The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

None.

Parents only do it to push their children towards moving out anyway, my parents know I will be doing so as soon as I'm able to so there's no point in taxing me, it's just going to make it harder for me to afford my own place.
£350
Used to pay £100 a month when I was 18/19.
Original post by Guy Secretan
Well not jut as soon as you reach 18 but most people would say that it is right to contribute as you are no longer working.

What do you mean no longer working?
Original post by mojojojo101
Your parents get child tax credits until you're 18 to help pay for your keep, for a lot of parents that is a significant amount of money.

I don't pay my mum rent when I am at home, I just give her money of she needs it and I don't. Works out on average about £20 a week but might need to be more this summer as my mum lost her job last month.

True - although those are only available on a means tested basis now. I guess that is a valid explanation though, if they are only charging that amount.
Reply 24
Do people's parents seriously make them pay rent?! I'm taking a gap year next year and obviously have to pay for my car in order to work full time but I'm pretty sure they'd never ask me to pay rent :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not paying rent in my own house full stop. My parents can take me to court and evict me if they like.
£100,000 worth of love per day! No seriously though, they're blessed to have a child like me to give all that care to. They wouldn't dare ask for a penny. The love I emanate is enough for them :tongue:
Reply 27
I hope my parents don't start charging me rent! The only reason I would return to them permanently after uni is if I couldn't find a job!
Some of the attitudes here are shocking...If you're not in education and over 18 (and working) why should you get a free ride?
I don't see why people find it so strange that parents ask for/expect a bit of money from you when you live there as an adult :confused:

My mom said I'll only have to contribute if I'm living at home and working a reasonable amount of hours. Even if I just worked a bit though I'd try to give what I can.
Original post by Architecture-er
None.

Parents only do it to push their children towards moving out anyway, my parents know I will be doing so as soon as I'm able to so there's no point in taxing me, it's just going to make it harder for me to afford my own place.

See in my house it's the opposite. My mum really doesn't want me to move out but I still pay digs.
I pay £30 a week it used to be more but I pay my own phone bill now. But at present I'm not paying as I lent them a lot of money so it's being covered by that. Essentially I paid a lump sum. Annoying as I'm not even working just now.
I don't have a rental agreement with my parents. However, whenever I have money I will pay stuff like gas, water, phone bills etc. I'd feel bad if I just spent money like a prick when my parents work hard to pay for utilties, rent and other priveledges. That, and I'll treat them if I have money just 'cause they never treat themselves.
Original post by Edo123
I am not paying rent in my own house full stop. My parents can take me to court and evict me if they like.

How can they evict you if its your house?
Original post by Kaylaleigh
Some of the attitudes here are shocking...If you're not in education and over 18 (and working) why should you get a free ride?

Because my parents got to live for free with their parents. And my kids will get to live for free with me etc. This arrangement works out fairly for everyone. And it means that when people are younger and have less money, they don't end up having to give away the little they have (and can more easily save up for a deposit on their own place). And when people are older and have more money, they don't need to take money from their kids because they have enough anyway. Everyone spends less time paying rent and more time owning their own place, so everyone's richer as a result. It's mutually beneficial.

Plus, the distinction between "parents' money" and "kids' money" is so blurred that paying money to my parents would be like taking money out of the right coat pocket and putting it in the left one. When my parents die I'm going to inherit back any money I gave them anyway, so it doesn't really seem like there's much point in going through this formality.

If your parents are really poor, can't afford to keep you, would have got some money by keeping a lodger in your room if you weren't staying there, and you have enough money for "rent" to be perfectly affordable, then it's a different story. This would be more of an exceptional case where the parents have less money than their kids. In general, it makes sense for whoever has more money at the time to help out whoever has less.

Or I can understand parents charging their children rent in order to try to teach them something - e.g. if I had a 30 year old child still living with me, with a minimum wage job, and spending all his money on rubbish, then he's got to realise that this arrangement can't last forever, he has to move forward with his life. Maybe telling him he has to pay rent or leave the house would give him a kick up the backside and jump-start his life again. But again, one hopes that would be an unlikely scenario to have to deal with. Even then, I wouldn't be able to spend the money, I'd keep it and give it all back once he'd sorted himself out. Taking money from my children for my own benefit, when they probably need it more than I do, would make me feel extremely guilty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scotttb
How can they evict you if its your house?

Exactly. And thats why they shouldnt insist paying on rent.
Original post by joker12345
True - although those are only available on a means tested basis now. I guess that is a valid explanation though, if they are only charging that amount.

Ah, didn't know they were means tested now. Still I assume most families who will not be getting them anymore aren't exactly going to miss the £20 a week or however much it was (that said you never know with a bunch of of incompetent tories in government).

I would happily pay more in rent though if my mum asked me to, all the stuff my mum does for me would probably cost 10x the amount if I lived alone.

I think it shows a real lack of maturity and respect to think that you can free load of your parents because they are obliged to like you.
40 a week, which is obviously ludicrous for bed and board but I volunteered it.

To be fair me and my sister are registered owners I think now, so I'm paying equivalent of 40 quid mortgage a week which isn't too bad!
(edited 9 years ago)
My parents are the exact opposite lol. Don't charge me to stay. And bought me a property when I want to move out. And if I don't want that, I can always let it out and use the money to stay somewhere else. And I'm not even out of university yet.

Kind of surprised so many parents ask their children to pay rent to live at home. My parents would never want to do that. The extra money I do get/have got from part time jobs usually goes towards paying the maintenance fees, given that the maintenance loan isn't enough to cover costs. And even then, they'd rather they take their money than use my own.
Original post by Guy Secretan
If you are not in university of school how much rent do yoy pay your parents a month?

Well the best thing about being a Pakistani is you never pay your parents anything until they grow old and you have a decent job , you start supporting them in return! :biggrin:

So yeah i dont contribute a single dollar :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
My parents asked me to chip in a nominal amount when I was at home (along the lines of £20/week?) on principle, but I've moved out since.

Latest

Trending

Trending