The Student Room Group

Graduate Recruitment and Grad Schemes

After a number of years out of university, and some experience both with graduate schemes and experienced hire recruitment (and some experience from the other side with hiring junior talent), I've put together an article with some thoughts on grad schemes and the dangers associated with them. Take a look and leave a comment with your thoughts!
Reply 1
Sorry, but you appear to have written a long article to state the obvious - graduate schemes are not the only entry route for graduates. Who was under the impression that they are?
Reply 2
To be honest I think the biggest issue is grads not knowing what they want to do. Grad schemes give more specific options (although can be quite variable) but are so widely advertised. Unless you know exactly what you want to do you're less likely to hunt out a specific role which doesn't have the word 'grad' in the title. IMO, anyway!
Reply 3
Original post by MelesMeles
After a number of years out of university, and some experience both with graduate schemes and experienced hire recruitment (and some experience from the other side with hiring junior talent), I've put together an article with some thoughts on grad schemes and the dangers associated with them. Take a look and leave a comment with your thoughts!

*slow hand clap*

You haven't said anything about the dangers with taking a grad scheme role.
I thought it was an interesting article. Particularly the part about the long commitment required by graduate schemes - for me the frequent requirement to be willing to relocate to whatever city they place you in was a massive turn-off. I was already relatively old (24) when I graduated, had lived in digs and house-shares and moved between different towns and cities for four years by that point and to be honest just wanted to settle down with my boyfriend in a proper flat in the city where my friends and family live and get stuck into a job. Whilst the extra training opportunities and even free qualifications offered by some grad schemes are good benefits, to be honest I was also sick of studying and being seen as the 'student' or 'trainee' in whatever organisation I went into. Having gone down the experienced hire route I'm now settled down close to my family and friends (where the geographical constraints of grad schemes are particularly felt) and on the second rung of the ladder in my sector. I'm not CEO yet (nor do I expect to be!) but I'm starting to feel established in my career and for me it's been the right choice.

That's not to say that grad schemes are automatically a bad thing - for others who have more geographical freedom or indeed want to try out a new city/cities, or are willing to sacrifice geographical stability and undertake a few more years studying/training for the chance to progress faster or get into a particularly exclusive sector (investment, consultancy, etc), they are great options. But if the ultimate point of your article was that they aren't the only route, then I really do agree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by moutonfou
for me the frequent requirement to be willing to relocate to whatever city they place you in was a massive turn-off. I was already relatively old (24) when I graduated, had lived in digs and house-shares and moved between different towns and cities for four years by that point and to be honest just wanted to settle down with my boyfriend in a proper flat in the city where my friends and family live and get stuck into a job.

I don't have geographical freedom, or won't, should I say. I live in a home county and am staying with my Mum to save up for a house deposit. I have two dogs, as well. I wasn't overly prepared to move out of home for grad schemes, I got two offers, both of which meant I could commute into London from home. The one I've taken is a 40 min drive, they were quite willing to be flexible. A lot of grad schemes do have fixed locations ie. head office also. I was worried re potentially struggling geographically but I really didn't, surprisingly.
I thought it was an interesting article. Particularly the part about the long commitment required by graduate schemes - for me the frequent requirement to be willing to relocate to whatever city they place you in was a massive turn-off. I was already relatively old (24) when I graduated, had lived in digs and house-shares and moved between different towns and cities for four years by that point and to be honest just wanted to settle down with my boyfriend in a proper flat in the city where my friends and family live and get stuck into a job. Whilst the extra training opportunities and even free qualifications offered by some grad schemes are good benefits, to be honest I was also sick of studying and being seen as the 'student' or 'trainee' in whatever organisation I went into. Having gone down the experienced hire route I'm now settled down close to my family and friends (where the geographical constraints of grad schemes are particularly felt) and on the second rung of the ladder in my sector. I'm not CEO yet (nor do I expect to be!) but I'm starting to feel established in my career and for me it's been the right choice.

That's not to say that grad schemes are automatically a bad thing - for others who have more geographical freedom or indeed want to try out a new city/cities, or are willing to sacrifice geographical stability and undertake a few more years studying/training for the chance to progress faster or get into a particularly exclusive sector (investment, consultancy, etc), they are great options. But if the ultimate point of your article was that they aren't the only route, then I really do agree.

I totally agree! I was very surprised by how many grad schemes actually require you to be geographically flexible, it seems like doing one of these schemes almost becomes a lifestyle and not just a job if you get what I mean, it's put me off a lot too because I just don't see myself moving away from family/friends for a job/career and I live in a big city too and thought there'd be much more grad schemes available here but it seems like a lot of them are concentrated in London. But anyway, well done on getting into your career and establishing yourself, it's refreshing to hear about others who didn't go down the typical graduate scheme route, well done and I wish you the very best of luck! :smile:

Original post by Tinsley
I don't have geographical freedom, or won't, should I say. I live in a home county and am staying with my Mum to save up for a house deposit. I have two dogs, as well. I wasn't overly prepared to move out of home for grad schemes, I got two offers, both of which meant I could commute into London from home. The one I've taken is a 40 min drive, they were quite willing to be flexible. A lot of grad schemes do have fixed locations ie. head office also. I was worried re potentially struggling geographically but I really didn't, surprisingly.

It's great to hear that it's worked out for you (well done for the 2 offers- very impressive!) but like I mentioned above, lots of grad schemes have offices/are based in London and then have offices spread out, so I guess it depends whether you live near to any or not. :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Fortitude
I totally agree! I was very surprised by how many grad schemes actually require you to be geographically flexible,

Funnily enough they expect you to work in one of their offices...

And for a management trainee scheme that would mean one of their head offices.

Whys that so surprising?

Microsoft and Tesco are hardly going to relocate from Reading and Welyn Garden City to Dudley or wherever you are...
Original post by Quady

Whys that so surprising?

Microsoft and Tesco are hardly going to relocate from Reading and Welyn Garden City to Dudley or wherever you are...

Yes, I know that :tongue: I was surprised that they didn't have more offices/locations/options if that makes sense? :smile:
Original post by Quady

Whys that so surprising?

True for grad schemes which only have one single head office/training location - but there are many grad schemes that expect you to live in two or more places over the course of your training (Civil Service for example which require you to relocate at least once), or which only place you in one location but insist you have to go wherever you're placed, even if there is another location closer to you (HMRC for example).

So for many grad schemes it isn't as clear cut as "well the head office is there so that's where I'll be working". On many grad schemes you have to go through the whole process and get accepted before finding out where you'll be working.

There's a difference between a grad scheme only having a limited range of locations (no problem - as you say this is to be expected) and a grad scheme expecting applicants to have the flexibility to entirely uproot their life to another city with two months' notice, often more than once during the programme. It's their choice to do so, but it does exclude a large number of applicants who simply don't have that flexibility.
Original post by Fortitude

It's great to hear that it's worked out for you (well done for the 2 offers- very impressive!) but like I mentioned above, lots of grad schemes have offices/are based in London and then have offices spread out, so I guess it depends whether you live near to any or not. :dontknow:

Aww thank you! I know what you mean. All the ones I applied for stated you have to be mobile across the country. I think there is actually more flexibility down the line, I did consider not applying for some based on the fact you have to be so mobile but it really wasn't as big an issue as I expected, so if people do want to apply I would give it a go anyway and just see what happens location wise.

The one I am going to (NHS) you pick regions in priority order. I live in Essex and chose 1) London, 2) East of England 3) South East and got given East of England. To start with the nearest office they could find was 60 miles away, but after more looking they found me an office 20 miles away. With Boots I picked North and East London, South London, then West London and got given North and East. I think they do let you have some choice and they understand about rental contracts and things ie. not constantly moving you. Don't get me wrong I do understand its not ideal, it really put me off! But things can work out even if you don't expect them to. It does make it feel as though you have to surrender your life a lift.e
Original post by Tinsley
Aww thank you! I know what you mean. All the ones I applied for stated you have to be mobile across the country. I think there is actually more flexibility down the line, I did consider not applying for some based on the fact you have to be so mobile but it really wasn't as big an issue as I expected, so if people do want to apply I would give it a go anyway and just see what happens location wise.

The one I am going to (NHS) you pick regions in priority order. I live in Essex and chose 1) London, 2) East of England 3) South East and got given East of England. To start with the nearest office they could find was 60 miles away, but after more looking they found me an office 20 miles away. With Boots I picked North and East London, South London, then West London and got given North and East. I think they do let you have some choice and they understand about rental contracts and things ie. not constantly moving you. Don't get me wrong I do understand its not ideal, it really put me off! But things can work out even if you don't expect them to. It does make it feel as though you have to surrender your life a lift.e

That's reassuring to hear, thank you, I guess you never know what might happen so it's worth giving it a shot. Wish you the very best for your career! :smile:

Hi. I haven’t been able to get into any graduate scheme. Can you please advise on companies I can apply to and how to get in other than graduate schemes. I studied Law. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending