The Student Room Group

personal statement troubles!

I know they say (especially for medicine) not to start your personal statement with "growing up.." or "from a young age" but it's true!

*mod edit*

But the advisor at my school told me to scrap it but but but it's true like i'm
sorry it's cliched but idk what to do
(edited 9 years ago)
Had the same trouble with applying for Law. I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was 9, but apparently thats not normal so I cant write that XD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by NancyRoseC
I know they say (especially for medicine) not to start your personal statement with "growing up.." or "from a young age" but it's true!

I think this might be one of the rare times when it is relevant or useful. The fact that you've been a young carer is an important thing for universities to know (although I suppose it might be better placed in a reference). Normally people say don't include 'from a young age...' stuff because it's irrelevant - whether or not you liked a subject when you were 10 has no bearing upon how into it you are now. However, experience as a carer seems relevant to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by All-rounder
Had the same trouble with applying for Law. I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was 9, but apparently thats not normal so I cant write that XD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I have literally always been interested in medicine and the body and everything! my mum has always been ill and I used to read all the medication packets and talk to the nurses and read really complex anatomy books from a young age but idk!
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
I think this might be one of the rare times when it is relevant or useful. The fact that you've been a young carer is an important thing for universities to know (although I suppose it might be better placed in a reference). Normally people say don't include 'from a young age...' stuff because it's irrelevant - whether or not you liked a subject when you were 10 has no bearing upon how into it you are now. However, experience as a carer seems relevant to me.

I was a young carer from 5+ (helping sort medication and make timetables and get blankets and stuff), and was supported by young carers association from 8+ put i don't know whether they care - should I put that in?
Reply 5
Its not too much of a bad start i think, its going on the right lines Just need to try adjust the wording quite a bit.

Perhaps pop to the PS helpers / Med subsection and ask for their views on your predicament too.
I was a young carer from 5+ (helping sort medication and make timetables and get blankets and stuff), and was supported by young carers association from 8+ put i don't know whether they care - should I put that in?

I think it should be mentioned in your personal statement, but I wouldn't go into much detail about it - it might seem as if you're begging for sympathy points (even though you aren't). If they're interested in learning more, they'll ask at interview.

I have literally always been interested in medicine and the body and everything! my mum has always been ill and I used to read all the medication packets and talk to the nurses and read really complex anatomy books from a young age but idk!

Is this in your PS? Because this doesn't need to be.

a) do not post extracts from your PS on the public forum - UCAS trawl the web for PS content and you could end up getting flagged for plagiarism.

b) have you read http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Advice_for_People_Writing_their_Medicine_Personal_Statements#Introduction

There's nothing wrong with referencing something that affected you when you were quite young - the problem comes when that doesn't actually explain why you would want to do a specific course/career (eg saying "I've always wanted to be a doctor" doesn't tell the reader WHY). If you can put a personal spin on it and make it clear why those experiences lead you to wanting to become a doctor then you're fine.

c) the TSR https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/ PS drafting tool is useful to use to help make sure you include everything you want to say and avoid too many obvious/common mistakes.
Reply 8
Original post by PythianLegume
I think it should be mentioned in your personal statement, but I wouldn't go into much detail about it - it might seem as if you're begging for sympathy points (even though you aren't). If they're interested in learning more, they'll ask at interview.

Is this in your PS? Because this doesn't need to be.

no no of course not! I don't really write anything else after that about my home life - just how it inspired me to do more work experience
try making up a good definition of what it means to you, I applied for English starting - words are our most inexhaustible resourse, they allow us to clothe our thoughts and feelings; enabling us to express ourselves, such is the reason for my passion etc...
I have removed quotes containing parts of your statement. It can be used by others and UCAS checks the internet for plagiarism too so they may consider it copied. It is best not to post your statement or any part of it online.

Wanting to do medicine is not reason enough to get you a place, and the fact that you wanted to do it since 5 is irrelevant. I would think your ideas would have changed in the last 10-15 years and they want to know why you want to do it now. Acting as a carer is an important experience, but don't sell it cheap. Use it to show them why you're a better applicant and that is not through showing you wanted it longer.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending