The Student Room Group

UK Teacher switch to TEFL

Hi all,

I tried searching, but many of the posts seemed to have been from non qualified teachers looking to start a TEFL course.

I am currently a secondary school teacher, in a full time position, currently in my third year of teaching. My wife is looking to study abroad in 2-3 years time. She would like to go to Italy or Spain, but is still undecided. I am now trying to ensure I am in the best possible position to find work when we move, and TEFL seemed like a logical choice. Ideally I would train online, but this seems like this may hurt my job prospects. Everywhere seems to suggest CELTA as being the best course to follow, but this would require me to give up work to train.

So my question is: do I really need a CELTA? I have teaching experience, and will have another 2-3 years by the time we are looking to leave. This seems to be the 'critical' element that makes CELTA stand out.

IF I do not need a CELTA, which other course would allow me to teach English as a second language in Europe?

Thank you for all responses.
Reply 1
Why would you not look in the international schools for a post in one of those first? That would be my first port of call. You would be far more likely to find reliable work at a salary you're used to than going into TEFL teaching.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply Angelil. I suppose it is the current UK job market that has me concerned. It is dog eat dog out there at the moment, and I see good teachers having to resort to supply work to make ends meet. Now this is in a country where I regularly see a few dozen jobs come up each year (for my subject). On the international scene I am assuming the number of English speaking jobs in international schools is going to be far fewer, and far more competitive (quick search reveals two in Italy!). Although it is where I may initially look for work, I would be more comfortable with something to fall back on.
Reply 3
Heim:

There are plenty of English-speaking jobs in international schools. Do you actually teach English, or another subject?
In any event, it's hardly peak recruiting season at present, so keep looking (on TES and on individual school websites). Set up a job alert on TES so that they'll email you every time a job is listed in your chosen countries too.
Reply 4
I teach ICT and Computer Science. I will keep an eye out. Thanks.
Reply 5
It only takes a month to complete a CELTA so you could do it over the summer holidays.
Hi Heim,

Unfortunately the TEFL job markets in Italy and Spain are pretty competitive, so an international school may well be your best bet. Why don't you look at TEFL jobs in Italy and Spain first and see what the requirements are, then choose a course based on that? Some good websites to look for TEFL jobs are Dave's ESL Cafe and TEFL.com. You can also check out some city-specific job boards like Wanted in Rome. I assume you're British? You shouldn't need a visa to work in Italy or Spain, that will be a big help in landing a job.

If you still think you want to take some kind of TEFL course and don't want to spend all that money on a CELTA then you can read some TEFL course reviews to get more of an idea.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending