The Student Room Group

Lump in penis - on the underside

Hi all

There seems to be an internal lump in the underside (ventral side) of the penis directly in the centre of the glans of the penis.

It is around 1cm from the end. Circumcised, so suppose more likely to gain damage around such areas?

The 'lump' causes the flow of urine to be a different shape - partially blocking the urethra on the underside. However, able to function normally with both urinary and sexual respects.

Just slightly worrying having a lump, as it seems to have gotten marginally bigger over the years, though I'm not sure about this - as have had it for around 5 years it would seem. I'm 22 years of age.

Thanks
I would go to a doctor TBH, sounds a bit too ambiguous/specific for help without examination.
Reply 2
Original post by MedicineMann
I would go to a doctor TBH, sounds a bit too ambiguous/specific for help without examination.

That's the thing. I don't feel comfortable with the doctor - or more specifically my doctor looking at my penis. I have had it looked at before, and I don't want to unless I have to.

I have the time to be proactive about it and research currently. I was hoping that someone would elucidate the possibilities of what a lump in the end of the penis could be. It seems rather peculiar... though penis cancer is extremely rare, and so I'm assuming such a lump wouldn't be life threatening... I read that such lumps in the area can be removed through surgery, albeit possibly causing neural damage.
Reply 3

That's the thing. I don't feel comfortable with the doctor - or more specifically my doctor looking at my penis. I have had it looked at before, and I don't want to unless I have to.

I have the time to be proactive about it and research currently. I was hoping that someone would elucidate the possibilities of what a lump in the end of the penis could be. It seems rather peculiar... though penis cancer is extremely rare, and so I'm assuming such a lump wouldn't be life threatening... I read that such lumps in the area can be removed through surgery, albeit possibly causing neural damage.

EDIT: prev check was for hip numbness
To be honest, if you've had it that long its unlikely to be anything serious, but if you want to really put any worried to bed the only thing you can do is see someone about it. Would you be more comfortable getting it looked at in a sexual health clinic as it won't be a doctor you're familiar with and they deal with this kind of thing every day.
Reply 5
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
To be honest, if you've had it that long its unlikely to be anything serious, but if you want to really put any worried to bed the only thing you can do is see someone about it. Would you be more comfortable getting it looked at in a sexual health clinic as it won't be a doctor you're familiar with and they deal with this kind of thing every day.

Yeah that's true; had it so long - main thing is I keep an eye on it. As first I thought it was a 'stricture', but I think it something akin in the way of damage which has then formed a mass of tissue... or maybe a damaged internal structure - though I can't find any information on small structures in the area.

I may, at some point if it effects me, go to the sexual health clinic. Thanks for your help.
Reply 6
If the lump has been there since you started the thread in 1970, then I would say get it checked. Its for the best.
Original post by Anonymous

Get comfortable with it, if there's no answer for this go to the doctor. Even if you're uncomfortable, would you rather be dead and/or spreading STIs all over the place, or nice and healthy and reassured?
Original post by Twinport53
If the lump has been there since you started the thread in 1970

This is an interesting TSR 'feature' - the time stamp on anonymous messages is not always set correctly. This is 'day zero' for *ix-based systems like Linux and OS X.
Original post by Anonymous

Completely fair enough - but I would still strongly urge you to go and get it checked out. It would be dreadful to find out you needed an operation just to avoid a bit of embarrassment. A lot of cancers/general problems in this area go undiagnosed because of people's reluctance to strip off in front of a doctor. This is a particular problem with young men. You really don't want to be one of those statistics.

I would say, the more you go to the GP for this kind of thing the easier it gets. A few years ago I thought I might have testicular cancer. Happily I didn't but it did require a fair bit of investigation to verify and several referrals. The amount of people who ended up seeing and indeed handling my willy was fairly epic. At first this was quietly mortifying but by the end of the process I was genuinely comfortable with it. After all, they really are very professional about it and create an atmosphere that is completely devoid of sensationalism.
Reply 10
Original post by unprinted
This is an interesting TSR 'feature' - the time stamp on anonymous messages is not always set correctly. This is 'day zero' for *ix-based systems like Linux and OS X.

Nice too know :tongue:

But seriously, get it looked at.
Original post by Twinport53
If the lump has been there since you started the thread in 1970, then I would say get it checked. Its for the best.

Hahaha, didn't see that. I would be worried too... not being born and all.

Original post by Pardon Me... >:)
Get comfortable with it, if there's no answer for this go to the doctor. Even if you're uncomfortable, would you rather be dead and/or spreading STIs all over the place, or nice and healthy and reassured?

I'm fairly sure its not an STI, no worries on that front :P. It's a small lump - the only thing that could kill me is cancer metastasis of such a lump, though that's very unlikely. But I agree, as a 'medical person', I should probably be more comfortable with it - will see a sexual health clinic perhaps.

Original post by Lotus_Eater
Completely fair enough - but I would still strongly urge you to go and get it checked out. It would be dreadful to find out you needed an operation just to avoid a bit of embarrassment. A lot of cancers/general problems in this area go undiagnosed because of people's reluctance to strip off in front of a doctor. This is a particular problem with young men. You really don't want to be one of those statistics.

I would say, the more you go to the GP for this kind of thing the easier it gets. A few years ago I thought I might have testicular cancer. Happily I didn't but it did require a fair bit of investigation to verify and several referrals. The amount of people who ended up seeing and indeed handling my willy was fairly epic. At first this was quietly mortifying but by the end of the process I was genuinely comfortable with it. After all, they really are very professional about it and create an atmosphere that is completely devoid of sensationalism.

That's very true! Will get it checked out at some point. Thanks for the personal story - made me feel not so bad :smile: haha. Though, I feel fairly certain its something like scar tissue - read its quite common in that area in those that are circumcised. Being young, I would be quite peeved if something like that was to be life threatening.
If it makes you feel any better I got examined there the last time I saw a doctor, I just avoided eye contact and it was over quickly.
If it makes you feel any better I got examined there the last time I saw a doctor, I just avoided eye contact and it was over quickly.

I'm so very tempted to not go to the doctors though... It's most likely nothing, just an annoyance. Wait it out till ultrasound technology is more affordable? :P

500 cases of penile cancer every year in the UK... at 22, I would have to be... fairly unlucky.

I haven't had any of the symptoms either:

"A growth or sore on the penis that doesn’t heal within 4 weeks - it can look like a wart, ulcer or blister and is not always painful
Bleeding from the penis or from under the foreskin
A foul smelling discharge
Difficulty in drawing back the foreskin (phimosis)
A rash on the penis
A change in the colour of the penis or foreskin"
Lumps are probably worth getting checked out though, no one can give you better advice than your doctor and if it were me I would rather know it was nothing than risk it becoming a real problem.

Quick Reply

Latest