The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AROY09
I think this chat has gone totally off topic now

True :tongue: But really, how long could we spend talking about results day? We've still got another 2 months or so xD so far away D:
Reply 181
Original post by thechemistress
Screw the patients xD I don't even want to be a doctor, I've just been forced into looking into it by my mother who is a medicine fanatic. Apparently as I'm 'so clever', I should be a doctor.
So no, I don't feel the need to work on my bedside manner :wink:

Lol. I feel you. Im asian, sometimes the stereotypes are true. My parents are desperate for me to go into either medicine or engineering
Original post by AROY09
Lol. I feel you. Im asian, sometimes the stereotypes are true. My parents are desperate for me to go into either medicine or engineering

Haha, exactly :tongue: To them, no other professions exist. It's either medicine, engineering (occasionally law) or unemployment and begging on the streets :tongue:
Reply 183
Original post by Angelo12231
We understand GCSE are not everything... we are just saying it gives you a head start. Think of a bad and good applicant in this way as i said before :wink: why have a Ford car when you can have a BMW? they both do the same job only one is more impressive than the other

Chem... we have said all we needed to... its in his/her hands now

Okay basically I want you to stop saying this rubbish because it makes possible future medics lose confidence in themselves, some unis want GCSEs and place a high value on good ones. Most do not once you have achieved the minimum it is fair game. Medical school admissions tutors consistently say that they look for qualities that make a good doctor, so you can't just be academically gifted to be a doctor you need the whole package, and once you have got above a certain grade they count for almost nothing. Why do you think that when people talk about interviews the unis never bring up their grades, its because the applicant has already go the necessary grades now the admissions tutors are assessing the qualities of the person to see if they are fit to be a doctor.
Original post by Arithmeticae
Why is results day always on a Thursday? :holmes:

GCSEs are alway the third Thursday of August
I'm really nervous!!
I'm hoping I've managed to scrape;
English lit: A*
Additional Science: B
- Biology Paper: A
- Chemistry Paper: A*
- Physics paper: C ( completely failed)
Maths: B ideally (both papers went terribly)
Product Design: A
Health and Social Care: A*
Religious Studies: A

This will join the qualifications I got last year;
-Level 2 Sports leader qualification: D*
-ASDAN employability: Pass
-ASDAN PSD: Pass
-Foundation Maths: C
- English Language: C
- Media studies: B
- Core Science: A
- Geography: B

I'm really hoping all my hard work this year has paid off!!!
Original post by slg60
x

Look, to end this, why don't you just Google it? If you can find a source that clearly says 'once candidates have met the minimum entry requirements, we no longer give a ****' then we will have been proven incorrect.

Plus the thread is being majorly diverted
Original post by slg60
Okay basically I want you to stop saying this rubbish because it makes possible future medics lose confidence in themselves, some unis want GCSEs and place a high value on good ones. Most do not once you have achieved the minimum it is fair game. Medical school admissions tutors consistently say that they look for qualities that make a good doctor, so you can't just be academically gifted to be a doctor you need the whole package, and once you have got above a certain grade they count for almost nothing. Why do you think that when people talk about interviews the unis never bring up their grades, its because the applicant has already go the necessary grades now the admissions tutors are assessing the qualities of the person to see if they are fit to be a doctor.

Do you think you will have the whole package with Bs at GCSE if everyone is literally beating you? Btw, interviews happen AFTER grades have been looked at... its more likely that you got one of the 300 interviews from about 2,000 applicants because you showed academic excellence as well as commitment... im sorry but if you get B's, it doesn't show any drive for the best, to be the best, to be a doctor
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 188
Original post by thechemistress
Haha, exactly :tongue: To them, no other professions exist. It's either medicine, engineering (occasionally law) or unemployment and begging on the streets :tongue:

Haha. Luckly I have my bro to help me get a different career as he went into business. Parents arent too happy but screw it. Only started a year ago and is earning quite a lot and most of all he likes what he does
Reply 189
Original post by amelimoo
I'm really nervous!!
I'm hoping I've managed to scrape;
English lit: A*
Additional Science: B
- Biology Paper: A
- Chemistry Paper: A*
- Physics paper: C ( completely failed)
Maths: B ideally (both papers went terribly)
Product Design: A
Health and Social Care: A*
Religious Studies: A

This will join the qualifications I got last year;
-Level 2 Sports leader qualification: D*
-ASDAN employability: Pass
-ASDAN PSD: Pass
-Foundation Maths: C
- English Language: C
- Media studies: B
- Core Science: A
- Geography: B

I'm really hoping all my hard work this year has paid off!!!

Do you study in the England? we do all of our GCSEs over the two years and then get the results on the same day. :smile:
Reply 190
Do you think you will have the whole package with Bs at GCSE if everyone is literally beating you? Btw, interviews happen AFTER grades have been looked at... its more likely that you got one of the 300 interviews from about 2,000 applicants because you showed academic excellence as well as commitment... im sorry but if you get B's, it doesn't show any drive for the best, to be the best, to be a doctor

Well to be honest the proof is in the pudding isn't it? Its rare, I grant you that, but there are people with grades that you deem to be "terrible". They manage to get offers and places at medical schools don't they, it is far far far far far more important to do well on your AS than your GCSEs
Reply 191
Original post by AROY09
Haha. Luckly I have my bro to help me get a different career as he went into business. Parents arent too happy but screw it. Only started a year ago and is earning quite a lot and most of all he likes what he does

Well that is the most important thing! xD
Original post by slg60
Well to be honest the proof is in the pudding isn't it? Its rare, I grant you that, but there are people with grades that you deem to be "terrible". They manage to get offers and places at medical schools don't they, it is far far far far far more important to do well on your AS than your GCSEs

It is true :smile: i dont see Bs as terrible at all. It just gives you an advantage if you do well in your GCSE... that extra push. By all means, get into medicine with Bs :3 but trust me, it will be hard. Btw are you applying? what grade are you hoping for anyway?
I am sooooo scared :frown: i think i will go somewhere on my own and open them, because i think i will break down when i finally have that reality staring at me in the face! Anyone else here feel embarrassed to get bad grades? I will feel so embarrassed in front of my teachers and classmates if i get low grades, i have such an insecurity about getting low grades. I feel like i complete nothing if i get bad grades. I don't know how some people just brush it off and live their whole lives like that.
Also, i hope a load of idiots that i'm not even close to don't start coming up to me and asking me what i got, because if i've done bad, i feel like i'm just going to judged and it's just annoying to have everyone in ur business at a time like that.
Original post by slg60
Do you study in the England? we do all of our GCSEs over the two years and then get the results on the same day. :smile:

Yeah I live and study in England and I know I did them last year, some were taken early and others were short courses. But I put in a lot of effort this year to boost my grades in all the subjects I carried on/ took in year 11.
Reply 195
It is true :smile: i dont see Bs as terrible at all. It just gives you an advantage if you do well in your GCSE... that extra push. By all means, get into medicine with Bs :3 but trust me, it will be hard

BAM that is all I wanted, I didn't want to be called an idiot, I simply wanted you to acknowledge that it is possible to become a medic without having these superb GCSEs which you are all parading, killing the self esteem of may hopeful medics. Of course it is going to take much more effort but that is just a test to see if you really want it:biggrin:
Reply 196
You think you got problems as an asian if I get a c grade in anything my parents would be like 'lets c how you get dinner tonight'

@AStudent321

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by amelimoo
Yeah I live and study in England and I know I did them last year, some were taken early and others were short courses. But I put in a lot of effort this year to boost my grades in all the subjects I carried on/ took in year 11.

Well i hope you did well! xD
Reply 198
Original post by AROY09
You think you got problems as an asian if I get a c grade in anything my parents would be like 'lets c how you get dinner tonight'

@AStudent321

Posted from TSR Mobile

AHAHA i feel sorry for you but that is hilarious :wink:
Original post by slg60
BAM that is all I wanted, I didn't want to be called an idiot, I simply wanted you to acknowledge that it is possible to become a medic without having these superb GCSEs which you are all parading, killing the self esteem of may hopeful medics. Of course it is going to take much more effort but that is just a test to see if you really want it:biggrin:

We didn't say impossible, just very unlikely. Btw, noob and idiot are different :biggrin:

Latest