The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE English Literature 2014

Scroll to see replies

Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls
What?! I got 84 or 86/100 in my mock and apparently that was only an A! I'm so confused . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Actually the 70% is when unseen and paper 1 (set text) are combined together.

This is last summer's grade boundary
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20Literature%20(0486)/0486_s13_gt.pdf

Paper 1 individually does not have an A*, but you only needed 53% to get an A in that paper.
Paper 3 the unseen required about 64% for an A for that paper.

You can get an A* when both marks are combined, which is always roughly around 70%. I'd say between 65% and 75%

I know, but when I asked my English department, they said that when combined, the A* was 92%!
Reply 63
Original post by Edminzodo
What?! I got 84 or 86/100 in my mock and apparently that was only an A! I'm so confused . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have a wrong knowledge that every subject has roughly the same grade boundary and 90%=A*, 80%=A, 70%=B blah blah blah.

I have an impression that they never actually check the grade boundary.
My English teacher does the same. She marked me D while I actually would have gotten an A in exam for an essay.
Reply 64
Original post by Renzhi10122
I know, but when I asked my English department, they said that when combined, the A* was 92%!

I think they lie to motivate you.
They also believe that 90%=A*, 80%=A, 70%=B for every subject for some reason. My English teacher also does the same thing - and I reckon she never actually checks grade boundary.

CIE is also famous for ridiculously low grade boundaries which I'm grateful for. Only subject that's got high grade boundary with CIE is Maths - which is always around 90% for A*
Reply 66
If I got 19/25 and 20/25 from my courseworks, what do I need to get in the lit exam in order to achieve A*?
You can find all the grade boundries from here - http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20Literature%20(0486)/
An A* last year for the coursework and set texts open book exam (11 + 02) combined was 69%.
So, take away your coursework mark scaled down to make it out of 25 from 69, and you've got the mark out of 75 needed for an A*. That's based purely on last year's summer exam though.
Summer 2012 was 70%, and Summer 2011 was 74%. The winter boundaries appear to be the same.

Woah even with the grade boundary at 74%, the highest I've seen, all I need for an A* in the paper with my coursework is 49/75, which is 16/17 on each question. That's perfectly doable. I'm feeling a lot more confident about tomorrow now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by veregudmen
I guess so. Even I have no idea which syllabus it is :P And I have the exam tomorrow.....
It really could have been much better. My main gripe with the book is, it protrays indian stereotypes and tries to mix it with 'Western' rationalization and thought process. It works in some other books; read any book by Chetan Bhagat for an example. In Hulaballoo, however, it doesn't come off.
Then again, my view is probably skewed by being Indian and actually seeing living versions of our stereotypes everyday.

Never read anything by him... But yeah I see what you mean. Migrant Indian here, but the only thing I found remotely similar was Ammaji (it was like reading about my own grandmother :tongue: ) I'm so glad it's over though... sick of the book. Which question did you pick?

Original post by KESEdwards
A* Grade boundaries for 0486 components 11 and 31 (ie no coursework) have been:

2011 - 70/100
2012 - 67/100
2013 - 63/100

Which gives me hope

This makes me so happy :biggrin:

How was the exam for everyone? I actually finished (sort of) but my paper is a horrendous mess—anyone else do the TIOBE essay on Jack's complicated life? :tongue:
Omg just finished the exam. It went so badly!!!!!! How about you guys? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by KythingToWrite
How was the exam for everyone? I actually finished (sort of) but my paper is a horrendous mess—anyone else do the TIOBE essay on Jack's complicated life? :tongue:

My paper is a complete mess as well. Crossed over this and that scribble scribble scribble...lol

I'm quite satisfied due to the fact that I virtually finished the questions i.e. wrote conclusion for everything regardless of the quality of contents. I'm sure I got very bad marks for this exam but actually I'm very happy that I got rid of this pest and that I will never ever have to take literature exam again as I only took sciences for A-levels! :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by C0balt
My paper is a complete mess as well. Crossed over this and that scribble scribble scribble...lol

I'm quite satisfied due to the fact that I virtually finished the questions i.e. wrote conclusion for everything regardless of the quality of contents. I'm sure I got very bad marks for this exam but actually I'm very happy that I got rid of this pest and that I will never ever have to take literature exam again as I only took sciences for A-levels! :biggrin::biggrin:

Why the lit hate? :frown: I'm so worried, I really really really need an A* on this and I studied the entire syllabus by myself... and I want to take it at A-levels, but I need to ace this exam first! :tongue: But good for you, that's how I'm gonna feel when I finish business :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by KythingToWrite
Why the lit hate? :frown: I'm so worried, I really really really need an A* on this and I studied the entire syllabus by myself... and I want to take it at A-levels, but I need to ace this exam first! :tongue: But good for you, that's how I'm gonna feel when I finish business :tongue:

I enjoyed analysing narrative stories (not drama and poetry though...) - well analysing in general so I like source work in history - but for some reason I hate the literature course and I just find it very pointless to spend time on at school. If I really liked literature I would just go on and read the books, analyse/write essays if I feel like it and discuss on forums or whatever if I wanted to.

It's like that with my maths and science. I could take GCSE maths in Year 9, due to my background maths education in Japan, but I was forced to take it this year as my English was bad back then. I spent pointless 3 years "revising" in class. GCSE maths is easy and I have gotten A* every time I did past paper and I always finished paper 1 hour earlier than the set time... but the pressure of "I must do well on this, I need to get A*, I wasted three years on this stupid maths, university will see maths GCSE mark because I'm science student" really got me and I really did bad (at least in my mind) for Paper 4 maths... I barely finished in time though I've always finished ages before the set time in practice...

I hate human psychology, such annoying piece of sheet :frown: Why can't we perform our best easily at exams we are supposed to be best at...god..

Well - fingers crossed. I wish you will be awarded with an A* for literature and you need to wish me I will be awarded with an A* for maths... *cry*
I found the exam rather easy, but I enjoy English Lit. However, my poetry anthology only contained half of 'Horses' so I only wrote about the half that I had been given as an exam invigilator assured me that this was normal. Do you think there is anything I can do to address this? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I answered Qs 1, 12 and 28
anyone do the same/similar ones?
Original post by georgecarsley
I answered Qs 1, 12 and 28
anyone do the same/similar ones?

I did question 1 too. Can't remember the numbers of the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
I did question 1 too. Can't remember the numbers of the others

Posted from TSR Mobile

12 was Pied Beauty and A Birthday
28 was Sandpiper
Reply 77
any hardy poems?
Reply 78
Yeah, we got Darklings Thrush in our mocks, which is my favourite, so I knew it wouldn't come up again, but I was really happy to see Convergence off the Twain, but I'm so surprised they put The Pine Planters on there, 'cause I swear there's like nothing to write on that one, I've only got about three points in my notes
Reply 79
Original post by Juwelz2
Yeah, we got Darklings Thrush in our mocks, which is my favourite, so I knew it wouldn't come up again, but I was really happy to see Convergence off the Twain, but I'm so surprised they put The Pine Planters on there, 'cause I swear there's like nothing to write on that one, I've only got about three points in my notes

yeah same for me, poetry is alright i didnt know which all my sons q to do though i don't even remember the one i did :frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest