The Student Room Group

Actuary Job Market

Just want to know what the actuary job market is like at the moment. Considering going into the profession after uni. Is there a lot of opportunity for graduates in this area?
Original post by wilson1098
Just want to know what the actuary job market is like at the moment. Considering going into the profession after uni. Is there a lot of opportunity for graduates in this area?

The world will always need actuaries. The market is good.
Reply 2
Original post by Hedgeman49
The world will always need actuaries. The market is good.

Positions are hugely competitive though! My uni has a large actuarial science course and I know literally 4 people who have secured actuarial training positions.
Original post by alibee
Positions are hugely competitive though! My uni has a large actuarial science course and I know literally 4 people who have secured actuarial training positions.

Check the maths course, you'll find more of them there!
Reply 4
It's quite competitive in terms of numbers (You're looking at 100 applications for a typical entry level role that is poorly advertised, and it's quite typical that almost every candidate left at the final stage will have experience in the sector). A graduate job on reedactuarial will often have 100 applications on the first day it's listed (if the counter is anything to go by). The most straightforward way is to go through a recruitment agency because the process is streamlined (They call you, tell you about the role, you agree that they can approach them with your CV. You go for an interview, you get the answer almost immediately and start negotiating the contact if you want the job). The only problem is that, in my experience, it's difficult to negotiate a great contract and you start to dislike the agent at this point.
Reply 5
Original post by Hedgeman49
Check the maths course, you'll find more of them there!

I study maths!! I just think that trainee roles are massively competitive. I know one person who's starting as an actuary with pwc in the autumn but they had an internship there last summer. There are two other people I know starting at smaller firms also following on from summer internships. Only one person I know has made a successful application to an actuarial grad scheme this cycle without being an intern there first.
Reply 6
very competetive, as entry schemes are for almost any candidate with a strong numerical background - not just people with actuarial science degrees. Securing that initial entry job is really tough, as some of the posts almost 100+ applications for a single trainee position. But the demand is there.. try Overseas ?
Reply 7
Original post by alibee
I study maths!! I just think that trainee roles are massively competitive. I know one person who's starting as an actuary with pwc in the autumn but they had an internship there last summer. There are two other people I know starting at smaller firms also following on from summer internships. Only one person I know has made a successful application to an actuarial grad scheme this cycle without being an intern there first.

I've recently applied for a work experience placement in the summer at a firm in London as I'm at sixth form. I'm guessing this will help me get into an internship once at uni?
Reply 8
I've recently applied for a work experience placement in the summer at a firm in London as I'm at sixth form. I'm guessing this will help me get into an internship once at uni?

Depends, What is the firm based? on?

and for how long is your experience?
Reply 9
Original post by helpmekid
Depends, What is the firm based? on?

and for how long is your experience?

It's for a company called Hymans Robertson, I specifically applied for the actuary role. It's only for a week, but it's the only work experience role I could find for somebody my age.
It's for a company called Hymans Robertson, I specifically applied for the actuary role. It's only for a week, but it's the only work experience role I could find for somebody my age.

Yeah, thats good! And its even better your at sixth form!

I would say after doing that, look for a normal part time job, and get as much work experience as possible since im guess you have around 3 months off summer right?
Reply 11
Yeah, thats good! And its even better your at sixth form!

I would say after doing that, look for a normal part time job, and get as much work experience as possible since im guess you have around 3 months off summer right?

I've currently got a part-time job, but it's in retail. Would it be better if I try to find an office-based job in the summer?
I've currently got a part-time job, but it's in retail. Would it be better if I try to find an office-based job in the summer?

No, keep the retail job... its better to have that, then a lazy small job in the office IMO.. retail equips you with a lot of skills..

PS Wht A level you doing?
Reply 13
No, keep the retail job... its better to have that, then a lazy small job in the office IMO.. retail equips you with a lot of skills..

PS Wht A level you doing?

Cool, cheers. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Law. I'm going to uni in September to study Maths.
Cool, cheers. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Law. I'm going to uni in September to study Maths.

Ahh, its good choice! All the best for your up coming exams! May I ask what uni? (If you dont want to answer i understand) and Also, build good connections in your work experience
Reply 15
Ahh, its good choice! All the best for your up coming exams! May I ask what uni? (If you dont want to answer i understand) and Also, build good connections in your work experience

Thank you! And Reading Uni :smile:
Thank you! And Reading Uni :smile:

Enjoy Uni and Have a great summer! :smile: and let us know how the summer experience goes! :smile:
Reply 17
Enjoy Uni and Have a great summer! :smile: and let us know how the summer experience goes! :smile:

Will do, that's if I get accepted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending