The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Uni accommodation

Just submitted my application for halls (genuinely more stressful than A-levels!) and I'm just wondering when most people hear back? I know it probably won't be any time soon, but just a rough estimate would put my mind at ease :wink:

Also, if anyone's heading off to Cardiff in September, what halls did you apply for? And have you heard back? (Can you tell I don't like waiting for things? :P )

I'm SO nervous that I won't get one of my top choices! Really really want talybont, but I know this is quite a late application, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much >.<

Thanks loads xxxx

Scroll to see replies

I applied for talybont as well! They're quite popular accommodation choices :smile: don't think we hear until results day to find out what we've been allocated as well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
they don't start giving out rooms until after results day,and then the order depends on when you submitted the application.

you're very unlikely to get one of your top choices with such a late application. people have been applying since february-ish and most of the talybont rooms are assigned by the time they get to may. not getting into talybont isn't the end of the world - all of the halls have their upsides. i stayed in uni halls and it was so much fun :smile:
Original post by brigantes
they don't start giving out rooms until after results day,and then the order depends on when you submitted the application.

you're very unlikely to get one of your top choices with such a late application. people have been applying since february-ish and most of the talybont rooms are assigned by the time they get to may. not getting into talybont isn't the end of the world - all of the halls have their upsides. i stayed in uni halls and it was so much fun :smile:

We do hear about accommodation but I'm guessing it is a first come, first served basis as people have heard back about their accommodation already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sophiewarland
We do hear about accommodation but I'm guessing it is a first come, first served basis as people have heard back about their accommodation already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the people who have already heard back must have unconditional offers. for most students, their offers won't become unconditional until after results day. the uni won't offer you accommodation until you have an unconditional offer to study, because they need to be sure you are actually coming.

after that it is done on a first come, first served basis
the people who have already heard back must have unconditional offers. for most students, their offers won't become unconditional until after results day. the uni won't offer you accommodation until you have an unconditional offer to study, because they need to be sure you are actually coming.

after that it is done on a first come, first served basis

That makes sense. just confusing when other people with conditional offers at other universities have already got their allocation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That makes sense. just confusing when other people with conditional offers at other universities have already got their allocation

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep every uni does it differently i suppose :smile:

in my opinion cardiff don't really have the best accommodation system. it would be easier if we just picked our gender and bathroom preferences and then were just given something that matched those, rather than faffing around with the preferred premises list. seems like a waste of time, since most people don't end up where they put at the top of their lists anyway, and i know it makes the staff's jobs much more complicated than they need to be.
(edited 9 years ago)
yep every uni does it differently i suppose :smile:

in my opinion cardiff don't really have the best accommodation system. it would be easier if we just picked our gender and bathroom preferences and then were just given something that matched those, rather than faffing around with the preferred premises list. seems like a waste of time, since most people don't end up where they put at the top of their lists anyway, and i know it makes the staff's jobs much more complicated than they need to be.

yeah I know. that would be a lot easier :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
yeah I know. that would be a lot easier :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

it would save a lot of people from being disappointed about not getting their first choice of location, when they really don't need to go through that! but cardiff have had this system in place for years and i don't see it changing any time soon :/
it would save a lot of people from being disappointed about not getting their first choice of location, when they really don't need to go through that! but cardiff have had this system in place for years and i don't see it changing any time soon :/

pretty sure the majority of universities have this system and Cardiff has a lot of accommodation so I don't think people mind that much in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pretty sure the majority of universities have this system and Cardiff has a lot of accommodation so I don't think people mind that much in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

actually the residences staff get LOADS of grief from people who haven't got their first choice. people definitely mind!
Reply 11
actually the residences staff get LOADS of grief from people who haven't got their first choice. people definitely mind!

How do you know so much about the process?
Also I have an unconditional offer but applied pretty late (25th June), how likely is it that I'll get one of my first few choices?
well I heard that making a late application is a disadvantage but that doesn't necessary mean that you won't get your top choices

I applyied about a month ago and now waiting for a response. Let's hope for the best *fingers crossed*
Reply 13
Original post by Millie_J
Just submitted my application for halls (genuinely more stressful than A-levels!) and I'm just wondering when most people hear back? I know it probably won't be any time soon, but just a rough estimate would put my mind at ease :wink:

Also, if anyone's heading off to Cardiff in September, what halls did you apply for? And have you heard back? (Can you tell I don't like waiting for things? :P )

I'm SO nervous that I won't get one of my top choices! Really really want talybont, but I know this is quite a late application, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much >.<

Thanks loads xxxx

Just got my accommodation this morning, so hopefully you'll get yours soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I applied for talybont as well! They're quite popular accommodation choices :smile: don't think we hear until results day to find out what we've been allocated as well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if we both get lucky we might end up in the same halls!

Yeah, I really doubt I'll get taly - I didn't realise it was first come first served! Had to wait for my student finance to get approved before I applied anyway though, so knowing wouldn't have changed anything :P
But that's ok, I've heard good things about most of the halls, so I'm sure it'll work out in the end :smile:

Original post by M_Kirk
Just got my accommodation this morning, so hopefully you'll get yours soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope so!! Do you mind if I ask when you applied (I must sound like crazy person being this obsessed! I'm just very impatient :wink: )

Also, I'm guessing your offer is unconditional? I don't really understand how it works, but do they process unconditional offer holders' applications first? Just wondering because my offer's unconditional, and it seems a bit unfair if they processed it before other peoples, especially I was so late ahaha

They should change the system so that they process everyone's at the same time without any of the first come first served, conditional/unconditional rubbish :P

Alright, thanks for all your replies, keep me posted on what halls you end up with!! Xxx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I applied around April, I think
Reply 16
I got my accommodation this afternoon and I applied in mid-April.
Original post by edera23
I got my accommodation this afternoon and I applied in mid-April.

Can I just ask, does your offer say your flat/room number or just the halls name?
Reply 18
Original post by Mojojojo
Can I just ask, does your offer say your flat/room number or just the halls name?

It says everything: hall's name, floor, flat and room number :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by edera23
It says everything: hall's name, floor, flat and room number :smile:

Ooh that makes me excited... And reassured! My friend from Southampton uni said they didn't know their flat/room number until the day they moved in, only their room type and halls!
I've got an unconditional too, so should hear soon, but all the Talybonts are my top choices and I don't think they've been allocated yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending