The Student Room Group

Passed 3 years ago, not driven since, lessons?

I passed my driving test 3 years ago before going to university. I passed with 2 minors, but I haven't driven since that day simply because I had no need for a car at uni and I got by in the summer.

Having now come to the end of my degree I'm thinking of getting a car to make myself more mobile.

I was a good driver, but I'm nervous about getting back behind the wheel and feel like I've forgotten everything that I've learnt.

Should I get some driving lessons with my old instructor to get my skills back up to standard or should I just practice with my family in their small car in a car park and round our area?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Whatever you feel most comfortable with, a lot of people have refresher lessons and you'll probably only need a couple of hours.
Original post by greenfly125
I passed my driving test 3 years ago before going to university. I passed with 2 minors, but I haven't driven since that day simply because I had no need for a car at uni and I got by in the summer.

Having now come to the end of my degree I'm thinking of getting a car to make myself more mobile.

I was a good driver, but I'm nervous about getting back behind the wheel and feel like I've forgotten everything that I've learnt.

Should I get some driving lessons with my old instructor to get my skills back up to standard or should I just practice with my family in their small car in a car park and round our area?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could either get some refresher lessons (either with your old instructor or another one), practice in your own/your parents car, or you could even do the pass plus for experience. Whichever you feel most comfortable with.
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
You could either get some refresher lessons (either with your old instructor or another one), practice in your own/your parents car, or you could even do the pass plus for experience. Whichever you feel most comfortable with.

I thought you had to do pass plus within 2 years or passing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Cheaper to do refresher lessons then get insurance
Reply 5
Original post by jusdorange

How? If I get my own car and refresh myself in it with my friends and family, I'm not paying for learner insurance, it would just be normal insurance. Even if I get insurance for my friends car (a 1999 Micra, and I'm over 21) so I can practice before I get my own I doubt it will be very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenfly125
I thought you had to do pass plus within 2 years or passing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, theres no rule saying you have to do it within x months or years after passing.
Quite a few people who do pass plus do it within the first year after passing their test, but you can do it anytime.
I suppose its kind of useful in that you get to do things like motorways, which you wouldnt have done before passing your test (as its illegal for learner drivers to go on the motorway). And some people feel more confident about doing things like that with an instructor rather than on their own or with someone else.
Pass plus is good for the experience. The only downside is that if you are expecting it to bring your insurance down, you might be disappointed.
Original post by jusdorange

How?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending