The Student Room Group

Midwifery

Im in year 8 and I want to know what to take as my options, I want to become a midwife but I only get a choice of 2 options in a couple of months time I don't know what to take. I was thinking maybe french and ict or ict and art?
Reply 1
Hello! I'm currently in year 9 and going through the whole picking GCSEs thing. I would advise you to take health and social care if your school provide it because that's good for midwifery . Either than that, art is good if you put in the time but a language may look better. H and S care is a btec in our school, and apart from that subject I would advise you to STAY AWAY FROM BTECS universitys do not credit them a lot.
Hope this helped, good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Amellia13
Im in year 8 and I want to know what to take as my options, I want to become a midwife but I only get a choice of 2 options in a couple of months time I don't know what to take. I was thinking maybe french and ict or ict and art?

Hi!

Universities will look more at your grades, rather than what subjects you picked.

Most universities ask for 5 A-C's at GCSE in any subjects as long as it includes Maths, English and Science which are compulsory anyway.

Pick subjects that interest and challenge you but make sure they are ones you are good at. If you are bad at languages DON'T pick one just because you think it might look good to the university.

A bad grade WILL look worse than a good grade in a subject that is less academic, like textiles or I.T.

I can recommend picking child development if you can. It should interest you as you learn about the development of a baby and the effect on families. With hard work a good grade is very achievable. Saying that, work hard and you will do well in anything!

Good luck:smile:
Original post by Amellia13

Have a look at the entry requirements for different universities, and see what they say. For instance, http://www.nursing.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/bmid/coursedetails/?code=05121&pg=3

I'd suggest, however,that you err towards science subjects (double science at the very least, ideally triple science) because you will be expected to take a science subject at A Level.

Midwifery is very competitive nowadays, so you do need to make yourself as attractive to universities as possible - this means getting the grades and the right subjects and (nearer the time) getting some healthcare experience. If you want to make a start now, how about joining the St John cadets? http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/young-people/cadets.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest