The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma IT September 2014

Just wanna start this thread for anyone doing an IT related BTEC starting September 2014

I will hopefully be doing Software Development, anyone else starting this course or a similar IT BTEC?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOnlyVlad
Just wanna start this thread for anyone doing an IT related BTEC starting September 2014

I will hopefully be doing Software Development, anyone else starting this course or a similar IT BTEC?

I might be, so sorry for posting here even though I'm still deciding. :biggrin:

I'm deciding between doing A-Levels or BTEC IT. :smile: If I do BTEC I'll be doing Extended Diploma I think it's called (the one that's equivalent to 3 A-Levels).

I think I'll be doing A-Levels instead however, as I'm not sure if I want to go into Computer Science or not yet. If I do A-Levels I'll be doing Computing, Maths, Biology and English Literature. Might change Maths to Psychology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yellowcopter

I'm deciding between doing A-Levels or BTEC IT. :smile: If I do BTEC I'll be doing Extended Diploma I think it's called (the one that's equivalent to 3 A-Levels).

I think I'll be doing A-Levels instead however, as I'm not sure if I want to go into Computer Science or not yet. If I do A-Levels I'll be doing Computing, Maths, Biology and English Literature. Might change Maths to Psychology.

That is exactly my situation dude. I also cant yet choose between the 2, although Im leaning more towards the BTEC because my school doesn't do computing but only ICT A level which from what I understand is rubbish if you wanna do computer science. Im thinking of taking A level maths on the side too if I do choose the BTEC
Reply 3
I've recently completed the Betec extended in It, I can't recommend it enough. You have to put a lot of work into it but your essentially guaranteed the grade you want since its coursework based. The Max points you can get is 420 I believe. I would say if you defiantly want to do IT then take the Betec if not consider A levels. I've started on a web development course at uni from doing betec .

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is exactly my situation dude. I also cant yet choose between the 2, although Im leaning more towards the BTEC because my school doesn't do computing but only ICT A level which from what I understand is rubbish if you wanna do computer science. Im thinking of taking A level maths on the side too if I do choose the BTEC

ICT isn't necessarily rubbish if you want to do Computer Science but it's not needed. Most people just apply with Maths and no IT related A-Levels, BTEC IT or Computing A-Level. Some even apply with 3 A-Levels + BTEC IT Certificate (which is Eqiv to 1 A-Level I think) over doing ICT A-Level.

I don't know, it's really hard to choose. If I do BTEC I'm stuck with an IT only qualification and I can't get into anything other than IT. If I do A-Levels it leaves me more options.
ICT isn't necessarily rubbish if you want to do Computer Science but it's not needed. Most people just apply with Maths and no IT related A-Levels, BTEC IT or Computing A-Level. Some even apply with 3 A-Levels + BTEC IT Certificate (which is Eqiv to 1 A-Level I think) over doing ICT A-Level.

I don't know, it's really hard to choose. If I do BTEC I'm stuck with an IT only qualification and I can't get into anything other than IT. If I do A-Levels it leaves me more options.

You could possibly stress the place you're applying for to allow you to do both a BTEC and A-Level(s)

Regards to what you say about being stuck with IT.. This isn't necessarily true if you intend on going to university, few people in my year actually applied for a degree which isn't relevant to IT. One applied for Engineering, and 2 other people applied for Public Services, or a course related to it.

Even then, being stuck with IT isn't necessarily bad since IT branches off into many many different careers.

EDIT: Studying a wide range of A-Levels will of course give you a wider range of universities and courses to apply to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Binary Freak
You could possibly stress the place you're applying for to allow you to do both a BTEC and A-Level(s)

Regards to what you say about being stuck with IT.. This isn't necessarily true if you intend on going to university, few people in my year actually applied for a degree which isn't relevant to IT. One applied for Engineering, and 2 other people applied for Public Services, or a course related to it.

Even then, being stuck with IT isn't necessarily bad since IT branches off into many many different careers.

EDIT: Studying a wide range of A-Levels will of course give you a wider range of universities and courses to apply to.

The sixth form I applied to said I can do the L3 IT BTEC Certificate (Eqiv to 1 A-Level) but only with 2 other A-Levels, so I'll only have 2 A-Levels and a BTEC. I think I might be better off just doing the whole BTEC Extended Diploma or just all A-Levels, because both seem like a better option then a combination if I'm not wrong? :smile:

Ah I see, I didn't mean stuck but I just thought that doing a BTEC in IT would not allow me to go into other sectors of university if I decide not to do Computer Science. I didn't know I could also get into other courses. Though, if I don't do Computer Science I want to do Psychology, Biology or English. All of which I'd need to do A-Levels for, as a BTEC in IT isn't relevant to them. Which is why I think maybe doing A-Levels is better, considering I am planning to do all those subjects at A-Level if I do choose to do them over BTEC.
The sixth form I applied to said I can do the L3 IT BTEC Certificate (Eqiv to 1 A-Level) but only with 2 other A-Levels, so I'll only have 2 A-Levels and a BTEC. I think I might be better off just doing the whole BTEC Extended Diploma or just all A-Levels, because both seem like a better option then a combination if I'm not wrong? :smile:

Ah I see, I didn't mean stuck but I just thought that doing a BTEC in IT would not allow me to go into other sectors of university if I decide not to do Computer Science. I didn't know I could also get into other courses. Though, if I don't do Computer Science I want to do Psychology, Biology or English. All of which I'd need to do A-Levels for, as a BTEC in IT isn't relevant to them. Which is why I think maybe doing A-Levels is better, considering I am planning to do all those subjects at A-Level if I do choose to do them over BTEC.

Perhaps it'd be better then to do one or the other. Although doing both would provide you better insight, it'll just mean you'll be a little limited to what universities you can apply for.

A certificate is 0.5 A-Levels. In fact, I don't know where your college/school gets off saying you can only do the certificate. Anyone with any sense and motivation could easily complete the certificate in a small amount of time. I think there's only 2 mandatory units, so the least they could do is allow you to choose which optional unit you can do.
Original post by Binary Freak
Perhaps it'd be better then to do one or the other. Although doing both would provide you better insight, it'll just mean you'll be a little limited to what universities you can apply for.

A certificate is 0.5 A-Levels. In fact, I don't know where your college/school gets off saying you can only do the certificate. Anyone with any sense and motivation could easily complete the certificate in a small amount of time. I think there's only 2 mandatory units, so the least they could do is allow you to choose which optional unit you can do.

Yeah so that only leaves me with 2.5 A-Levels, compared to when I could be doing an Extended Diploma worth 3 or 3 A-Levels and 1 AS-Level. I think that's way too limited, but they only offer Certificate and Extended Diploma so if I want to do a combination 2.5 is all I can do. They're also the only sixth form in my area that offer it so yeah. They're also the only sixth form in my area to offer Computing A-Level and CISCO Networking too which is why I applied there. That and other factors like it's a good sixth form.

I'm in a bit of a corner I suppose. :s-smilie: I have until results day to come to a decision anyway so, meh.
Yeah so that only leaves me with 2.5 A-Levels, compared to when I could be doing an Extended Diploma worth 3 or 3 A-Levels and 1 AS-Level. I think that's way too limited, but they only offer Certificate and Extended Diploma so if I want to do a combination 2.5 is all I can do. They're also the only sixth form in my area that offer it so yeah. They're also the only sixth form in my area to offer Computing A-Level and CISCO Networking too which is why I applied there. That and other factors like it's a good sixth form.

I'm in a bit of a corner I suppose. :s-smilie: I have until results day to come to a decision anyway so, meh.

Personally for me, I wouldn't even do the Cisco Network Academy, even if it was free. Most academies are part time, which going by the CCNA topics and objectives would take 6 months to 2 years.. I could easily achieve the exact same, if not more in less time.

The college I attended didn't have a lecturer fit for the CCNA course, so I was forced to self teach myself, I started a few weeks ago, I'll probably have it for the time I start university. I'm not really rushing on it though.. I'm taking my time to consume the information.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've just finished the BTEC, and I'm starting University in September.

I fully recommend it - the pressure of having exams is not something I'm very keen on, so doing a BTEC relieves that. The fact that it's focused on what you want to learn is cool, but any Level 3 course isn't going to be really deep in-depth compared to studying at University (which even for computing can be quite broad unless you choose a subject like Software Engineering which is more precise).

The hugest problem is Cisco, you may have a unit for this where you have to sit an exam. From what I've heard, other students at different colleges had a much better experience with it, but from my experience it was horrible and I ended up dropping the unit.

I dropped a few units in the second year, because of medical problems, I finished 9 units in the first year all to distinction, then submitted 3 in the second year, which adds up to 12 units, so my college entered me for the 120 Credit Diploma, instead of the usual 180 Credit Diploma.

Any problems you have with the coursework can usually be resolved by researching online for relevant information. The specification for BTEC units is very detailed and can help you to find what you need to cover or learn about, sometimes teachers will be vague intentionally in assignment briefs (or just bad at writing them) so it helps a lot to just be able to look up what you need to know. Your college may recommend books to learn from for the BTEC, but you can research all of the information online - some people have even been silly enough to submit full assignments online so anyone can view them (although plagiarism will catch up to you, you'll get a great idea of what your teacher may expect of you for the assignment).

Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I'll probably be able to answer them.

The BTEC in IT is great if you know what you want to do and don't do well in exams. If you are still uncertain about course, then at least you have 3 chances with A Levels I guess.

Good luck with your decisions.
Original post by mynameisntdoug
I've just finished the BTEC, and I'm starting University in September.

What course are you doing? If you don't mind me asking
What course are you doing? If you don't mind me asking

Just finished the BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in IT, about to start a BA course in Digital Music, but I got the following offers (for the Extended Diploma):

Computer Science: University of Brighton - DMM (280 points)

Computing: University of East London - MMM (240 points) + GCSE Maths at C or Functional Skills Maths at Level 2

Computing: London South Bank University - MMM (240 points) + GCSE Maths at C or Functional Skills Maths at Level 2

Music Computing: Goldsmiths, University of London (wanted an interview, but would've asked for DDM - 320 points)

I would've applied to bigger universities if I had a maths qualification, make sure if you are interested in university, that you have a C in Maths and English at least. A lot of Computer Science/Computing courses will ask for a C, but some will want an A or B in Maths. Functional Skills Maths at Level 2 is equivalent to a C. I think a lot of people with lower grades can blag their way on to uni degree courses even if they don't meet grade requirements by making a good impression at open days, interviews and in your personal statement - but it's not worth the risk of them saying no. If you don't have these qualifications yet, speak to your college when you start about doing resits for Maths and English.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
I'm gonna go on to do this in A2 now as well. I also do two other a level subjects a long with it.

What I'm most worried about is entry requirements for universities asking for stuff like ABB. Getting all distinctions wont count as that third B right?

Also, how many ucas points is three distinctions worth?
Original post by Murgundy
I'm gonna go on to do this in A2 now as well. I also do two other a level subjects a long with it.

What I'm most worried about is entry requirements for universities asking for stuff like ABB. Getting all distinctions wont count as that third B right?

Also, how many ucas points is three distinctions worth?

You're going to do a BTEC in A2? You're probably not doing the Extended Diploma, which is the 2-year course which equates to 3 A Levels. The Extended Diploma is worth 360 UCAS points when you earn DDD, which means you have to have 17 units completed to distinction level and 1 pass (although this can very if you replace some units with merits, etc). It's unlikely you're doing the Extended Diploma because it's a 2 year course and you're probably in your second year if you're doing A2s. Each unit has 60 guided learning hours and you probably wouldn't be able to fit that in with A Levels too.

It's very likely you're doing the 90 Credit Diploma, Subsidiary Diploma or Certificate if you're doing this alongside your A Levels.

And no, it won't count towards your A Level score, but your UCAS points instead. You'll have to speak to your choices if this is acceptable, but in most cases it will be as long as you speak to the admissions department (you can do this via email before you send your UCAS application off).

You can find a chart here: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/btecqcf
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by mynameisntdoug
You're going to do a BTEC in A2? You're probably not doing the Extended Diploma, which is the 2-year course which equates to 3 A Levels. The Extended Diploma is worth 360 UCAS points when you earn DDD, which means you have to have 17 units completed to distinction level and 1 pass (although this can very if you replace some units with merits, etc). It's unlikely you're doing the Extended Diploma because it's a 2 year course and you're probably in your second year if you're doing A2s. Each unit has 60 guided learning hours and you probably wouldn't be able to fit that in with A Levels too.

It's very likely you're doing the 90 Credit Diploma, Subsidiary Diploma or Certificate if you're doing this alongside your A Levels.

And no, it won't count towards your A Level score, but your UCAS points instead. You'll have to speak to your choices if this is acceptable, but in most cases it will be as long as you speak to the admissions department (you can do this via email before you send your UCAS application off).

You can find a chart here: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/btecqcf

I actually just finished my first year and I'm going to be going on to my second year. The course that I'm doing is called Btec Extended Diploma in IT but I'm pretty sure I'm doing a certificate course, its just that I'm covering the same content.

And thanks for the info, it helped a lot!
Original post by Murgundy
I actually just finished my first year and I'm going to be going on to my second year. The course that I'm doing is called Btec Extended Diploma in IT but I'm pretty sure I'm doing a certificate course, its just that I'm covering the same content.

And thanks for the info, it helped a lot!

As I said, what you get is judged by the amount of units you do. Maybe you're in the same class as people doing the Extended Diploma, but you're actually doing the Certificate - unless you're actually doing the Extended Diploma and have confused the terminology.

I did the 120 Credit Diploma instead of Extended, so it's different but you cover the same units in the same depth, just less of them.

Do you know how many units you're doing over 2 years? Once you know, you'll be able to calculate how many UCAS points you'll get.
Reply 17
I'm starting this course in September. The college I attend are going to enter us first for the 90 credit though in case of any dropouts. I am deciding however, whether I should only do the one year 90 credit version, along side Maths, English and Science GCSE so that I can do A levels in 2015. I am a slight mature student (20 going on 21) who didn't do my GCSE's, so doing this course gives me the opportunity to do the GCSE's required for A level for free. Though I do need to inquire about if doing the A levels will incur a cost as this wasn't mentioned when I asked the college about A levels. The university I want to go to is, university of Birmingham who only take a levels or BTEC with A level maths, (No access courses).

