The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Whether to re-apply or not.

Hey guys. Please take the time to read this, any response however minimal or elaborate will be hugely appreciated. I'm doing three A levels, applied for uni in 2014 and I have offers for Glasgow, Exeter and Belfast. However I really wanted to go to Edinburgh but I got rejected on the basis of my grades - I got 5 A*s, 5A's and one B at GCSE; three A's at AS level and I've taken on an AS this year so I'll hopefully have three A Levels and an AS by August.

Law with French is the course I'm following. If I were to get A*A*A and an A at AS in August of this year, I've decided I may not go to uni because I'm not fussed on staying in Northern Ireland, I wasn't particularly impressed with Glasgow University and I don't feel like Exeter is for me either.

So if I were to do another two A levels beginning this September, for a year, and re-applied to uni in 2015 - to Edinburgh - am I likely to get accepted despite having sat A levels in two years that weren't consecutive, or indeed will it hinder my application?

I just feel like my choices are limited now. Coming from the North of Ireland, I want a different experience. But something that's very academically challenging. I've heard that Edinburgh are notorious for rejecting people, and if I were to do another year and re-apply in the hope that I would be accepted and I was rejected again, I'm not sure where I'd apply then. I really had it in my head that Edinburgh was for me and am finding it hard to imagine myself anywhere else. I have thought about applying to Oxford next year as well, but the main problem I have here is deciding whether doing another two A levels will hinder my application further.

Also does the University of Edinburgh ever appear in the adjustment section on UCAS, or even clearing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply 1
Very rarely will Edinburgh have to offer courses on clearing, especially not for law. I think the best you can do is contact admissions, they know better than anyone. I was rejected from Edinburgh this year and I know a girl who had superb grades and was still rejected. Competition must have been super tight this year.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
What are your plans now? I did send them e-mail but they've told me there's no re-consideration. I'll ring admissions though and see what their stance is on the extra year. Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by moonwalker
What are your plans now? I did send them e-mail but they've told me there's no re-consideration. I'll ring admissions though and see what their stance is on the extra year. Thanks.

I'm going to Dundee Uni to do English and Scots Law. I suppose in a way it's more beneficial however I did like the look of Edinburgh and the law faculty speaks for itself.
If it's Edinburgh you've set your heart on I'd wait a year and try to get reconsidered next year. You already hold offers from the other unis with the qualifications you have so they're always back ups. Hope it all works out for you either way!
Reply 4
I have to firm and insurance this Wednesday and I don't know what to do. Thanks, same to you!
My advice would be to wait a year and reapply as if you don't really like the other universities you have offers from, then you don't want to feel like you have to go there. You want to be somewhere and study what makes you happy but you may end up liking one of your other options. I reapplied through UCAS, after not getting into any of the course I hoped too (due to rejections from Edinburgh or not meeting conditions at other uni's), while I was spending a year at an American university as part of a link. My school grades didn't meet the requirements stated for my course (they wanted at least 3 A's when I only had 1!), but I still applied to Edinburgh again and was shocked when I received an unconditional offer!

I think a combination of the extra educational experience and grades that showed my ability contributed too this (but that's not officially confirmed!). So in my experience I think the extra grades may help but also be cautious as its not just the grades they look for these days (since everyone has the same ones) so your personal statement has a huge effect on your offer too. However, my course is in a different school so they may have different approaches to this so I would contact the law school and check their opinions to see if it would be worth doing. Hopes this helps!
Reply 6
Hey guys. Please take the time to read this, any response however minimal or elaborate will be hugely appreciated. I'm doing three A levels, applied for uni in 2014 and I have offers for Glasgow, Exeter and Belfast. However I really wanted to go to Edinburgh but I got rejected on the basis of my grades - I got 5 A*s, 5A's and one B at GCSE; three A's at AS level and I've taken on an AS this year so I'll hopefully have three A Levels and an AS by August.

Law with French is the course I'm following. If I were to get A*A*A and an A at AS in August of this year, I've decided I may not go to uni because I'm not fussed on staying in Northern Ireland, I wasn't particularly impressed with Glasgow University and I don't feel like Exeter is for me either.

So if I were to do another two A levels beginning this September, for a year, and re-applied to uni in 2015 - to Edinburgh - am I likely to get accepted despite having sat A levels in two years that weren't consecutive, or indeed will it hinder my application?

I just feel like my choices are limited now. Coming from the North of Ireland, I want a different experience. But something that's very academically challenging. I've heard that Edinburgh are notorious for rejecting people, and if I were to do another year and re-apply in the hope that I would be accepted and I was rejected again, I'm not sure where I'd apply then. I really had it in my head that Edinburgh was for me and am finding it hard to imagine myself anywhere else. I have thought about applying to Oxford next year as well, but the main problem I have here is deciding whether doing another two A levels will hinder my application further.

Also does the University of Edinburgh ever appear in the adjustment section on UCAS, or even clearing?

Hey!
I say reapply. This is mainly because you don't sound passionate about the universities you have offers from. I'm like you, I couldn't dream of going anywhere other than edinburgh m - I luckily got an offer, but if edinburgh is where you want to be get feedback on your application and apply next year.
You can also apply to other universities you actually like (Oxbridge, maybe?) and see how it goes.
Reply 7
Original post by Midnight_94
My advice would be to wait a year and reapply as if you don't really like the other universities you have offers from, then you don't want to feel like you have to go there. You want to be somewhere and study what makes you happy but you may end up liking one of your other options. I reapplied through UCAS, after not getting into any of the course I hoped too (due to rejections from Edinburgh or not meeting conditions at other uni's), while I was spending a year at an American university as part of a link. My school grades didn't meet the requirements stated for my course (they wanted at least 3 A's when I only had 1!), but I still applied to Edinburgh again and was shocked when I received an unconditional offer!

I think a combination of the extra educational experience and grades that showed my ability contributed too this (but that's not officially confirmed!). So in my experience I think the extra grades may help but also be cautious as its not just the grades they look for these days (since everyone has the same ones) so your personal statement has a huge effect on your offer too. However, my course is in a different school so they may have different approaches to this so I would contact the law school and check their opinions to see if it would be worth doing. Hopes this helps!

What's a 'link'? Had you just come out of A Levels?

Hiya, I know a girl who got 13 a* at IGCSE, all as at AS level (7 AS) and estimated all a* in her a2 and she still got rejected (offers from Oxford and LSE etc though)

Really funny that she got rejected, It can't have been her grades as I know people with lesser grades that got a place- I think it's pretty random on whether they like your or not, whether you're Scottish (not sure on this, but I think not being Scottish is a disadvantage) and whether they think you're going to to reject them for 'superior'unis such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL etc...not sure on this either, but it's VERY weird that they would reject her, especially as although a v good uni they aren't the best in terms of prestige I guess.

So I guess it's up to you: I would say that it isn't worth it unless you're applying again next year anyway :smile: I know everyone has said reapply but I think it's very unlikely they will take you so bear that I'm mind.
I don't know about clearing, although I know Durham which I would say is probably better than Edinburgh for 'prestige' was in clearing for economics a couple of years ago/ last year :smile:
Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you know for a fact you were rejected because of your grades or is that just an assumption?
Reply 10
Original post by llamaspoon
Do you know for a fact you were rejected because of your grades or is that just an assumption?

No I e-mailed them, as you can do, to ask for the reasoning behind it and they said it was because of my grades.
What's a 'link'? Had you just come out of A Levels?

The link I went on was a memorial scholarship that allowed me the chance to study at an American university for a year to experience it and build connections. It was just like having a gap year but I was still in education!

I'm a Scottish student so I had done one Higher and 2 Advanced Highers in my final year. We do Standard Grades for two years (which are the equivalent of GSCE's); then normally Highers the year after (so our second last year) that are the main grades that get us into uni; and finally we sit Advanced Highers (in our last year) as a step up from the Higher and equivalent to first year university level classes. I'm not sure exactly how the A-level system works to compare but I believe it is the A-level grades that get you into university so I had already achieved them when I had left. (Sorry if that makes no sense at all - was trying to explain/workout the equivalents between the different systems and nowhere on the internet could give me a definitive answer!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending