The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, ask him to share costs and you'll actually end up making money, so all the better.
Sazarina88
You'd still have to make the journey without him so does it matter whether he gives you money or not?

i disagree - he is obviously having to drive a little out of his way to go and pick the guy up and drop him home. the guy (i think) cant just take/ expect lifts and not offer to repay him - even offering him a drink i would say fair enough.

it doesnt even seem like he goes out with him or anything so why should he feel bad. yeah, i admit that asking for money can be difficult but i think that he wont have a choice, he will have to either give you 2quid a day, or pay 4quid and leave 30mins earlier - i know what i would choose. i wouldnt think that anyone was being mean either - running a car is expensive.
£2 a day would be unfair, because like you said, he lives in the same town as you and you would be making the journey regardless of whether or not he was there.

I think it's a little rude of him not to offer you anything though. After all, he is saving a bus / train fare, and you don't have to give him a lift, you're doing him a favour.

Perhaps if you put a pot or something in the front of your car that said 'petrol money', on it he might see it and put some of his loose change in there. It's worth a try. :cool:
Reply 23
£2 a day is extortionate. my car would go 20 miles on that! if its an issue for you, just bring it up - say you didn't want much, but you are doing him a massive favour. whenever i used to give people a lift to college, they'd just like chuck 50p in or something - works better if you have somewhere obvious in your car where you keep change, he might realise other people give you money. i used to have a friend who constantly moaned about how much petrol cost, and how she didn't have any money, used to piss us off so much cos she'd offer to drive everywhere, but lived like 10 miles away, so would expect us to pay her for the journey she had to make to ours to see us... yer anyway. just bring it up. chances are hes not a stingy bastard! and if he doesn't offer you something, stop giving him lifts, no need to be a doormat now! xx
Reply 24
How much time has exactly gone since you have begun to do this?

Some people might not like to pay a set amount of money a week or day, they prefer to give just one big lump sum once in a while to prevent awkwardness.

If its been say 5 months plus then maybe an idea to talk to him.
Anonymous
i disagree - he is obviously having to drive a little out of his way to go and pick the guy up and drop him home. the guy (i think) cant just take/ expect lifts and not offer to repay him - even offering him a drink i would say fair enough.

it doesnt even seem like he goes out with him or anything so why should he feel bad. yeah, i admit that asking for money can be difficult but i think that he wont have a choice, he will have to either give you 2quid a day, or pay 4quid and leave 30mins earlier - i know what i would choose. i wouldnt think that anyone was being mean either - running a car is expensive.

Any need for the use of anonymous?

If you've read my other post, I do think it is rude that he hasn't offered any money but in my first post I was just pointing out something that the OP might not have thought about.
Reply 26
I get a lift into work each day from a coworker. I pay him £2 a day for petrol and other costs.

Seeing as I would pay double that in bus fares, and have a lot of extra costs associated with driving myself, and coupled with the fact that it translates into about what I get paid for 10 minutes work, it's a bargin.

I don't see £2 a day as extortionate.
Reply 27
Yeah, tricky situation, He's blatantly taking advantage of your kind nature.

Make some stuff up this week, say you're really busy after work and you need to go out to (insert place here) and that you'll not be able to give him a lift home. Now, he'll find himself a different method of going from work, it'll just refresh in his memory what he has to do and pay to get home from work.

The next morning or couple of days time you'll have to say this "i don't mean to be rude, but i'd really appreciate it if you could contribute towards some of the petrol money, seeing as i'm saving up for university/college/holiday" - Whatever really.

Another trick could be this, get your mum/dad to take you into work next week, say you can't offer him a lift because of the price of petrol, and because you're saving for uni/college/holiday you can't run it anymore. Obviously you run the car the week after but it’ll get rid of them.

----------------------------------------------------------

Or just say you'd appreciate it if they could pay some money for the ride. :wink:
Reply 28
I drive about with various friends of mine (I'm saving for a gap year and plan to learn to drive AFTER)

I give them money sometimes. Sometimes I don't. Depends what I have etc...

Or say we go for an ice-cream at McDonalds, I get them in or something.

Just gestures to show you dont take them for granted are nice, but don't have to be regular payments.
Reply 29
I used to give a lady that worked with me a lift home from work sometimes. She was a rather large lady and her weight actually resulted in a bit of damage on another co-workers car (Over a while mind) and it never once crossed my mind to ask her for money. Same as I was never offered. Your really not losing any money by taking one extra person to work, but he probably appreciates you loads for doing it. Why cause a bit of tension overa little extra cash, are you really that broke right now?
Reply 30
It would be nice of him to offer, I wouldn't accept it though. What if you suggest going out for a drink and him buying you a pint every now and again...
Reply 31
The fact of the matter is this guy doesnt even know him, he didnt even go to his school or in his circle of friends, He's abusing his kind nature.

I'd never even think of asking a stranger for a lift.
Reply 32
For just £2 a day, you can help people like Trundle give their co-workers a lift to work. Please: Just two pounds a day...

Anyway, I do agree it's a bit rude that he hasn't offered. £2 seems a bit much, but you should certainly be recompensed for being so kind.
Reply 33
I always offer money for petrol if someone makes the effort to take me somewhere. If they refuse I'll buy them a drink or something instead otherwise you're just absolutely taking advantage IMO. Fair enough, you'd be going anyway but that's not the point. You're helping him out and he's taking it for granted.
Reply 34
If you pay for your own petrol then a small donation would be friendly. Or the ocassional thank you gift or something?
Reply 35
I don't drink so I often drive on a friday....
Anyone I give a lift too usually buys me a drink...
you could stop by the petrol station every once in a while and claim that you don't have enough money to pay for it, so he'll pay for it. It should cover the months' contribution to petrol! heheh!
Reply 37
Tw!stEd
I don't drink so I often drive on a friday....
Anyone I give a lift too usually buys me a drink...

but ur driving!!!!!!!!

i think an issue that would be rather annoying would be that he relies on you for the ride. you didnt really know him before so you arnt friends just colleagues. if i was him i wouldnt ask for a lift every time i went to work buecase then it will get into a routine that will be hard to shake. i know a few people who have been through this, they never asked for money nor were they offered any meals or money as return. if he is trying to avoid the £4 by driving with you he hardly wants to pay you. the trouble is until u quit ur job u will have to take him unless u have an argument and dont talk again. It must feel so uggh knowing you have to drive him. what you should do is leave from ur house and drive back to ur house, if he wants a lift he has to come to u and leave urs and walk to his. door to door - ur not a taxi service...stage a fight.....
Reply 38
Easiest way is to make it inconvenient for him. Make sure if you have to do something like go to the shops etc. you do it before you drop him off. Go straight to the gym/pool/cinema/pub every now and then so his house is out of your way. Vary your work leaving time without necessarily giving him much warning - about 10 minutes should do the trick. If he complains then you've got the 'well you don't contribute anything to petrol so why should I alter my plans for you' response. Alternatively, give someone else who you know will offer you money a lift at the same time - maybe he'll be shamed into it when he sees someone else giving you cash.
Reply 39
davey_boy
Easiest way is to make it inconvenient for him. Make sure if you have to do something like go to the shops etc. you do it before you drop him off. Go straight to the gym/pool/cinema/pub every now and then so his house is out of your way. Vary your work leaving time without necessarily giving him much warning - about 10 minutes should do the trick. If he complains then you've got the 'well you don't contribute anything to petrol so why should I alter my plans for you' response. Alternatively, give someone else who you know will offer you money a lift at the same time - maybe he'll be shamed into it when he sees someone else giving you cash.

excellent advice

Latest

Trending

Trending