The Student Room Group

Primary School Teacher- Without going to uni?

Hey basically I've always been told I've been good with kids and that I should work with then and perhaps go into child care- that hasn't really been my thing.
Though I was thinking that being a Primary school teacher really play on my strengths and is something that interests me.

However: I left 6th form 4 years ago now. I've been out of education for that long.
I had average as levels and pretty much failed A2.
I could have got into uni, but I've never wanted to go for a variety of reasons.

If I want to be a primary school teacher, do I have to have a degree, or are there other (hands on) options available?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Standard Procedure
Hey basically I've always been told I've been good with kids and that I should work with then and perhaps go into child care- that hasn't really been my thing.
Though I was thinking that being a Primary school teacher really play on my strengths and is something that interests me.

However: I left 6th form 4 years ago now. I've been out of education for that long.
I had average as levels and pretty much failed A2.
I could have got into uni, but I've never wanted to go for a variety of reasons.

If I want to be a primary school teacher, do I have to have a degree, or are there other (hands on) options available?

Thanks!

You need a degree to become a teacher, there are no other ways as it is a graduate profession.
You could do an access course to help you get onto a primary education course (with qts) at uni.
Original post by Shelly_x
You need a degree to become a teacher, there are no other ways as it is a graduate profession.
You could do an access course to help you get onto a primary education course (with qts) at uni.

Hmm ok, thanks!
I was never too sure about uni in the first place, let alone after a 4 year gap.

So my route in would be to do a foundation degree for a year, then do the full ba hons degree?
Even with a degree, it's not easy to get employed.
You could do a BEd degree, which would be different to a typical degree - teacher training over 3/4 years
I was never too sure about uni in the first place, let alone after a 4 year gap.

So my route in would be to do a foundation degree for a year, then do the full ba hons degree?

A foundation degree is usually two years and I'm unsure if they do them for teaching.

Look for Access courses. They are equivalent to A levels and prepare you for uni. Your local college may do them. Or, you could go back and resit your A levels.

Original post by Shelly_x
A foundation degree is usually two years and I'm unsure if they do them for teaching.

Look for Access courses. They are equivalent to A levels and prepare you for uni. Your local college may do them. Or, you could go back and resit your A levels.

I began my Access Course after a 15 year gap in education, and after raising a family. Don't let a 4 year gap put you off for no reason.
I did my Access Course part time, but I could really have done it full time as it was pretty easy. I'm now in my final year of uni, studying English, and graduate this year with my teacher training to start in September. It seems like a difficult and long path when you're standing at the very beginning, but if you put it off and put it off and then decide to start in a few years time, it will be even longer!
So if you really want to be a teacher, then you can do it.
Good luck.
Reply 8
Hi
I am about to start SCITT in September and I didn't go to a conventional Uni - I did (am doing - final exams in 5 weeks!) my degree with the Open University - it have taken me 5 years, but I've managed to bring up 3 children and work too (currently full time) so it can be done without going to Uni (but not without a degree!)
Hi,I would really like to be a primary school teacher but I was wondering if you had to go to university to be one. Is there any way I could do an apprenticeship instead of going to university? This would be a great help as I would love to get straight into business.Thanks very much!
Original post by Grace May H
Hi,I would really like to be a primary school teacher but I was wondering if you had to go to university to be one. Is there any way I could do an apprenticeship instead of going to university? This would be a great help as I would love to get straight into business.Thanks very much!

you have to have a degree.
Reply 11
Original post by emje78
Hi
I am about to start SCITT in September and I didn't go to a conventional Uni - I did (am doing - final exams in 5 weeks!) my degree with the Open University - it have taken me 5 years, but I've managed to bring up 3 children and work too (currently full time) so it can be done without going to Uni (but not without a degree!)

I did mine exactly the same way through the open university, took me six years while working full time and bringing up two children but I did it and like you I start my PGCE in September.

Definitely have a look about as there are a number of options available to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending