The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh vs. Warwick (Economics&Politics)

I have received a conditional offer for Economics and Politics from Edinburgh and a conditional offer for Economics, Politics and Int. Studies from Warwick. My insurance is Queen Mary, London. My first choice would be either Warwick or Edinburgh (the conditions are very similar). I'm an international student and what made me wonder was that in UK rankings Warwick usually placed in the top 3 for my course while Edinburgh didn't even make the top 25. Internatioal rankings generally placed Edinburgh in the top 20 while Warwick didn't make the top 150. Furthermore, Edinburgh is on the 15th place in the Global Employability University Ranking while Warwick isn't on the list.

Does anybody know what's the reason for this? Which university would you choose?

Thanks in advance!! xx
Reply 1
Original post by __iska
I have received a conditional offer for Economics and Politics from Edinburgh and a conditional offer for Economics, Politics and Int. Studies from Warwick. My insurance is Queen Mary, London. My first choice would be either Warwick or Edinburgh (the conditions are very similar). I'm an international student and what made me wonder was that in UK rankings Warwick usually placed in the top 3 for my course while Edinburgh didn't even make the top 25. Internatioal rankings generally placed Edinburgh in the top 20 while Warwick didn't make the top 150. Furthermore, Edinburgh is on the 15th place in the Global Employability University Ranking while Warwick isn't on the list.

Does anybody know what's the reason for this? Which university would you choose?

Thanks in advance!! xx

It might come down to location or whether you prefer certain elements of the course.
I would probably say, especially for an international student, that Edinburgh has a lot more prestige and recognition than Warwick. Yet I'm sure with a degree from Warwick you would still have plenty of opportunities to do well.

I think for university as a whole I would definitely say Edinburgh- the location is just wonderful, you are near the heart of Scottish politics and things will certainly get more interesting as we are having an independence referendum... Edinburgh also has a four year degree which makes taking a year abroad (if you want one) far easier. Edinburgh is well known for social science and humanities, so studying there will be pretty beneficial.

Look into the courses and see which one you prefer.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by __iska

Thanks in advance!! xx

Edinburgh uni is all nicely self-contained within George Square (since you're doing Econ/Pol) while being within the spread of a capital city. Some people prefer that over a campus in the middle of nowhere like Heriot-Watt in the outskirts of Edinburgh.

However Warwick is a lot more self-contained and sort of in the middle of nowhere, so you really get that campus feeling a lot more. Some people prefer that since it can be a lot cosier, and you never have to really walk too far.
Reply 3
Original post by __iska

Thanks in advance!! xx

I would choose Edinburgh, I think its because of the city, Edinburgh is a really great place to live, whereas Warwick not so much. Warwick seems to have a stellar reputation in the UK for Economics and Maths, but outside of the UK, its reputation is mainly confined to a few who know UK unis well. Edinburgh is known worldwide, not specially for Economics or Politics, but as a whole social sciences are pretty good at Edinburgh.
Sure Edinburgh as a city is far more dynamic, but the economics and politics in Edinburgh really isn't much good. The class sizes are massive for the first few years, and apparently students get very little guidance and support for the mathematical aspects of economics. A friend of mine studies there and she pointed out that that particular course is riding off the reputation of the entire uni. The politics course is better, but stills falls short of Warwick. Warwick on the other hand is much more respectable in economics and politics, fighting with LSE and Oxford for the top slots in the rankings each year. I was forced to make the same decision and opted for warwick because the campus style way of living and course excellency drew me in. :smile:
In addition, international rankings are made on much more 'prestige-led' criteria, where the UK ones focus on details that (imo) are much more relevant to the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by PreppyIBGirl
Sure Edinburgh as a city is far more dynamic, but the economics and politics in Edinburgh really isn't much good. The class sizes are massive for the first few years, and apparently students get very little guidance and support for the mathematical aspects of economics. A friend of mine studies there and she pointed out that that particular course is riding off the reputation of the entire uni. The politics course is better, but stills falls short of Warwick. Warwick on the other hand is much more respectable in economics and politics, fighting with LSE and Oxford for the top slots in the rankings each year. I was forced to make the same decision and opted for warwick because the campus style way of living and course excellency drew me in. :smile:
In addition, international rankings are made on much more 'prestige-led' criteria, where the UK ones focus on details that (imo) are much more relevant to the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I've eventually firmed Warwick :smile:
Do u think your decision was right ? I am in the same dilemma Warwick or Edinburgh ?
Reply 7
Same ! I've visited Warwick and some of my friends are there and the support they get is amazing, (responsive personal tutors, teachers being very understanding). Edinburgh does have a more established reputation (and the city truly is amazing), but lots of online reviews keep bringing up that the support is not that good (due to the number of students) and that there is a lot of academic pressure. Mixed feelings.
Original post by __iska

Thanks in advance!! xx

Warwick by far

Latest

Trending

Trending