The Student Room Group

How to choose my firm??

So I'm now the proud owner of five unconditional offers to study BSc Maths (with an additional year of study in France) and the time has come to pick which one to go to.

Universities:
Bristol
Lancaster
Nottingham
Birmingham
Exeter

So far I have ruled out Exeter for practical reasons (250 miles away) and Birmingham simply because it is slightly lower in the tables and I think attending four open days would be too many.

I really need advice on how to choose which one to go to. I think the problem is I don't know what's going to be important to me. I guess I'd like to live in a larger vibrant city, which I think counts against Lancaster. I don't plan on going home every weekend so the significant difference in cost to get to say Bristol and Lancaster doesn't bother me that much either. As for which is 'the best uni', I'm seriously confused. The Guardian, the Times, the Complete University Guide... They're all wildly different.

So what should I look for at each university? What should I ask about on my open days? How do I make sure I make the right decision for me?

Thanks in advance
All I can say is that they're all good universities so go to the open days and choose the one that you feel happiest at.
Reply 2
They're all very good. I would pick Bristol as it seemed like a great uni in a great city, but I recommend going through their courses and seeing which you like best.
Wow! You got into Bristol for maths??! Blimey! Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MattSimcock
So I'm now the proud owner of five unconditional offers to study BSc Maths (with an additional year of study in France) and the time has come to pick which one to go to.

Universities:
Bristol
Lancaster
Nottingham
Birmingham
Exeter

So far I have ruled out Exeter for practical reasons (250 miles away) and Birmingham simply because it is slightly lower in the tables and I think attending four open days would be too many.

I really need advice on how to choose which one to go to. I think the problem is I don't know what's going to be important to me. I guess I'd like to live in a larger vibrant city, which I think counts against Lancaster. I don't plan on going home every weekend so the significant difference in cost to get to say Bristol and Lancaster doesn't bother me that much either. As for which is 'the best uni', I'm seriously confused. The Guardian, the Times, the Complete University Guide... They're all wildly different.

So what should I look for at each university? What should I ask about on my open days? How do I make sure I make the right decision for me?

Thanks in advance

Firstly its not the league tables that will make you happy. If you want a vibrant city life then Bristol or Nottingham would be the better options, but do look at course modules, and university facilities including campus and accommodation.
Argh please stop looking at league tables. They're a load of nonsense. Read this League Table Info Post

Have you had a look at the modules on offer? Which do you prefer?

If you like the idea of living in the middle of a busy city, go for Bristol / Nottingham / Birmingham. If rurality is more your thing, go to Lancaster.
Reply 6
I have an unconditional offer at Bristol for Mathematics with Statistics. I think I'm going to insure it. Bristol just looks amazing, but obviously go to Open Days and decide which one fits best for you. Who knows, we might see each other next year, good luck mate.
Original post by MattSimcock

Universities:
Bristol
Lancaster
Nottingham
Birmingham
Exeter

Thanks in advance

Why apply to Exeter or Birmingham if you were going to disregard them so easily?
Forget League Tables and all that nonsense. It's no way to choose a Uni.

Go back to basics - re-read the course description, in particular the detailed descriptions of all the optional units in all three years of the course. What would you choose- and why. Think about which course you will enjoy the most - because this is why you go to Uni, and it is what will make a good degree result the most likely.

Lots of advice about making this choice here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Bristol is the best for Maths out of those choices. It's in the tier after COWI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending