's my plan as well. **** the ftr, yo.
Reply 11
Tonight Matthew
Fo sho, that's my plan as well. **** the ftr, yo.

innit x13. I'm going to buy a piece of **** bike so it's not a luring object to thieves, perhaps a pink bike - you'll all know who i am, i guess.
The FTR can FOAD, stupid giant buses.
Reply 13
belafron
Bikes are really popular on campus and in town in general. They are very handy to get from one end of campus to the other (If you live in halifax and have a lecture in Alcuin for example) and there are loads of places to lock them up-Beware York has a high rate of bike thefts! The journey into town is pretty flat as well and it only takes about 10 mins to cycle into town.

Well, if there's a lot of bikes around, of course more are going to get stolen. Common sense. :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Dez
Well, if there's a lot of bikes around, of course more are going to get stolen. Common sense. :rolleyes:

how are you at maths young boy?

say we have 100 bikes in york, so yours has 1/100 chance to get stolen. if we had more bikes, for example 200, the chance of yours getting stolen is 1/200.

common sense. duh
Reply 15
eth0
how are you at maths young boy?

say we have 100 bikes in york, so yours has 1/100 chance to get stolen. if we had more bikes, for example 200, the chance of yours getting stolen is 1/200.

common sense. duh

no - you assume that at least one bike will be stolen anyway. 1/100 multiplied by a particular sociological indicator for each city - I will call this 'The pikie propensity to steal' which may or may not be effected by the abundance of bikes. if the number of bikes doubles, and it is easier to find a bike to steal, perhaps people who would otherwise not steal will if it gets easier to do so. Perhaps those that steal a bike normally will shout bonanza! and go and steal another. However it goes, it's not something to be arsey about.
Reply 16
its pure maths, nothing complicated -unless you are doing a B.A in "David Beckham studies"- we are always talking about the possibility of someones bike (or ours) getting stolen.

anyway
I thought pure maths was calculus etc.
Reply 18
eth0
its pure maths, nothing complicated -unless you are doing a B.A in "David Beckham studies"- we are always talking about the possibility of someones bike (or ours) getting stolen.

anyway

What you're saying is that bikes are equally likely to be stolen for any number of bikes. This isn't the case; an act of bike theft becomes more likely if more bikes are around. The probability of your own bike being stolen (which is a different matter) is 1 over the number of bikes (the probability of the stolen bike being your bike, assuming a uniform probability distribution for all bikes) multiplied by the probability of a bike actually being stolen, which is variable dependent on the number of bikes. What the person said was right. Assuming a bike is stolen, you would be right. I'm not doing David Beckham studies.
eth0

anyway

What you're looking at there is the probability of an individual bike being stolen every time one bike is stolen.

But that isn't going to tell you how likely your own bike will be stolen in a particular time frame, which is the important figure here. For that the number of bikes does play a factor as is will affect the rate at which bikes are stolen (look at two extremes, in a city with one bike there would be far fewer bike thefts than in a city with 9 million bicycles).

So, York has a lot of bike thefts in terms of numbers. of thefts But that is probably due to the large number of bikes to start with.

To comment on the likelihood of your bike being stolen in comparison to other places it is not enough to look at the number of thefts, but to compare the percentage of bikes which are stolen in different cities over the same time frame.

Latest