Most universities will take BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in IT for Computer Science courses, but not anybody in the top 20 or so, they'd at least require maths A level along side it.

The BTEC does help you prepare for the world of work though as it provides the application part which has quite a bit of synergy with your computer science degree that gives you a more theoretical, mathematical knowledge.

A level ICT is useless. A level Computing is well worth it, there are two reason that it isn't required for a computer science course.

1, Not every institution offers this A level.
2, because most of the content in A level Computing is similar to first year computer science, so this will more than get you ready for your computer science course.

If I can do A levels, I will be choosing

Computing
Maths
Physics
Either Biology, History, Archaeology or Psychology.

Though I cannot decide between these four for the last A level, since Biology is meant to take up quite a lot of time, which would distract from the other A levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cnova
I'm starting this course in September. The college I attend are going to enter us first for the 90 credit though in case of any dropouts.

Most people who do the Extended Diploma do the 90-credit Diploma in the first year, then their 9 units from the first year are added together in the second year for the Extended Diploma.

Original post by cnova
Most universities will take BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in IT for Computer Science courses, but not anybody in the top 20 or so, they'd at least require maths A level along side it.

This is absolute garbage. You haven't done your research.

The following universities in the top 20 accept BTECs for Computer Science:

8. Bath Uni - Computer Science BSc

11. Lancaster Uni - Computer Science BSc

12. Surrey Uni - Computer Science BSc

13. Loughborough Uni - Computer Science BSc

14. York Uni - Computer Science BSc

20. Newcastle Uni - Computer Science BSc

18. Bristol Uni - Computer Science BSc

17. Birmingham Uni - Computer Science BSc (fairly certain but contact admissions)

16. Southampton Uni - Computer Science BSc

15. East Anglia Uni - Computing Science BSc

Original post by cnova
I am deciding however, whether I should only do the one year 90 credit version, along side Maths, English and Science GCSE so that I can do A levels in 2015.

Most universities will not care about a Science GCSE, it may look good for you as a mature student, but it's not as important as English or Maths GCSEs.

Original post by cnova
I am a slight mature student (20 going on 21) who didn't do my GCSE's, so doing this course gives me the opportunity to do the GCSE's required for A level for free.

Your free education will be cut off when you complete your first level 3 qualification, unless you make an agreement with the jobcentre (although I am not certain they accept this).

Original post by cnova
Though I do need to inquire about if doing the A levels will incur a cost as this wasn't mentioned when I asked the college about A levels. The university I want to go to is, university of Birmingham who only take a levels or BTEC with A level maths, (No access courses).

I believe you have read this wrong, those are required subjects for A Levels. Send an email to the admissions team to clarify this for you, I'm 90% certain that it's only in place for A Level students, however the GCSEs are required.
Reply 19
This is absolute garbage. You haven't done your research.

The following universities in the top 20 accept BTECs for Computer Science:

8. Bath Uni - Computer Science BSc

11. Lancaster Uni - Computer Science BSc

12. Surrey Uni - Computer Science BSc

13. Loughborough Uni - Computer Science BSc

14. York Uni - Computer Science BSc

20. Newcastle Uni - Computer Science BSc

18. Bristol Uni - Computer Science BSc

17. Birmingham Uni - Computer Science BSc (fairly certain but contact admissions)

16. Southampton Uni - Computer Science BSc

15. East Anglia Uni - Computing Science BSc

I said that they would at least require A level maths, I wasn't completely wrong. Here is the entry requirements from Bath.

We welcome applications from students studying BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas in mathematical or computing related subjects. We prefer applicants to have also studied AS or A Level Mathematics alongside this qualification and encourage students to take this route if it is available to them. Applicants who are not studying AS or A Level Maths must have achieved a grade A in GCSE Mathematics and may be invited to attend an interview.

Most universities will not care about a Science GCSE, it may look good for you as a mature student, but it's not as important as English or Maths GCSEs.

The Maths, English and Science GCSE's are so that I can take A levels. A levels require these qualifications at either C or B to enroll.

Your free education will be cut off when you complete your first level 3 qualification, unless you make an agreement with the jobcentre (although I am not certain they accept this).

I'll have to see how much it costs then.

I believe you have read this wrong, those are required subjects for A Levels. Send an email to the admissions team to clarify this for you, I'm 90% certain that it's only in place for A Level students, however the GCSEs are required.

You're right. But, you have to have Maths for IT practitioners unit at Distinction* or A level maths at grade C.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and clear up my confusion about a few things.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending