The Student Room Group

The next three world cups (2014, 2018, 2022)- should they be held where they are?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
True, but the bids don't work like that.

The requirements are something like, 3 stadiums with 60k+, 4 with 40-50k and 4 with 30-40k.

Yeah and Cardiff's is only 28k
Surely England must be due to get one before long.

Next time they want to go with a European country who else could it be that hasn't had one in the past 30-40 years?
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Next time they want to go with a European country who else could it be that hasn't had one in the past 30-40 years?

Just Spain really (they have never hosted one). Not sure if the Netherlands could host one, they co hosted the Euros with Belgium in 2000.

The earliest we can bid again is 2030.
1. Vatican City
2. Guantanamo Bay
3. Principality of Sealand

Splendid suggestions, don't you think?

Spain will get one before England does. They nearly got 2018 by trying to cohost with Portugal.
Just Spain really (they have never hosted one). Not sure if the Netherlands could host one, they co hosted the Euros with Belgium in 2000.

The earliest we can bid again is 2030.

Didn't Spain host one in the 80s?

The Netherlands and Belgium submitted a joint bid for 2018 and I'd be amazed if they were to ever attempt to host a World Cup separately.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Didn't Spain host one in the 80s?

****ing hell they did. Well then they shouldn't get one before us really. Just the Netherlands but...

The Netherlands and Belgium submitted a joint bid for 2018 and I'd be amazed if they were to ever attempt to host a World Cup separately.

Agree.
I remember in about 2008/09 when there were concerns about South Africa's ability to deliver the World Cup reading that FIFA usually has two countries on 'emergency stand by' if a country can't deliver it: England and Germany, as these are countries assumed to be able to host a world cup at short notice, so because 2006 had been in Germany, 2010 would have gone to England had FIFA officials decided South Africa couldn't deliver. So maybe with things going to developing countries that's England's best chance, especially as Germany had one recently.

Who knows maybe we will yet host 2022 instead of Qatar.
****ing hell they did.

Yeah World Cup '82 was in Spain....that was during the Falklands War as well. When they release those secret government files after 30 years it revealed that Mrs Thatcher and several prominent politicians tried to pull England out as it was worried that it would cause problems for our players/fans as the Spanish and all the south american countries in there were angry at Britain.

Nothing really bad happened but there was bad feeling still in Mexico '86 especially when we played Argentina.
Original post by apolocreed
I was watching 'Have I got News For You' yesterday and a person on the show said she was going to boycott the current World Cup due to the human rights abuses of Qatar, the 2022 winner...

What surprised me was her failure to mention the fact that Brazil has a pretty horrid track record when it comes to human rights, and not only that but it has spent a gargantuan amount of money on a football competition that many citizens do not want, wishing for the money to be spent on more targeted matters.

She also glossed over Russia...which isn't a beacon of equality of human rights.

I'm hoping for a discussion on what people think of Fifa's decision to award the next three world cups to the countries it has.

Also, why do people constantly attack Qatar over holding the world cup? Yes, I understand the issues about bribery and humans rights abuses, things that are the norm in Russia. However I fail to see any stories concerning the fact that Russia is holding it.

Finally, has anyone come across, or know of any incidents where other countries have been caught, or or thought to have bribed officials in a bid to win the World Cup?

You do realise the last U-21 Europea Championship was held in Israel don't you? I mean if human rights is an issue people should have shouted louder when that was taking place.
The difference between Qatar and the others for me is the fact that it's unworkable. If the competition can't be held on the dates set for it in June/July it shouldn't be there. Simple as that. It inconveniences too many leagues.

Russia did a great job of hosting the biggest game in world club football in 2008, there's no reason that a decade later they can't give the world cup final the same treatment. I think the Russians will do a good job as hosts.

