The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by GManTheGMan
Hi, I'm a newbie on the DaT stream although I was an existing Civil Servant so I understood the culture pretty well.

When I applied last year, there was a 20 page (or so) document in the application site saying what should be expected at each stage, and this was the most important for me. I gather some things have changed this year. So if they have that, everybody should read that.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're being very helpful and if you're able to answer all these questions on your own, that's probably a good sign :smile:. I think we'll both agree that sharing publicly available information on the process is fine.

What concerns me (and I wasn't on TSR at this early stage last year) is any questions that seem to be about how to game the system, or seeking other people's assistance about how they should answer questions. I'm a little confused by people who want a second chance at the psychometric test. It begs the question "were you lying the first time, or will you be lying the second time".

Finally, any queries about the application system (if you clicked a wrong button, for instance and killed your application, like I did!) should go to the team at parity (rather than here) as they're the only ones who can fix it.

Yes, this year there doesn't seem to be a large document but there is definitely an overview of the application process which has the answers to most of the questions I've seen here!

I had a friend who applied last year and was successful at FSAC very early on in the process, I think in January. She posted here and was inundated with PMs asking what the questions were - D'OH!

Thanks for stopping by though :smile: How is it going so far? I know so people here are applying to your scheme and would be happy to hear from a current Fast Streamer :smile: I hope it's working out well for you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, it's all good. I've been working for a month, so we haven't fully got into the swing of training and development yet, but hopefully I'll do a blog post or one those facebook Q and A things once I'm a bit further down the line.
Original post by godd
Does anyone have a rough idea of applicant to place ratio for these streams?

They produce detailed recruitment reports each year which you can Google up if you want more precise details, but generally the success rate is around 1.5-3% depending on steam, so around 35 to 65 applicants per place.
Reply 384
0.9% success rate for the European Fast Stream :'(
Reply 385
Original post by Gales
0.9% success rate for the European Fast Stream :'(

Gotta be in it to win it.
Is that 0.9% from stage 1 or at e-tray or at AC?
Reply 387
Original post by madl24903
Is that 0.9% from stage 1 or at e-tray or at AC?

Stage one.

Look at the report.

1.2% of people get through e-tray and 1.1% through AC
Original post by Quady
Stage one.

Look at the report.

Crikey! I got to e-tray, feel a bit special. :biggrin:

Stupid question but is that 1.1% of that 1.2%?
Reply 389
Original post by madl24903
Crikey! I got to e-tray, feel a bit special. :biggrin:

Stupid question but is that 1.1% of that 1.2%?

1.1% of the 1.2% of the 0.9%.
Reply 390
Original post by Quady
Stage one.

Look at the report.

I'm not 100% sure about the process as applying next year. If you pass the numerical, verbal and competency tests, are you automatically allowed to do the e-tray? Or are they selective as to who does it?
Original post by Gales
I'm not 100% sure about the process as applying next year. If you pass the numerical, verbal and competency tests, are you automatically allowed to do the e-tray? Or are they selective as to who does it?

There are different cut-off marks for different streams, and you may be immediately successful on one stream, and amber banded or unsuccessful on another.
Original post by Quady
1.1% of the 1.2% of the 0.9%.
Where do the 1.1% and 1.2% come from? I've only found the 0.9% stat.
Reply 393
Original post by GManTheGMan
There are different cut-off marks for different streams, and you may be immediately successful on one stream, and amber banded or unsuccessful on another.

I understand that, what I'm asking is if you are successful at the online tests are you automatically then eligible for the e-tray? Or is there something in between these two stages.
Reply 394
Original post by Gales
I understand that, what I'm asking is if you are successful at the online tests are you automatically then eligible for the e-tray? Or is there something in between these two stages.

Depends on the stream, but normally there is an application form you need to fill in.
Original post by Gales

My experience was that you went straight on, but I came through an in-service route so I did not have to do an application form.
Reply 396
Original post by Gales

After the online tests (numerical, verbal and competency) for the non-analytical schemes, you go to the application form. However, this is only used later. Provided you a) pass the tests and b) are eligible, you go through to the e-tray.

The only way I can see that you might get booted at the form stage is if you didn't meet a requirement such as degree score or nationality. Or of course if you don't submit the form in time!
Reply 397
Anyone heard back yet?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 398
Hi everyone and HR people in particular! :wavey:

There is a HR-themed live chat next week on Monday 13th from 12-1pm.

https://www.facebook.com/faststream
Reply 399
Original post by kat.lev
After the online tests (numerical, verbal and competency) for the non-analytical schemes, you go to the application form. However, this is only used later. Provided you a) pass the tests and b) are eligible, you go through to the e-tray.

The only way I can see that you might get booted at the form stage is if you didn't meet a requirement such as degree score or nationality. Or of course if you don't submit the form in time!

Thank you! Is the application form just personal details or questions on situations/competencies/reasons for wanting to join your chosen stream?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending