The Student Room Group

Please help me with my gcse biology revision- I'm really scared

Help this will be my first official GCSE exam ever and I'm really scared as I don't know everything :'(

Sorry, It's not that I don't care, I was predicted an A* at the beginning of the year but I've been getting worried about failing and I don't think I know all the stuff. Plus my teacher hates me so I've been trying to learn the stuff at home because she is a bad teacher, not bad enough to be fired but bad enough that she has a go at anyone who asks her to do any extra work like talk through my past paper (yes I asked her and she had a go at me.) - I got a C in that paper :frown:

I haven't been revising because I have no idea how plus I haven't learnt everything so I can't revise because I don't know everything. The exam is in 22 days and is on the hardest 2/3rds of the course please help :'( I don't know what to do and I'm freaking out, I've lost 2 weeks I could have been revising because I was scared and it was easier to forget about it and watch TV than face up to the mountain load of work I feel is waiting for me. I know how stupid that sounds that I watsed 2 whole weeks but I had no idea how to approach the work load. I've missed a couple of lessons which (reading the specification) seem to have important concepts in. Please help me I don't know what to do and I'm getting really stressed and anxious about all this :'(
Reply 1
Past Papers is key, as you get a feel for the exams- you'll then realise that it isn't that daunting after all. Also, when it comes to revising, get the specification, and tick off everything you know, whilst making notes on each topic. The topics that you haven't yet covered, or completely understand, use revision websites such as 'mygcsescience'. There, you are able to go over videos covering the topics that you don't understand (but be sure to go over the topics in the specification for your exam board).

When it comes to motivation to revise, I would suggest visualising the kind of grades you want to happen (an A*). You then have to work hard to ACHIEVE that goal; the though of failing should be enough to motivate you also.

Best of luck in your examinations- hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by asapsimeon
Past Papers is key, as you get a feel for the exams- you'll then realise that it isn't that daunting after all. Also, when it comes to revising, get the specification, and tick off everything you know, whilst making notes on each topic. The topics that you haven't yet covered, or completely understand, use revision websites such as 'mygcsescience'. There, you are able to go over videos covering the topics that you don't understand (but be sure to go over the topics in the specification for your exam board).

When it comes to motivation to revise, I would suggest visualising the kind of grades you want to happen (an A*). You then have to work hard to ACHIEVE that goal; the though of failing should be enough to motivate you also.

Thank you :smile: I'm making notes from the specification at the moment and I'm splitting the topics down into smaller ones so hopefully that will help me, I'm still worried but I hope that feeling will keep me motivated.
Reply 3
you're welcome- and it should, trust me- as long as you want to do well FOR YOURSELF, you'll be fine. best of luck (y)
Original post by asapsimeon

Agree with everything in this :tongue: I was going to say that too :tongue: Good advice :smile:

So OP:

Check specification so you know what you need to learn
Use mygcsescience YouTube channel (its for AQA but you can still learn the stuff you need to know there)
Get a revision guide, one that goes with your exam board (so everything you'd need to know is on there) or perhaps CGP ones, they're great!
Then practise with past papers
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Duckielurve
Help this will be my first official GCSE exam ever and I'm really scared as I don't know everything :'(

Sorry, It's not that I don't care, I was predicted an A* at the beginning of the year but I've been getting worried about failing and I don't think I know all the stuff. Plus my teacher hates me so I've been trying to learn the stuff at home because she is a bad teacher, not bad enough to be fired but bad enough that she has a go at anyone who asks her to do any extra work like talk through my past paper (yes I asked her and she had a go at me.) - I got a C in that paper :frown:

I haven't been revising because I have no idea how plus I haven't learnt everything so I can't revise because I don't know everything. The exam is in 22 days and is on the hardest 2/3rds of the course please help :'( I don't know what to do and I'm freaking out, I've lost 2 weeks I could have been revising because I was scared and it was easier to forget about it and watch TV than face up to the mountain load of work I feel is waiting for me. I know how stupid that sounds that I watsed 2 whole weeks but I had no idea how to approach the work load. I've missed a couple of lessons which (reading the specification) seem to have important concepts in. Please help me I don't know what to do and I'm getting really stressed and anxious about all this :'(

Exam board? And is it Core Science?
Reply 6
Original post by AMYC1999
Agree with everything in this :tongue: I was going to say that too :tongue: Good advice :smile:

So OP:

Check specification so you know what you need to learn
Use mygcsescience YouTube channel (its for AQA but you can still learn the stuff you need to know there)
Then practise with past papers

thanks, much appreciated :smile:
The letts "gsce in a week" series helped me with science. Hope that's still available and relevant because those books helped me massively for the harder subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest