The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
erm.. you could be sneaky and say something like, "golly the petrol prices are going up, i'm earning less than my weekly petrol bill" and see what he says lol.

then again its whether you're bothered about him giving you petrol money or not.
this use to happen to me... well other way around.. i use to work with my cousin.. and he use to dropp me home few times a week... i can see he didnt want to some times.... so he just tried sneaking out early and avoiding me lol .. maybe you can do the same?
Reply 42
Thanks for the advice everybody :smile:. I think I am just going to leave it. At the end of the day, it's only for another month (as it's a summer job). I would be a bit annoyed if he damaged my car though like somebody was saying a rather large lady did to theirs.
Trundle
Hi,
As the title suggests, this isn't related to relationships, but given that this forum relates mainly to issues where advice is required, I thought it the most appropriate. Basically I started a summer job about 5 weeks or so ago, about 6 or 7 miles from where I live. As it turns out, somebody who lives in the same town as me works there also. He is slightly older than me and therefore I didn't know him from school or anything but vaguely recognised him from around town. When he asked where I live, he asked if he could get a lift to work with me (I have a car and drive). Of course, I said yes. Anyway, as time went on this became a regular occurence and so that whenever both he and I are at work on the same days (maybe 3 or 4 times a week), I take him and bring him home. I know he previously had to pay over £4 a day in bus fares and leave half an hour earlier than what he does when I take him. My Mum is disgusted that he has not offered me any petrol money and thinks I should ask him for about £2 a day. However, I hate asking for money and don't know if I am just being mean. I am all for giving a mate a lift now and again but I admit I do feel a little used; especially given that he has enough money to go out drinking most nights of the week.

Sorry that the post may appear rambling and long winded. What would you do?

ask him for half the petrol... its what normal people do when they share lifts... either you take it in turns driving to work.... or you share petrol.. and as he can't drive... he should share the petrol with you. as you go out of your way to pick him up and have to share your car with someone you dont even know. If it was one of my friends, I wouldnt charge them but i'd rather the car to myself than ferry around some workperson for nothing.
£2 is fair for a door to door journey, with petrol and wear and tear on your car.

i'd ask him
I think the 2 pound thing is slightly unfair. I remember my friend used to charge us all £2 a lift-even when there was 4 in the car. we did it, cos wer nice, but it was really awkward, it was like have u got my 2 pound 2day? urgh i hated that. My best friend drives me everywhere now and i just give her a tenner every now and again when shes least expecting it. Or we'll go out for tea and ill pay. I reckon u shud mention it as its clearly bothering u, but dont ask for regular payments, itll just get awkward and ull wish u never asked. x
Reply 46
I think you should ask, or atleast drop hints. It's not like it's a one off, and every little mounts up. Maybe £2 a day is a bit steep, but the extra weight in the car is costing you more. A friend of mine does it by like, working out how far the distance is and working out how much petrol is needed and dividing it by two or something. just to make it a bit more even. Or why not just be "ill" for a day and see how he likes it. Or set off earlier so he doesnt get a lift. He'll soon get the picture
Reply 47
it may sound strange but maybe he just hasnt thought about it. before i passed my test my friend gave me a lift home from school. i only live a few streets away so it wasnt a great deal more and it was only about 3 weeks but i just never thought about offering. i think its just cos when i give people a lift i never ask people for money or would accept it or even think about the matter at all. (but maybe its cos my parents pay for my petrol so if i paid myself i might notice a bit more)
i feel a bit guilty not offering now but im sure ive paid my dues in lifts.
but its different between friends.
the cup idea is great just make sure u put a little bit money in (but not too much u dont want him to think oh i dont need to give her money shes got loads) so it looks like ur friends have given u it and its not there especially for him
Reply 48
Just say something along the lines of "Damn...the price of petrol is rising. I'm not going to be able to afford driving around much soon!"

I used to have 2 guys in my year who used to live very close to me, and in fact they were both on my way to school. I didn't charge them for cash when I passed my test, although they did offer. The reason why I didn't accept their cash was that I knew both were close to passing their tests, thus we would be able to rotate who was driving and who wasn't...which meant everyone was essentially contributing, but no cash really passed from hand to hand - everyone made it up by driving a bit. If none of them had any interest in driving, then I would have definitely charged them. The odd lift is fine - I'll offer that to my friends willingly, but for long distances I will definitely ask for cash.

Latest

Trending

Trending