The Student Room Group

6 A* to get into Oxbridge?

If i get 6* at gcse and the rest A's, is it enough for me to have a chance to get into Oxbridge? (while considering me getting the required A levels or higher)
What do you think the answer to that question is?
Yeah. Even 3 A* would leave you with a chance, as long as they're in relevant subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by ThatPerson
What do you think the answer to that question is?

I was not sure because I heard you need like 10 A* or all A*'s to get in. I could of got that, I was just lazy but that will defo change for college! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaNick
I'd say as long as you get A*s in your desired A-level subjects and As/Bs in the rest it should be fine. A-levels count a lot more obviously.

But what for example you got A* in maths for gcse but an A in physics for gcse- not an A*. However at A level, I get A* in both which lets me be eligible to go to Cambridge (plus another A of some sought) The GCSE would not stop me from allowing me to have a chance to get in right?
Reply 5
Original post by StarvingAutist
Yeah. Even 3 A* would leave you with a chance, as long as they're in relevant subjects.

What happens if they are A's but other subjects are A*s?
Original post by Sam54321

Well, I don't think Cambridge are too fussed about GCSEs anyway; they care more about your UMS in your AS levels.
If you're going for physics with an A in physics and an A* in maths, that should be fine.
Someone from my school got in with 1 A*, so i'm sure it's possible for you to get in :smile:
How many A* would you need at GCSE to get in for medicine at Oxbridge Universities?
Reply 9
I remember watching a recruitment advertisement made by a collection of Universities and they all equally stated: GCSEs are used to determine ones ability to work across a wide range of disciplines, but they're nowhere near as important as A-levels.
I was not sure because I heard you need like 10 A* or all A*'s to get in. I could of got that, I was just lazy but that will defo change for college! :smile:

It's true that a lot of applicants will have a high amount of A* grades at GCSE, however, with the exception of Medicine, Cambridge have no formal GCSE requirements - there is no minimum number of A*'s ,etc.

The most important piece of data for a Cambridge applicant is average AS UMS - the average applicant has ~93 UMS at AS.
if u don't have 934 A*, why r u even trying to go to university? :badger::badger::badger::badger::bl:
But what for example you got A* in maths for gcse but an A in physics for gcse- not an A*. However at A level, I get A* in both which lets me be eligible to go to Cambridge (plus another A of some sought) The GCSE would not stop me from allowing me to have a chance to get in right?

Spelling the word "sort" correctly may assist any application to Cambridge.
Reply 13

Hey I think A's are just as good to get you in as most universities want A OR A*. And I could be wrong but I remember reading on the Oxford website that they wanted A*'s and A's so clearly A's are great. So if get 6 A*'s and the rest A's your in a comfortable position to get into Oxford. I know a girl who got 6 A*'s and went to Cambridge so you should be fine. Remember to work REALLY hard at your a levels because its a levels that are the main decider.

Hope you get the grades you need! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest