The Student Room Group

How long until England get screwed over by the referee?

Let's not lie, the referees in Fifa have a vendetta against England. A total and absolute vendetta, we are pretty much the most hated team in the world. Campbell's disallowed goal vs Argentina, Lampard's disallowed goal vs Germany, etc etc. A whole history of very **** decisions. I have no doubt that the talent of the England team has never been the problem.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well so far they seem pretty incompetent, so I call it in the Uruguay game at the latest.
Reply 2
Let's be honest England seem to somehow piss most of the world off. It's only a matter of time...
Beckham's penalty against Argentina which Owen dived to win.
Original post by C.Almasy
Let's not lie, the referees in Fifa have a vendetta against England. A total and absolute vendetta, we are pretty much the most hated team in the world. Campbell's disallowed goal vs Argentina, Lampard's disallowed goal vs Germany, etc etc. A whole history of very **** decisions. I have no doubt that the talent of the England team has never been the problem.

How about Maradona's handball?

Looking at the decisions made so far - in just 1 and a bit games - I'd say probably tommorow
Reply 5
Given that a decisive penalty was wrongly given in the first game and now Mexico have had not one but two goals falsely ruled out for 'offside' by half time, I expect nothing less than a tournament marred by refereering blunders.
Reply 6
Original post by BigBadJFly
How about Maradona's handball?

Looking at the decisions made so far - in just 1 and a bit games - I'd say probably tommorow

Yeah, how could i forget the hand of God lol.

Was watching the first half of the Mexico vs Cameroon game. We are in for a tough time with referees. In terms of thinking about this logically, our team is good enough to go far. Brazil weren't all that at all, we have it in us to really go far in this tournament. But, it will be the refereeing decisions that deflate the team, it always has been. We have a young team too and when these big big decisions go against you, well, you start losing your mind whereas the opponent will pick up momentum. These decisions change games.

On paper and from watching the other big teams, we are not that bad a team at all.
The penalty last night was correctly given. The offsides today have both been wrong, but close enough that you can understand why it wasn't spotted properly.

As far as England goes, who cares which referee they get. They're not good enough to beat any of the top teams with the referee or without him.
Original post by IanDangerously
The penalty last night was correctly given. The offsides today have both been wrong, but close enough that you can understand why it wasn't spotted properly.

As far as England goes, who cares which referee they get. They're not good enough to beat any of the top teams with the referee or without him.

Thank you.

Please don't hype up England, you'll only have your dreams crushed.
:rofl: Victim mentality. And btw, Campbells goal was debatable, and in the Euro Champs so not governed by FIFA. :facepalm2:
Reply 10
Original post by IanDangerously

You forget the red card Neymar should have got for his attack on Modric. That could have literally killed the man. His eyes were on him, he knew what he was doing.

You also forget the foul leading up to Oscar's goal, it was a blatant foul.
Reply 11
29 hours for England.....
You forget the red card Neymar should have got for his attack on Modric. That could have literally killed the man. His eyes were on him, he knew what he was doing.

You also forget the foul leading up to Oscar's goal, it was a blatant foul.

And Croatias goal was incorrectly disallowed
Reply 13
England are an average team who is massively overhyped by the English media. It don't matter if referee decisions go England's way or not, they are not coming close to winning the World Cup and that is a fact.
Handily forgetting the very large slice of benefit of the doubt we got before winning our only piece of silverware.

Our third goal in the '66 Final was controversial to say the least.. But it went in our favour.
Reply 15
Original post by manchesterunited15

Actually think that may have been a correct call, apparently you can't lunge into the GK in the box ... according to the commentator's understanding of the Fifa rules.

The Campbell disallowed "goal" is the most misreported ref's decision in history. Shearer was up to his usual trick of elbowing a defender off the ball. He always was a dirty player and that was typical of him. The ref was quite right.
Original post by manchesterunited15

No it wasn't. You can no longer lean on the goalie in the six yard box.
Yeah, how could i forget the hand of God lol.

Was watching the first half of the Mexico vs Cameroon game. We are in for a tough time with referees. In terms of thinking about this logically, our team is good enough to go far. Brazil weren't all that at all, we have it in us to really go far in this tournament. But, it will be the refereeing decisions that deflate the team, it always has been. We have a young team too and when these big big decisions go against you, well, you start losing your mind whereas the opponent will pick up momentum. These decisions change games.

On paper and from watching the other big teams, we are not that bad a team at all.

Playing Brazil say doesn't look much tougher than playing Chelsea lol.
Original post by Old_Simon
No it wasn't. You can no longer lean on the goalie in the six yard box.

You also can't pull shirts but everyone does it. Touching the keeper shouldn't be an automatic foul it's ridiculous, it wasn't leaning they both jumped and happened to touch

Quick Reply

Latest