The Student Room Group

Giving people a lift

Hi,
As the title suggests, this isn't related to relationships, but given that this forum relates mainly to issues where advice is required, I thought it the most appropriate. Basically I started a summer job about 5 weeks or so ago, about 6 or 7 miles from where I live. As it turns out, somebody who lives in the same town as me works there also. He is slightly older than me and therefore I didn't know him from school or anything but vaguely recognised him from around town. When he asked where I live, he asked if he could get a lift to work with me (I have a car and drive). Of course, I said yes. Anyway, as time went on this became a regular occurence and so that whenever both he and I are at work on the same days (maybe 3 or 4 times a week), I take him and bring him home. I know he previously had to pay over £4 a day in bus fares and leave half an hour earlier than what he does when I take him. My Mum is disgusted that he has not offered me any petrol money and thinks I should ask him for about £2 a day. However, I hate asking for money and don't know if I am just being mean. I am all for giving a mate a lift now and again but I admit I do feel a little used; especially given that he has enough money to go out drinking most nights of the week.

Sorry that the post may appear rambling and long winded. What would you do?

Scroll to see replies

You'd still have to make the journey without him so does it matter whether he gives you money or not?
Reply 2
:dito: plus £2 a day is extortionate.
Reply 3
you think your post is rambling read the called "i think she made it up!!" my head hurts lol

but i agree with sazrina you are still going on the journey right
its not unreasonable though, i would have ofered the money if you were driving me, and i think you are entitled to bring it up
Sazarina88
You'd still have to make the journey without him so does it matter whether he gives you money or not?
Yeah but its the principal that hes taking it for granted. The extra weight means you use more petrol so its more than justifed that you ask him for some money. What about making a detour to a petrol station and just say something like 'maybe if I give you a lift whenever were work together, could you give me a little petrol money?'. £2 a day is a little much though; £10 of petrol can go for miles! Maybe just say £5 a week or something?

I'm sure he wouldn't be bothered, and if he is hes a user and refuse to take him again :smile:
The fact that it is a regular thing. Most people would offer petrol money, especially if you pick them up and drop them straight home. Maybe say as you're a poor student, and you're making extra journeys to pick him up/drop him, would he mind contributing a bit to each journey?

Personally I do think it's rude he hasn't offered, and he's just enjoying getting a free ride. I'd ask him to contribute.
My bf gives his brother a lift to and from work every day, and even though its only a 5-10 minute car ride his brother offers him petrol money! and thats family!
Reply 8
I must admit I do side with your mum, call it old-fashioned or not, but I do believe that if he had any dignity he would offer to pay you rather than free-loading off from you. I mean £2 is not asking much and he could easily say well can at least treat you to a coffee!!
Reply 9
do it slyly like going to the petrol station and complain about how much you have to spend on petrol! or you could come out and ask... nothing to lose i guess?
Reply 10
Sazarina88

I said that to my Mum and she said that in her opinion, that was missing the point entirely!

The fact remains I would hate to ever ask somebody for money, especially somebody that I work with.

Plus, I make sure he comes to my house and drop him off at my house so I don't actually make anymore of a journey. But as somebody said, doesn't it use more petrol for more people in the car?
Reply 11
i say £5 a week from him is justified. youre not being mean. if he doesnt accept, tell him to bugger off. youre only being fair. if he gets aggresive, kick him in the nuts.
just complain you dont have the money for petrol... mebe even when your in the petrol station and get it off him then
£2 a day!! Whats your mom on! If you asked him for that much it would be a grave insult imo.
Raz
i say £5 a week from him is justified. youre not being mean. if he doesnt accept, tell him to bugger off. youre only being fair. if he gets aggresive, kick him in the nuts.

Yeah thats good advice that i'm sure he or you would carry out..:rolleyes:
Trundle
But as somebody said, doesn't it use more petrol for more people in the car?
Yup, the more weight in the car, the more petrol is uses, I mean its not much more, but the principle is still there!
I still think it's rude that he hasn't offered - I was in a similar situation giving someone a lift to school.

I just meant it that you shouldn't get worried over it or anything. As people have said, drop subtle hints here and there and perhaps he will get the picture.

Sarah xx
Reply 17
If your going anyway who cares? His company should be enough. I always offer money but my friends don't take it unless they need it.
Reply 18
It would be fair of you to ask for money off him,you could try being subtle-ish, just go in a round a bout way about it, mention that doesnt he enjoy the lifts that your giving him, isint he saving loads of money, then hint that petrol cost u a lot. if he doesnt offer then well, stop the car and make him walk
Reply 19
well you've got nothing to lose really, bring it up and see how it goes. he might be really apologetic glad you brought it up and things are sorted, or he might be an arse about it, in which case you dont need to take him anymore, he can go back to paying 4 quid for the bus everyday and you can listen to whatever u want in the car!

Latest

Trending

Trending