The Student Room Group

how many reps do you go up in each exercise every workout?

progress for me is slow
last weeks progress was an increase in 1 rep on every set of 5 sets of barbell rows, so in total i did 60 reps on barbell rows, the week before that i did 55 reps.

progress is like this with all my exercises, only an increase in 4-5 total reps

how fast do you lot go up in strength?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How long have you been lifting? What is your diet/sleep like? What is your routine?

Given that you're asking these questions it suggests you're relatively new to it all, and hence I'd expect you to be able to progress a bit faster.
Reply 2
When I'm doing bodybuilding exercise I care more about the time under tension.

Lets say I do machine rows at a setting of 12 and do 12 reps.

Is that really better than doing it on a setting of 10 and doing 10 reps but the exercise lasting 40+ seconds longer?

It depends what you want strength or bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding is very subjective.
Strength is rep/weight achievement.
Reply 3
Original post by illusionz
How long have you been lifting? What is your diet/sleep like? What is your routine?

Given that you're asking these questions it suggests you're relatively new to it all, and hence I'd expect you to be able to progress a bit faster.

been lifting for 9 months so far, my diet is fine and my sleep sucks, although this has made no difference in progress really. I havent had these beginner 'noob gains'
Reply 4
Original post by AMG44
When I'm doing bodybuilding exercise I care more about the time under tension.

Lets say I do machine rows at a setting of 12 and do 12 reps.

Is that really better than doing it on a setting of 10 and doing 10 reps but the exercise lasting 40+ seconds longer?

It depends what you want strength or bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding is very subjective.
Strength is rep/weight achievement.

time under tension is a myth with no scientific proof that it works, you dont see ronnie coleman bothering with time under tension.
Everyone is not having same energy and power. So that different-2 people need different-2 time for achieving their goal. Do not get stressed for it. May be you will need some more time to grow up.
4 or 5 hard reps each set
Original post by Doob
been lifting for 9 months so far, my diet is fine and my sleep sucks, although this has made no difference in progress really. I havent had these beginner 'noob gains'

If you've never had noob gains then something is wrong. Your sleep could well be the issue.

I find setting new PBs after lack of sleep next to impossible, whereas when I'm well rested I can get PBs more often than not.
Original post by Doob

How much do you lift for the big 5? Squat/deadlift/bench/press/row?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Either your programming, diet or recovery sucks.

By the sounds of it it's a combination of all 3... however sleep is not always ideal, you can still get PBs on **** all sleep.

You've been going for 60 reps on barbell row? 6x10? That's damn daft especially as a noob.

What is your programme atm?
Reply 10
Original post by Angry cucumber
Either your programming, diet or recovery sucks.

By the sounds of it it's a combination of all 3... however sleep is not always ideal, you can still get PBs on **** all sleep.

You've been going for 60 reps on barbell row? 6x10? That's damn daft especially as a noob.

What is your programme atm?

Back workout:

-5 sets of dumbbell pullovers, i increase by about 4 total reps each workout
-5 sets of barbell rows last week i did 11,11,11,11,12
this week i got 12,12,12,12,12
-5 sets of power shrugs
-5 sets of dumbbell shrugs

as for the bold, why is it daft? I am progressively overloading, just at a slower rate than most people do.

i dont have a proper program because i am working out from home with no power rack.

my diet is fine 100> grams of fat a day, ample volume for hormone needs, im in a caloric surplus and have about 120g of protein a day

maybe its because i started puberty later than others? I have no idea, most people my age can grow a fair amount of facial hair, i started pubertyat 13, i used to eat lesss than 1500 calories a day for years on end with lots of cardio, now i eat 3000 calories a day. Im guessing my hormones are ****ed from under-eating for so long
(edited 9 years ago)
Drop to ~5 reps per set.
You don't need a body part split yet. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139911893 Read that.
Reply 12
Drop to ~5 reps per set.
You don't need a body part split yet. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139911893 Read that.

I know your meant to start with powerlifting movements mainly, but i dont have enough weight or a power rack to use, so the only compound movements i can do are bench presses and barbell rows, which are in my current routine.

Im not really training specifically for strength at the moment. So i dont want to go on low reps, the lowest i go is 6-8.
Original post by Doob
Im not really training specifically for strength at the moment. So i dont want to go on low reps, the lowest i go is 6-8.

Well don't whine about not making progress then....
Reply 14
Well don't whine about not making progress then....

i dont train specifically for strength, otherwise i would be a fat powerlifter and be doing 5x5. currently, that is not my goal, as i dont have the equipment possible, im not whining either really, im just wondering as to why other people can make better progress than me despite that fact i bust my ass when i workout,progressively overload, and eat fine.
Original post by Doob
i dont train specifically for strength, otherwise i would be a fat powerlifter and be doing 5x5. currently, that is not my goal, as i dont have the equipment possible, im not whining either really, im just wondering as to why other people can make better progress than me despite that fact i bust my ass when i workout,progressively overload, and eat fine.

Because your variation of progressive overload is crap. That's why.

You do not have to be a fat powerlifter to train for strength.
Reply 16
Because your variation of progressive overload is crap. That's why.

You do not have to be a fat powerlifter to train for strength.

Give me a better variation then?

I have a barbell, dumbbells and 55KG of weights and 2 chairs to use as as 'bench'.

Now please go ahead and give some input...
But..but..but if he doesn't do over 8 reps he won't build muscle?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doob
Give me a better variation then?

I have a barbell, dumbbells and 55KG of weights and 2 chairs to use as as 'bench'.

Now please go ahead and give some input...

Well there's your problem.

Join a gym.
Reply 19
Original post by Reps4Jesus
But..but..but if he doesn't do over 8 reps he won't build muscle?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, im interested are there any articles on hypertrophy from lower rep ranges? I was watching Jason Blaha and he said there was no difference between muscle growth from low rep trainers and high rep trainers.

Quick Reply

Latest