Brazil will be a great world cup. The whole aura of the country and it's passion for the game sells itself. Some of the worlds most glamorous countries have their dark sides, it shouldn't rule them out of hosting a major tournament. The money it brings in can benefit the economy and raise the mood of the people. Football is a healer.
As lamentable as it is, human rights and construction casualties aren't taken into account when considering hosts for major sporting events. In 2008 the Olympic Games were held in an autocratic country. This year the Winter Olympics were held in a country that had recently passed a law contradicting the Olympic Charter. This isn't Fifa, an organisation we now all know to be rotten, but the IOC.

Governing bodies will stretch and stretch in their ignorance of human atrocities until something that affects them directly happens. It's just a pity that it hasn't come to that already now that Fifa have effectively sanctioned the death of hundreds of workers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride
As lamentable as it is, human rights and construction casualties aren't taken into account when considering hosts for major sporting events. In 2008 the Olympic Games were held in an autocratic country. This year the Winter Olympics were held in a country that had recently passed a law contradicting the Olympic Charter. This isn't Fifa, an organisation we now all know to be rotten, but the IOC.

Governing bodies will stretch and stretch in their ignorance of human atrocities until something that affects them directly happens. It's just a pity that it hasn't come to that already now that Fifa have effectively sanctioned the death of hundreds of workers.

I don't think that the awarding of the Olympics or the World Cup should be used to make a political point. They should simply go to the best available bidder. In the case of Qatar this is not true which is why it annoys me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
I don't think that the awarding of the Olympics or the World Cup should be used to make a political point. They should simply go to the best available bidder. In the case of Qatar this is not true which is why it annoys me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, Qatar deserved the 2022 WC on this basis. Let's discount the Japan. Korea and US bid because they all recently had it and it's simply selfishness and greed for them to bid for it.

That leaves Qatar and Australia. The Australian bid was a joke for all intent and purposes. So leaves Qatar by default which was a good bid and something different than what we've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
I remember in about 2008/09 when there were concerns about South Africa's ability to deliver the World Cup reading that FIFA usually has two countries on 'emergency stand by' if a country can't deliver it: England and Germany, as these are countries assumed to be able to host a world cup at short notice, so because 2006 had been in Germany, 2010 would have gone to England had FIFA officials decided South Africa couldn't deliver. So maybe with things going to developing countries that's England's best chance, especially as Germany had one recently.

Who knows maybe we will yet host 2022 instead of Qatar.

The media alway claim the host won't be ready especially if it's in '3rd world country'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
Tbh, Qatar deserved the 2022 WC on this basis. Let's discount the Japan. Korea and US bid because they all recently had it and it's simply selfishness and greed for them to bid for it.

That leaves Qatar and Australia. The Australian bid was a joke for all intent and purposes. So leaves Qatar by default which was a good bid and something different than what we've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:troll:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36

solid
Reply 37
Original post by 419
solid

brother is that you
Reply 38
Here's what should have happened:

2014 - Uruguay/Argentina (they are set to place a joint bid for World Cup 2026, I think)
2018 - England
2022 - USA
I have no complaints about Brazil getting it, Only that they've failed majorly to be ready in time so it should have been revoked and given to another country with infrastructure already in place.

Russia, It was obviously paid for in bungs and bribes, England were never going to be awarded a world cup with Blatter & Platini in charge.

But they are a big nation that's never had the chance to host a world cup so good luck to them.

Qatar is the problem. A nation smaller than Wales and that has no domestic football league system. Its an absolute joke.

Australia lost out to them, Absolute joke. Blatter said he wanted to award hosting world cups to nations who have not done so before, Yet chose Qatar over Australia.

Its disgusting, Does it really take an investigation into the voting system for people to know that this was all done via bribes and bungs. Countries should boycott this tournament. Send Faroe Islands, Luxembourg & San Marino to this World Cup instead.

The Englands, Spain, Italys etc should just miss out on qualifying and host a 'friendly' tournament instead at the same time away from Fifa.

Quick Reply

Latest